What did you have for dinner?

Joined Nov 5, 2007
20191126_051130.jpg

20191126_221117.jpg

20191127_031104.jpg

20191127_040513.jpg

20191127_040502.jpg

I'm working Wednesday - Sunday this week, did my Thanksgivng dinner tuesday night. 5 pound 2 rib beef roast, smothered with a garlic and horseradish rub. Used the 5/500 method to cook it. I got too anxious on the yorkshire pudding, didn't wait long enough for the oil to get hot hot hot. Wasn't bad, but I've made better. The beef and the gravy, thugh, were spot on!

mjb.

Joined Jul 13, 2012
Could do this in time for the challenge, but I made a slow stock from the smoked turkey we had last weekend. It started snowing yesterday so it was a perfect day for French onion soup. The crouton is leftover garlic bread and the cheese is a mix of smoked gruyere and manchego - quite a nice blend. perfect with a glass of Port.

Joined Jul 13, 2012
Venison liver, onions, bacon, mushrooms and potato. I trimmed the liver, soaked it in milk with garlic and hot sauce then did an egg wash and into seasoned bread crumbs. Fried in bacon drippings till just pink in the center. Not tough, very tasty and it's good for you. It doesn't get more "free range, or organic that this".

Joined Aug 21, 2004
gray snowy day, perfect day to stay inside and partake of my favorite indoor hobby...cooking...although I also enjoy cooking outside as well... hell I just enjoy cooking period

portfoliochickenbutternutblackeyedpeastew.jpg

chicken, butternut squash, and black-eyed pea stew seasoned with ras el hanout

served with bulgur and topped with a slaw made with green cabbage, pomegranate, toasted ras el hanout seasoned pepitas, and cilantro tossed in a vinaigrette of xeres vinegar, maple syrup, and roasted garlic olive oil

Last edited:
Joined Jun 11, 2013
Pan seared Pork tenderloin with a blueberry demi, roasted fingerlings and baby carrots. A bottle of Alpine Beer co. Duet to wash it all down.
I did something similar. I did pan-seared thick pork chops with a blackberry jalapeno preserve. I was at a holiday fair this past weekend and one of the vendors was selling her spicy preserves. I like the blackberry jalapeno preserve she had. On a cracker, it tasted like it had more of a kick than hot or spicy. A one-pint jar was $7 . . . so why not.

Joined Nov 15, 2012
Some friends from Welfleet, MA can up to hunt last week. On Friday we met up and John gave me a bag of Wellfleet oysters.
I have been guilty of trespassing on private property in order to get Welfleet oysters fresh out of the water. Yes, as good as any you can find.

Joined May 28, 2015
I have been guilty of trespassing on private property in order to get Welfleet oysters fresh out of the water. Yes, as good as any you can find.
Talking of oysters: saffron cured salmon with Malden oysters and home-made rye bread:

The oysters are huge - easily 4 to 5 inches long and bastards to shuck!

fullsizeoutput_5742.jpeg

Joined Jul 13, 2012
Made one of my favorite things today - Braised Rabbit with Pearl Onions and Morel Mushrooms. It's an involved meal, but well worth it. Nice meaty rabbit and dried morels along with pearls, shallot, garlic, white wine, and the liquid from reviving the mushrooms. All make for a delicious slow cook that yields tender everything.

Joined Jan 8, 2010
I didn't make notes, but it's not that long ago...
I'm quite sure I used fish sauce, some chili's, garlic (obviously) and I think I used a bit of smoked paprika.
The cheese was a mixture of processed cheddar (processed cheese is all we can get) and some extra old maaslander (imported by myself on my last trip to Holland).
The big pie had egg in it, the small ones didn't (as my egg mixture was finished)

Joined Nov 15, 2012
Yeh, fish sauce and garlic, who needs much more here, and I'd use a smoked gouda since I can easily get it.

Joined Jul 13, 2012
After a week of party foods I made a really nice SALAD last night and it was just fine by us.

Joined Jul 13, 2012
Happy New Year everyone!!! I made a proper New Years dinner - Michael Ruhlman's "Hoppin John", collard and mustard greens with ham and my sausage, "smutty" rice (sausage, no livers) and my first ever scratch made biscuits. (It's painfully obvious I need fresh baking powder.)

Joined Nov 5, 2007
I too plan on having black eye peas on New Year's Day. Roasted some pork neckbones earlier to get some color on them, they went into the crockpot with some sweated onion, salt, pepper, and a dash of chili powder.

20191231_232837.jpg

I was planning on serving the beans alongside some blackened shrimp. When I unwrapped the shrimp a few minutes ago, I remembered how long ago I bought them. Straight to the freezer for a while so they won't stink up the garbage can too much. Drat.

Guess I'll just have a bowl of beans before work.

mjb.

Joined Nov 5, 2007
So I got some fresh shrimp and some collard greens. Made some hock stock yesterday by simmering some smoked hamhocks in water for about 2 hours. Used that to stew the greens. So I got some South in my mouth, with a plate of blackened shrimp, the black eye peas and the collards. I will not be going to bed hungry.

20200104_120602.jpg

mjb.

Joined Jan 8, 2010
IMG_20200101_200651.jpg
Satay.
Ate them with cilantro garlic yoghurt sauce, freshly baked roll and sweetcorn, tomato, lime leaf relish.
Sorry pic is a bit dark.

Joined Sep 21, 2001
Seafood chowder with local crab, scallops and clams.
I must have liked it. I noticed afterwards I'd burned my mouth.

Top Bottom