What did you have for dinner?

Joined Jul 13, 2012
It was a humble meal tonight - pancakes, bacon and real maple syrup. The only thing that would improve on this is some pan fried yellow perch.

Last edited:
Joined Oct 12, 2020
Your pancakes sound delicious.
I had some friends over today so I did a mini High Tea. Egg sandwiches, ham and salad sandwiches, salad wraps and cream slices. image.jpeg

Joined Jan 9, 2019
I love Uuni pizza ovens! Or Ooni whatever you prefer to call it. I have both Uuni 2 and Uuni 3, so that wasn't a surprise when I wrote an article about it for my blog. As for the tarte flambée I still don't know how to properly cook it :rolleyes:

You've had me hooked on a wood burning pizza oven ever since I've read your post. :)
Got a Gyber unit....the Ooni is "unobtainium" here in kanada lately.
I like the Gyber, but the heat/temp timing between adding wood & the pizza is pretty tight ( esp. after a few drinks). ;-P..
A small fan at the burner end works well, as does homemade burners ;
Pulsejet ..it actually doesn't run hot..just noisy ;-)
Mini-Mongo forge burner ..works VERY well..add a handful of chips as I toss in a pizza
../ end geek stuff ;)

Joined Jan 8, 2010
The uuni (ooni) 1, 2 snd 3 are out of production as far as I can see.
They may be available 2nd hand.
The pro is still available and then there's a bunch of new types.
I got the uuni 3 and use it very often. I use the gas burner as there are no proper wood pellets for sale locally
Some flatbreads....
Made the day before yesterday
And no picture.
Maybe tomorrow :(

Joined Jul 13, 2012
I'm catching up from the other day - chicken gumbo - what's not to like right??? Here's my roux - it's your basic "two beer roux", but it was 10am so I had to go from memory.

Everybody into the pool - (sounds kind of funny these days)

With Jasmin rice - oh so good . . .

Joined Jul 13, 2012
I made Oklahoma Onion Burgers tonight - born out of the great depression they are almost equal parts beef and onion. I made 4oz ground wagyu balls, seasoned with salt and pepper, equal size amount of onion on top then smash and let caramelize. Flip, American cheese on top and stack your buns(Martin's potato) on top to steam. Oh man are these good with a few pickle slices maybe a dollop of ketchup. Very filling too for a 1/4# burger, next time I'll do 3oz of meat.

Joined Oct 10, 2020
Working on starting a personal chef business. I did a large steak salad. It had homemade croutons, steak, tomatoes, bell pepper, a little cheese with oil and vinger. This last week have been doing some different items. On monday I made steak, with a asparagus salad and cheese, and little pasta.

Joined Jul 13, 2012
I had 9oz. of ground wagyu leftover so I made a quickie bolognese type of sauce - minced onion, grated 1/2 carrot, garlic, tomato paste, plumb tomatoes beef stock and seasoned with salt, pepper, pepperoncino, woster, etc. I let that simmer for quite a while to breakdown and come together. Cooked some rigatoni till el dente then finished in the sauce. A perfect meal for a day that turned chill.

Joined Oct 10, 2020
I had asian food tonight. I made fried rice and beef broccoli. The fried rice was really good, but the beef dish was just ok. I did not take as much time as I should have with it. Oh well, I will try again...

Joined Jan 8, 2010
I had a beef wrap.
A one pan-dish :)
First made the wraps in the frying pan (no oil), kept them in tea towel and plastic bag. Wiped some flour out ofvthe pan, heated olive oil and fried the rump steak.
Let the steak rest, deglazed the pan and fried finely sliced - new harvest - onions, garlic, mushrooms and crushed green peppercorns.
Sliced the steak and assembled the wrap.

Joined Jul 13, 2012
Home from a few days in the North Country and wanted something "other and easy". Pasta with muscles filled that bill. I think cleaning the muscles was the most time consuming part. Ok the brunoise took a minute, but not that long - (and our chickens got treats). EVOO & butter, carrot and celery in first then the onion and garlic seasoned of course. Deglaze with white wine and I added a 1/2 tsp of chicken bullion and a teaspoon of corn starch to thicken. When the pasta was half way there I added the muscles, parsley and covered. I removed the muscles to a bowl then added my pasta to the pan sauce along with a couple spoon full's of water.

2lb. muscles + 4.5oz of dry pasta = I can't believe we ate the whole thing - LOL.

Last edited:
Joined Jul 13, 2012
I made what one would think was an easy meal . . . but it was wasn't!!!! I peeled the biggest Russet I could find, I grated and rinsed four times then squeezed and squeezed and squeezed. Then I put that into a tea towel and squeezed some more . . . . the "crunch" was well worth the effort however and it tasted fantastic. Plus you can't beat eggs that were laid the same day now can ya???

Talk about crunch!!! - wow -good cast iron is a thing of beauty.

Last edited:
Joined Jul 13, 2012
I had this one eggplant from the garden + some October tomatoes can you imagine? So I made a sauce from those and after a long day of sausage making the eggplant slices were well drained. It was getting late so I did them old school with egg wash and Panko then fried and oh my were they good.

Joined Oct 10, 2020
Tonight I made chicken and beef in a pan of whiskey, and Butter. Then towards the end I put in a bunch of of onions and cooked it down. I made some homemade hummus with some really hot sauce. Then for after dinner, I put apples, pears into a pan. Put cream cheese and sour cream on top. With graham crackers and baked for 30 mins. That was really good....

Top Bottom