What did you have for dinner?

Joined Apr 29, 2019
Poor lighting and all but here it is

actually way more elaborate that it seems. I grated cauliflower in a box-grater, bit of salt+oil and put it on a sheet pan in a low oven for an hour+ during the cooking process. the idea was to get it totally dehydrated, caramelised, and crunchy. 2/3 achieved in the end there but a really nice complex flavour

quickly fried some diced guanciale till they were really juicy with a crispy exterior. scooped it out and set aside, removed about 2/3 of the rendered fat and used the rest to colour some lovely baby king oyster mushrooms. boiled some pasta al-dente in *just* enough water to barely submerge the pasta, by the time the pasta was cooked theres about a cup-full of really starchy liquid in the bottom. Tip the whole thing into the saute pan once the mushrooms are done. add the guanciale back in, along with roasted fine strips of parsnip and diced butternut squash. dump a whole load of a mild creamy cheese in and do the pan-shuffle to allow to emulsify in the water

stiired in some fresh chives at the end, topped with the cauliflower "rice" and some crumpled strips of panchetta i brought up to crispiness ever so gently under the broiler

the pictures reflect pretty embarrassingly on this, it was wonderfully complex and the colouring was like a plate of autumn

Attachments

Joined Jul 13, 2012
I made Ratners cabbage soup and I was going to make knishes, but decided to use up some leftover phyllo instead. I layered half my phyllo in an 8" square pan then added what would have been my knish filling - leek, kasha and goose/venison sausage. I layered the rest of the phyllo on top and baked till done. Very tasty "pie" that went perfectly with the soup.

Joined Nov 5, 2007
Okay, maybe not the healthiest choice, not going to assist me in losing weight, but boy was it tasty!
There was an oddly shaped beef tritip roast in the used meat bin at the market this morning, I couldn't resist. Have a bunch of the rub left over from my recent home made pastrami, thought I'd try it on this. The roast sat for about an hour and a half with the rub on it, then into a 425F oven, temp immediately turned down to 350F. Pulled it out at 124F, a small roast, 1.6 pounds, not much carryover heat, only went to 127F. Yep, quite tasty, won't be going to bed hungry today.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=3257214680961274&set=a.170225259660247&type=3&eid=ARB8EtfwrlhjwFAbEd3JsYRGiJySQZ0K4E23SOgF6teDIOCG9APw-sL0R0RoRN8QMHdHJ9ME1rdXerao
20200126_101838.jpg

Joined Jul 13, 2012
Since I had roasted a well seasoned (inside and out) chicken the other night and saved the pan scrapin's I made Chicken Pot Pie. I separated the Schmaltz from the goo then sauteed my mirepoix in the schmaltz along with potato and mushroom till tender. I added my "goo" then made a slurry of corn starch and stock and started thickening the mix adding more stock as needed and once it was good I placed it in a pie plate coated with butter and bread crumbs then topped with a pie crust.

Joined Jul 13, 2012
I made a nice tomato sauce with some of the last batch of Italian sausage (bulk) and served it with pan fried gnocchi.

Joined Feb 22, 2016
i made stuffed peppers the other day. tonight a beef and rice soup and i will use some of the left over tomato sauce form the stuffed peppers in the soup. carrots-celery-onions and garlic in the soup. plus few mixed veggies.

Joined Jul 13, 2012
I had sauce left over from Sunday so I added to it and eggplant was 0.99/lb this week so I made lasagna. Ooooh it was sooo good - (Ha! anyone remember Mr. Food?) I'm 100% positive it will taste even better tomorrow.

Joined Nov 5, 2007
I had planned on doing a dish for the cheese & veggie challenge, didn't quite get to it. What I had in mind was spinach and ricotta two ways. First was cooked, with oysters florentine, raw with a spinach based salad. Obviously didn't happen.

I did, however, end up making fresh ricotta the other day.

20200205_071715.jpg

Whole milk, heavy cream, lemon juice and some white wine vinegar, heated, curdled, strained and drained.

Planning on manicotti tonight, but used the cheese in a steak and eggs riff yesterday.

20200207_104907.jpg

That's an oddly shaped strip steak, I think, paired with some soft scrambled eggs with ricotta, parsley and black pepper. Pretty comforting after a hectic night at work.

mjb.

Joined Jul 13, 2012
I made chicken pot pie again - it's a winter thing I guess. This time I brushed an egg wash on top and the crust was even better than before.

Joined Nov 5, 2007
As I mentioned, I made a batch of ricotta cheese, and prepped a batch of manicotti using the cheese, some sausage and mushrooms. After popping it in the oven, I dozed off at the computer and did not hear the timer go off.

20200213_122720.jpg

Not the gooey goodness I was planning on having for dinner.

Shucks.

mjb.

Joined Dec 18, 2010
In N Out double-double (grilled onions), well-done fries animal style, iced tea. For dessert, a few random pieces of vegetable tempura.

Joined Mar 8, 2020
Hello there! This post is quite good inspiration for next days! I know what I will be preparing tomorrow! Today I had an amazing chicken filled with a bun, chicken breast and parsley leaves. My aunt prepared that, she is an amazing cooker (even she is not working in a restaurant but only making food for home "uses").

Joined Sep 24, 2009
Crunchy chicken liver in smoked Gouda grits with braised pork rendang, fried shallots-garlic...a lot of roasted tomatoes base-sambal oelek. It's my quarantine meal, made some fruit rujak and boudin balls too for nibbling

Joined Nov 5, 2007
Chorizo jalapeno grits.

20200329_090611.jpg

Browned the chorizo ( fresh Mexican type, not the dry, cured Spanish type ) in a skillet. Put it in a strainer to let some of the grease drain. Fine dice on a big fat jalapeno from the market, as well as the white parts of some green onions. Sweated the veggies in the remaining fat in the skillet. When softened, cranked up the heat, added the water for the grits and deglazed. Dumped water and veg into the grits pot, brought to boil, cooked grits.

About 5 minutes before grits were done, stirred in about a third of the chorizo. Meanwhile, got an egg poaching. Spread the grits on a plate, topped with another third of the sausage. Topped that with a nice handful of grated pepperjack, then the rest of the chorizo, then the egg, then garnished with some of the green onion tops.

Recipe needs tweaking. I don't think the green onions really did anything to improve the dish, either boiled in with the grits or the garnish. I was afraid the chorizo was going to be real heavy handed on the salt, it wasn't too bad, should have put a bit more salt in the grits water. And fresh cilantro on top would have been a better choice than the scallions.

But I did eat it all.

Latest posts

Top Bottom