What did you have for dinner?

Joined May 4, 2005
Smoked a 3# pork loin. Left far cap on and made my own rub with
Oregano, cumin, thyme, paprika, garlic, ancho, smoked onion powder, salt and brown sugar. Smoked using snake method and cherrywood for about 3 hours, with apple cider underneath. Came out amazingly delicious and juicy! Slapped some.onnfloue tortillas; didn't need anything else! I also smoked some mushrooms to snack on. Good!!!
IMG_20200620_122824.jpg IMG_20200620_122841.jpg IMG_20200620_123052.jpg IMG_20200620_144348.jpg IMG_20200620_153015_625.jpg
IMG_20200620_122824.jpg

Joined Nov 5, 2007
Duck breast, scored and salted, then low and slow from a cold start on a cast iron griddle. Ended up going a bit too long overall, was not perfect, but tasty.

20200625_091725.jpg

I had planned on serving it over a bed of sauteed baby bok choy, but it seems the bok choy I bought the other day has disappeared from the fridge. Hmmm, will have to ask my wife about that. I did have a few leftover small red potatoes that had been boiled with garlic and rosemary, so I sliced them and fried in the duck fat. Potatoes fried in duck fat, wondering how that will work out.

mjb.

Joined Jul 13, 2012
I had okra, tomatoes and corn leftover so I made some jasmine rice then made fried chicken. My wife got split chicken for .99/lb. the other day and they were packaged two chickens - for $5.45!!! I figured WTH and cut a half up into pieces. I didn't have buttermilk, so I doused them in Greek yogurt mixed with a little water and hot sauce, salt, pepper, roasted garlic powder and smoked paprika. After a good soak they went into seasoned AP flower then a nap on a rack for 1/2 an hour. Show time - into canola oil @ just over 375 F. then upped the heat to keep them at 350 till done. Served with veg over rice, warm honey and more hot sauce - fantastic. If I had more time I would have made biscuits, but another time maybe. boy was that good - crispy, crunchy, sweet and spicy - they best fried chicken I've had since Savannah many years ago.

Last edited:
Joined May 4, 2005
Welp, the bird came out a bit too dark but the meat itself is very good. I created to much smoke at the beginning so it turned dark before it was done inside. Had to finish in the oven. Oh well. Decided to make tortillas while the chicken was resting. At least those came out perfectly!
IMG_20200627_155328.jpg IMG_20200627_154742.jpg
IMG_20200627_155325.jpg

Joined Jul 13, 2012
A classic "five and dime" favorite - grilled cheese with dill pickle and chips. Hearty peasant bread loaded with five cheeses - 4yr. aged cheddar, 3yr. aged gouda, sheep's milk pecorino, imported swiss and a layer of American (must have for any grilled cheese IMHO). Two layers of cheese, genoa salami, roasted red pepper, Polish ham, and two more layers of cheese. Into a buttered pan with lid on low, turn and finish. Served with red white and blue potato chips and a nice Polish dill. Ok I never got that an a five and dime, but my tastes have evolved since those days - LOL.

Joined Apr 29, 2019
Smoke 'em Saturday! Trying to redeem myself from the "blackened" chicken last week.

Smoked country style ribs with Texas rub, grilled peaches, corn, coleslaw and bloody Marys. Made a little vinegary sauce for the pork. Pretty damn good.
those are ribs? they look so fat and chunky! like beef shortrib

Joined Nov 5, 2007
"What cut of meat is country style pork ribs?
Country-style ribs are cut from the blade end of the loin close to the pork shoulder. They are meatier than other rib cuts. They contain no rib bones, but instead contain parts of the shoulder blade (scapula)."

It seems like it used to be that the most common retail packs of country style ribs were bone in, these days mostly boneless.

pork_ribs.jpg

mjb.

Joined Jul 13, 2012
I made swordfish tacos last night with chips, salsa and guacamole on the side. They were quite tasty and I have another swordfish steak left over.

Joined Jul 13, 2012
We had our grandson's eighth birthday party today at our son's house next door. AND I DIDN'T HAVE TO MAKE ONE DAMNED THING!! All I had to do was bring beer, soy free buns and read a few labels - no biggie. The best part (for me) was my son cooking venison loin rare then letting it rest. It was so perfect it made all that off hand advice I've been giving him all these years pay off - Woo Hoo!! Now - the real test will be if he can repeat that next month for grand daughter's 11th birthday - we shall see.

Joined Nov 5, 2007
For the Italain challenge I was thinking of making some pancetta. Bought a piece of pork belly, but it seemed to have too much meat and not enough fat for the kind of pancetta I wanted. Thought about doing a red cook braise, but decided to try sous vide.

A little salt, pepper and five spice powder, into a sealed bag. 165F for 25 hours. Out of the bag, juices reserved, put on a rack to dry. Scored the skin before trying to crisp it up.

20200715_045421.jpg

Transferred it to a plate, stashed in the fridge for a bit, while I got some rice started. Cut off about a third of the belly, put it in a hot cast iron skillet, skin side down. Let it brown about 6 - 7 minutes, while reducing the bag juices after adding some soy sauce and a splash of rice vinegar.

20200715_064509.jpg

It was a nice dinner.

mjb.

Joined Apr 29, 2019
tomato sauce, gently simmered of peeled plum tomatoes, smushed with my hands

Seared some meatballs nice and high in my carbon steel skillet, transferred to nestle in tomato sauce, scatter in fresh basil leaves, turn heat down to low and put a lid on the whole thing. so as to encourage gentle infusion of flavours and oils

used same skillet filled with beef tallow - tip a little out. tear up some baby king oyster mushrooms and salt slightly. Let it go well beyond colouration - on a persistent, moderate heat over about 15 minutes these mushrooms become essentially deep-fried. theyre super crispy but still absolutely juicy and bursting with flavour from the fat. Added garlic granules, fresh chopped rosemary and thyme and turned up the heat for one last little toss about. Transfer into paper towel-padded bowl and give them a good blotting

Boiled tagliatelle, used tongs to transfer to serving bowls (still dripping), quick grind of pepper and a little squeeze of lemon over noodles. Spoon meatballs and sauce over top. Scattering of mushrooms over that

Joined Jan 8, 2010
I made sourdough pizza in my little uuni pizza oven. Well, more a combination of torte flambee and pizza in that I used cream cheese as sauce (cream cheese, mixed with garlic, finely chopped onions, bacon, and olive brine).
Some of them with some extra cheese and tomato.
That little pizza oven can make some awesome pizza in no time ;)
I had some sauce left. So the next day, I pounded some fresh chili and garlic in my pestle and mortar and slowly added olive oil. Sort of alioli, Catalan style.
Boiled pasta together with my half left over onion (yep, not traditional at all), drained, added the pestle/mortar sauce and the left over pizza sauce.
Only needed some freshly ground pepper and that was one of my better pasta dishes of a long time, and sooo easy!

Top Bottom