What did you have for dinner?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by mrmexico25, Mar 7, 2012.

1. someday

someday

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I don't know what tossing pasta with the sauce or not has to do with my "imagination"....

I agree that there is no one way to do things (most things anyways) but usually there are bad/better/good/best ways available. IMO if your not tossing the pasta and sauce together they aren't going to be as good as they could be. Not that they will be bad, just not as good.

I gotta say - I hope that you are able to learn and try new things as you go through the rest of your life.

Anyways, we're getting off track. I'd ask you to PM me if you want to discuss further.

2. harpua

harpua

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Sometimes I ladle sauce on top of my pasta. Sometimes I mix it together. It depends on my mood.

There may be “better” ways of doing things but if it’s something they are cooking for their own enjoyment, you really have no right to criticize. Will I criticize my mom for not putting wine in her pot roast? No. Could it be better? Yes. Would I change it? No way!

butzy likes this.
  3. Seoul Food

Seoul Food

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I had really bad turkey chili.

harpua likes this.
  4. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    So one night I make a small pot of turkey soup with wild rice and mushrooms. A sample is pretty good. Goes in the fridge overnight.

Next day at work I get a text from my wife claiming that the soup is the best I have ever made. So spend the rest of the evening looking forward to a bowl of it. Of course, by the time I get home there isn't any of it left. Shucks.

mjb.

morning glory likes this.
  5. someday

someday

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I don't know if what I said was really critical. This is a public forum for people to share thoughts/opinions about food and food related topics. Posting a photo of your dinner on the forum invites commentary.

I don't think what I said was bad...I didn't belittle, name call, bully, etc. I even said multiple times that I'm sure the food tasted good. But to me it's like drizzling vinaigrette on a salad instead of tossing the greens in the dressing--there is one way that it clearly better than the other.

6. butzy

butzy

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    My eyes have been bigger than my stomach. Happens often.
    Unfortunately, my eyes are also bigger than my freezer...
    Bought a couple of kg beef the other day. Had a pizza (homemade and frozen) while the stew (sort of goulashy, using part of the meat) cooked.
    Tasted good, portioned and froze most.
    Then realised that the small ham I cooked a couple days earlier, needed finishing, found split peas and turned everything into pea soup. Ate one bowl, froze the rest.
    Had some wine left in the bottle the other day and used that to marinate the remainder of the beef.....
    I think there is a pattern occuring.....
    I'll cook the beef/wine tonight and it will be too much again.....

7. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Pork geschnetzeltes (also geschnitzeltes)

Chef Uwe gives clear directions to this simple German restaurant classic.

Served mine with roasted carrots and potatoes.

8. morning glory

morning glory

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I know that feeling!

9. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Krpice, a spiced cabbage, noodles and bacon dish. Simple and tasty. Works well with country style noodles in the package.

10. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Similar to the dish I was planning for the apple challenge. I may still do it, but with home made egg noodles for the egg challenge.

mjb.

11. Amantha Funches

Amantha Funches

Exp:
    No plans yet still figuring it out...

12. harpua

harpua

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    F293AA1B-E0EB-4322-8FB3-F378481EE241.jpeg
    Italian sausage with baked tomato sauce on top of polenta. Roasted broccoli.

morning glory and dectra like this.
  13. mike9

mike9

Exp:
    Former Chef
    My friend from Wellfleet Cape Cod brought me a half bushel of freshly dug wild clams the other day. Mostly top neck size, but I steamed two dozen tonight, heated up some leftover garlic bread and finished off the dilly beans I made. They are delicious, I got the idea to cut the tough parts off with scissors and eat the rest. I saved those bits for chowder tomorrow as well as all the liquid left from steaming - white wine, garlic, carrot, onion, celery and parsley.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 15, 2018 at 4:41 AM
    morning glory and harpua like this.
  14. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Needed to toast some beets for a dish I'm doing for the egg challenge, so threw some chicken thighs in as well. Simple olive oil, salt and pepper seasoning. I like roasted chicken.

20181215_011550.jpg

mjb.

15. Sara Hillman

Sara Hillman

Exp:
    Self taught
    I salt baked a rainbow trout and had it with saffron risotto (with nigella seeds) and green beans. Made a panatone rum raison bread and butter pudding after with lots of wine to go with it all!

Salt baking is my new obsession. Does anyone know if you can reuse the salt after?