What did you have for dinner?

Joined Jul 13, 2012
I made Boeuf Bourguigon yesterday for dinner today. But last night I made chicken thighs. I seasoned them with HerbOx bullion powder mixed with evoo and pepper. Skin side down in a cold pan and medium heat will the fat is rendered and the skin is crisp, turn and finish. The russet was done in the microwave then cut, seasoned and finished in the schmalz. The gravy was a bit if the bourguigon jus. With peas in butter it was a real nice meal.

Joined Nov 5, 2007
Still have some of the pastrami I made left. Used all of the sauerkraut I had in the one pot challenge, should have saved some for this grilled pastrami and swiss sandwich.

20201110_035710.jpg

It was generously slathered with a thousand island - horseradish mix.

20201110_040011.jpg

And those Hoot & Holler pickles from Pirate Os have a really nice kick to them. Very tasty meal.

mjb.

Joined Jul 13, 2012
Since I didn't get a pic of the original meal I got one of the leftover meal. Some foods always taste better a day, or two later and in this case it was collard and mustard greens made with mire poix, and ham. Served with roast chicken and a skillet of corn bread. Oh man it was so good . . .

Joined Nov 5, 2007
Love a good batch of greens! And always good when pork products are used, and as one can see from my recent One Pot entry, I do like pork products!

mjb.

Joined Nov 17, 2020
Today was "Russia" so I made Ratner's vegetarian cabbage soup - a recipe by Russian Jews - and Piroshki - Russian for Knish, but with meat. My Piroshki filling was kasha, leek and pork sausage. My DIL who says ewe to cabbage made three trips to the well - she'll be regular tomorrow - LOL. The Piroshki's were brilliant - simple, yet complex in flavor a real treat. I experimented using pizza dough for half and ready made pie dough for the rest. The pizza ones were like little calzones and the pie dough ones were thin, but both were good. Next time I'm short on time I'll go back to fusing two pieces of croissant dough together - it works and is easier than making rough puff from scratch. All in all it was a good day - someone's stroganoff was not cooked enough before the noodles were added (cheap beef was tough as leather), but someone else's Russian tea cookies were stellar.
hi! I have been searching for the Ratner's cabbage soup recipe for years! How close is your recipe to the real deal and what do the eggs do to the soup? thank you! Remember the soup carts around manhattan???

Joined Jul 13, 2012
hi! I have been searching for the Ratner's cabbage soup recipe for years! How close is your recipe to the real deal and what do the eggs do to the soup? thank you! Remember the soup carts around manhattan???

Yes and I remember the waiter bringing a warm bowl and a tin cup of soup to the table. He would pour the soup into the bowl so no one would feel "slighted". That kind of thinking has gone by the wayside I'm afraid. I do it in our house with the grand kids, but . . .

Anyway here is the recipe from the cookbook (which I don't own) I got it from chowhound.com, but they're whole thing has changed and I can't log in anymore: https://cheftalk.com/threads/cabbage-soup.78194/

Joined Nov 9, 2020
We cheated, and unashamedly so - our local hole in the wall mexican place does the rare batch of lengua this time of year (usually only for catered events like weddings, christenings, 1st communions, etc.), and does it well... and I was able to piggy back on that and get dinner for me and the other half. QUick, cheap, and good.

Sometimes it's not what you know as much as it's who you know!!!

Joined Nov 17, 2020
Yes and I remember the waiter bringing a warm bowl and a tin cup of soup to the table. He would pour the soup into the bowl so no one would feel "slighted". That kind of thinking has gone by the wayside I'm afraid. I do it in our house with the grand kids, but . . .

Anyway here is the recipe from the cookbook (which I don't own) I got it from chowhound.com, but they're whole thing has changed and I can't log in anymore: https://cheftalk.com/threads/cabbage-soup.78194/
thank you! I will try it! much appreciated!

Joined Oct 10, 2020
Last night I made a dish that I was very surprise how it turned out. I took chicken, and beef. Cut it into small pieces. Took all the meat and put it in bowl. Then poured BBQ sauce into the bowl. Then put 2 tsp of whiskey. (use your favorite). Then I left it sit in the cold box for 8 - 9 hours. Then cut up a 1.4 of an onion and tossed on top. Made some rice, and cooked the meat combo on a grill that went over the stove. Added some bell pepper at the time of cooking.

Put it over rice and it was really good.

Joined Jul 13, 2012
I didn't feel like pizza after planting 222 garlics so I made as simple of a meal as I cold think of. I had thawed out a package of home made Italian sausage so I browned them off in a little evoo. When they were cooked I added minced onion, garlic and parsley to the pan along with some anchovy oil and 4-5 anchovy fillets. I had two egg whites from making mayo the other day so I added grated cheese and pasta water to that to temper then added that to the pan before adding the el dente pasta to finish. Topped with fried breadcrumbs it was pretty freakin' good.

Joined Nov 10, 2020
Baked honey-mustard chicken that had minced garlic, white wine, and a bit of Sriracha added for heat.

Rice pilaf and broccoli and wine.

Attachments

• 20201115_190702.jpg
    20201115_190702.jpg
    207 KB · Views: 13
Joined Jul 13, 2012
Since I'm doing the heavy lifting for T-day I started today. At the end of the day I wanted some comfort food and made "dirty" grits with pork sausage and egg with peasant bread toast - perfect!

Here's a tip - hydrate your grits in the water you're going to cook them in. Over night is best, but I did mine for 4hrs (believe me it's worth at least that) as you can skim any floaters off the top. On that note the pro soaks over night - just like beans.

Last edited:
Joined May 4, 2005
I made French onion soup in one pot, and I even presented it in all its crouton and bubbly cheese glory in one dish like a casserole. Sadly, I was too distracted by the thought of eating it, I forgot to snap a photo. Here's what I did capture. I used my own sourdough.

Onions, sherry, thyme, beef broth, sourdough, gruyere. Done. I resisted cheffing it up too much like I usually do. So good.

PXL_20201124_184955084.jpg View attachment 69127 PXL_20201124_194653849.LS_exported_67_1606367839304.jpg

Hmm.. I meant for this to be in the one-pot thread but I can't find the option to delete. Oh well!

Last edited:
Joined Aug 21, 2004
Can't remember the last time I didn't work Thanksgiving, but not this year...2020 is certainly one for the books, no family gathering this year, no friends over, no restaurant insanity...just made dinner for the wife and I...a very unusual and quiet Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving2020.jpg

Wild Turkey Breast grilled with a Hatchomiso, Cracked Black Pepper, and Maple Syrup Glaze, topped with a Butternut Squash Korma Sauce

Baked Garnet Yams, split open and mashed, drizzled with Coconut Milk, and garnished with Toasted Coconut, Pomegranate Arils, Cilantro, and Lime Wedges

Blanched Broccoli tossed with a Lemon Pepper Butter

Fresh Cranberry, Deglet Noor Date, Citrus, Ginger, and Cinnamon Relish

Pumpkin Ice Cream.jpg

Pumpkin Ice Cream and sprinkled with a Crumbled Gingersnaps, Toasted Pecans and Coconut, Grated Bittersweet Chocolate, and Cinnamon; and drizzled with Maple Syrup

Top Bottom