What did you have for dinner?

Joined Oct 10, 2020
I wanted to try something a little different. So I made Chicken (Beer Batter) and waffles tonight. IT was good.. The chicken was not as good as the first time, I think that I forgot some of the spices... The family really like though...

Joined Jul 13, 2012
A clean out the fridge night yesterday. Had some chicken thighs, bacon, brussels sprouts and leftover rice. As good as if I planned it - LOL.

Joined Nov 5, 2007
Had a rough week at work, wore me out more than I expected. But two days off now, don't need to be back to work until Wednesday at 10 pm. So I treated myself to a nice pork chop. Pan fried with a butter, garlic and vermouth pan sauce, a couple of sunny eggs on a slice of rye toast.

20201214_093753.jpg

I'm hoping to get in a soup dish tomorrow. Wonder if I can find whole haddock anywhere in Salt Lake?

mjb.

Joined Oct 10, 2020
A clean out the fridge night yesterday. Had some chicken thighs, bacon, brussels sprouts and leftover rice. As good as if I planned it - LOL.

Those are sometimes the best dishes. I did one for lunch the other day, had some uncooked chicken with onions, and finger potatoes. Cooked in a pan wiht a little colorado whiskey, and butter. Then added a little cheese, and a few chips. Also did a artichoke dip. It was a few things that I had left over in the refrigerator. Nice looking dish...

Joined May 4, 2005
Had a rough week at work, wore me out more than I expected. But two days off now, don't need to be back to work until Wednesday at 10 pm. So I treated myself to a nice pork chop. Pan fried with a butter, garlic and vermouth pan sauce, a couple of sunny eggs on a slice of rye toast.

View attachment 69306

I'm hoping to get in a soup dish tomorrow. Wonder if I can find whole haddock anywhere in Salt Lake?

mjb.
That's a nice Basque portion of garlic on top of that chop!

Joined Aug 21, 2004
Sweet potato and ricotta gnocchi with a hint of nutmeg
tossed in a cream sauce flavored with garlic and onion
along with prosciutto, shrimp, white asparagus, and Parmigiano-Reggiano
garnished with pine nuts, hard boiled eggs, lemon zest, rosemary, and crushed butter pretzels

gnocchi.jpg

Joined Oct 10, 2020
Very nice.. I was going to do a Xmas dinner of doughnut hamburgers. Went to the local doughnut shop, and they had been completely wiped out. Could not believe, they always have things in stock...

Joined Nov 9, 2020
BBQ'd Filet Mignon, butter sautee'd green beans with garlic and my "secret Swiss spice medley", and a shredded grean salad with a glass of Sangria... Green Tea Mochi for desert. Simple, filling, and happy.

Joined Nov 5, 2007
Did one of those little turkey breasts, a five pounder before trimming. I cut off the ribs and the neck section, use those with some other parts to make stock. Quick, tasty, and when you only have 2 - 3 people to feed much better than a whole bird.

20201224_185800.jpg

Winter solstice has passed, days are getting longer here in the Northern hemisphere. Soon we'll be cursing the summer heat.

mjb.

Joined Oct 23, 2008
I had two friends over (one of them brought their wife and kids) after not seeing them for a year due to covid. I also had planned to give my new next door neighbors a nice meal in some takeout containers so I cooked quite a bit. 3 slabs of ribs, a 6 lb pork loin, potato salad, a goofy looking key lime pie, and not pictured here we had bbq baked beans, collard greens, and cheddar jalapeno cornbread.

sundaybbq1.jpg
sundaybbq2.jpg
sundaybbq3.jpg
sundaybbq4.jpg

Joined Nov 5, 2007
It is New Year's Day. Tradition says black eye peas.

20210101_125313.jpg

The market I frequent had no collards, these are mustard greens.

20210101_113224.jpg

And gluten free cornbread my wife can eat, with a good amount of grated cheddar.

Here's hoping 2021 brings good luck and prosperity.

mjb.

Joined Oct 23, 2008
Right there with you @teamfat .. for those that don't know I believe these particular foods are mostly southern tradition, but each item has symbolism for New Years Day. "The peas, since they swell when cooked, symbolize prosperity; the greens symbolize money; the pork, because pigs root forward when foraging, represents positive motion. Cornbread, which represents gold, also often accompanies this meal."

Happy New Year! Cheers

newyearsdaymeal.jpg

Joined Dec 30, 2020
I'm new here, and figured this'd be a good place to chime in. Here are a few things I've made recently:

IMG-20201230-WA0000.jpg

I marinated the chicken in buttermilk, stuffed it with sausage, shallot, garlic and cherry tomatoes (the stuffing became the base for the sauce, which was made by sautéing the stuffing in the chicken fat, mixing deglazed with crisp apple cider and mixed with the chicken juices, then strained.)

IMG-20201219-WA0005.jpg

Filet Mignon with green beans, baked baby potatoes (marinated in fresh rosemary, garlic, olive oil, salt and pepper) and salad (made with home made candied walnuts, sliced apples, dried cranberries and a maple/apple cider vinaigrette.) Desert was an eggnog panna cotta.

IMG-20201202-WA0000.jpg

Grilled New York strip with green beans, butternut squash soup and a tomato basil focaccia

IMG-20200819-WA0001.jpg

Gyudon (my wife likes her rice and protein side by side), a Japanese Steakhouse-style salad and miso soup (prepared with homemade dashi.)

Joined Oct 23, 2008
Welcome @singularity6 .. looks like you eat very well! I enjoy doing themed meals like you would get at a restaurant too.. the gyudon looks great and with covid it's nice to be able to create something at home that you would otherwise have to venture out for.

I had 1 pork chop left over from New Years so I poked around in the fridge and saw my kraut and remembered I had vacuum sealed some roasted cabbage and onions, so I decided I'd do a little German inspired dish. I don't think I've ever created a more "brown" dish though :D

germanchop.jpg

Joined Oct 23, 2008
Continuing on the talk about recreating meals we miss from a time when we could visit places. We created a Chinese meal of black bean tofu with rice, wontons, wonton soup, and baby bok choy.

chinese0920.jpg

Top Bottom