What did you have for dinner?

Joined Aug 8, 2020
I wanted to experiment, I made Italian style home made hamburgers.

Seasoned the meet like I would for pasta, mixed marinara sauce in with the meat, and in place of buns home made garlic bread

Joined Jul 31, 2020
I made sourdough pizza in my little uuni pizza oven. Well, more a combination of torte flambee and pizza in that I used cream cheese as sauce (cream cheese, mixed with garlic, finely chopped onions, bacon, and olive brine).
Some of them with some extra cheese and tomato.
That little pizza oven can make some awesome pizza in no time ;)
I love Uuni pizza ovens! Or Ooni whatever you prefer to call it. I have both Uuni 2 and Uuni 3, so that wasn't a surprise when I wrote an article about it for my blog. As for the tarte flambée I still don't know how to properly cook it :rolleyes:

Joined Jul 13, 2012
Sundays are tomato processing day this time of year. Today I did a sheet pan with whole garlic bulbs roasted for an hour at 350F. Drained off the "tomato essence" and reserved. I ran the whole lot through the food mill and made a sauce with some. Home made Italian sausage, onion, green pepper, parsley and basil. Got the Mandolin out and sliced up zucchini and yellow squash, made a mixture of Ricotta, Mozzarella, Parmesan. black pepper and freshly grated nutmeg. I dried the Zucci and squash slices in the oven to remove water then built my dish using layers of everything and topped with mozzarella and baked at 350F for an hour then cranked up the oven to 450 for 15 minutes. A really great dish that was a hit all around. Luckily there is left over 'cause it's going to taste even better later. ;)

Joined Jul 13, 2012
Our garden is going gangbusters this year with tomatoes and peppers coming on strong. I had some meatballs leftover from the other night and a couple hunks of grilled pork tenderloin (not to mention tomatoes and peppers) I though I'd make stuffed peppers.

I started by blanching a dozen tomatoes then running them through the mill. The guts went back in the blanch water for a bit then I decanted 2 cups and added 2 teaspoons of chicken granulated chicken bullion. I cleaned the pot then added the water back and cooked 1 cup of Jasmine rice then cooled when done. I made a simple tomato sauce with a little garlic, anchovy paste, balsamic reduction and parsley. Sauteed a little onion and the pepper tops, broke down two meatballs and mince some of the pork. All of this went into a pan along with rice and a little of the sauce. I steamed the peppers till almost done, assembled, topped with and into the tomato pot topped with some pecorino.

Set the oven for 350, covered and baked for 1/2 hr. the removed the lid and upped the heat to 400 for another 30min. It's hard to describe just how good these tasted and everything but the meats, cheese and seasonings came off the property.

Last edited:
Joined Nov 5, 2007
Picked a Golden Buddah tomato, first one off that plant. Picture perfect.

20200825_081346.jpg

Made a sandwich with it:

20200826_053558.jpg

A toasted store bought deli roll, some slices of that souvlaki inspired pork roast from the Greece challenge, a hefty slathering of Duke's and topped with some sliced pickled peppers. It was quite tasty. But it was a small sandwich, just enough to keep me going while I work on another challenge entry.

Joined Jul 13, 2012
We had Gyros last night - leftover chicken chunked and seasoned up, a beautiful tomato from the garden I marinated in olive oil, salt an red wine vinegar, an eggplant from the garden sliced, scored then pan fried cooled and marinated in olive oil, balsamic reduction & a dash of smoked paprika. Sliced a pita in half and opened it up and heated it in a dry pan with a lid. I had made tsatziki earlier and used orange juice in place of lemon. No pics, but it was very tasty.

Joined Jul 13, 2012
Had Gyros again last night this time with the bulk Loukaniko sausage I had leftover from stuffing. ˆ picked up a red onion and shaved some to go in them too.

Top Bottom