What did you have for dinner?

Joined Sep 21, 2010
At the risk of hijacking the thread, you need more than packaged spices/sauces. Chinese veg are different than Western veg. Chinese celery & leeks aren't like western versions. Then the whole range of choy, bitter melon, herbs like shiso, mushrooms, lotus root, fresh bamboo shoot.Our local Indian stores have different squashes/bitter melons/fruits that aren't like those in your average Western store. Then there's the 'wok' difference, with the high heat.

I think it would be a challenge indeed to do 'authentic' regional dishes, though one can do dishes that are as true as possible, under the circumstances.  Not just Asian, either -- many other cuisines would be equally challenging. Especially if you're never tasted the authentic version, which was the case for me in the Swedish challenge.

Back to 'What did you have for dinner!!"

Joined Feb 26, 2006

Had dinner at a fast food place tonight.  First time visiting a Pei Wei ( pee wee? ) chain location, was pleasantly surprised. They were hyping a new "Spicy Polynesian Poke Bowl" so I ordered one.  I liked it. I liked it a lot more than I though I would.  Meant to do a poke for the recent fish challenge, didn't work out, but I enjoyed eating what I had tonight.

mjb.
I love the mongolian beef bowl (flank steak option). I eat it a few times a month and also tend to take 200 fortune cookies on my way out. 

Make sure you create an account and give them your phone number (so they can apply the order to your account). Every 1,000 points = a free meal (any size). 

Last edited:
Joined May 9, 2017
Dry rubs are nice. Those look perfect to me.

I prefer the dry rub and/or the BBQ sauce basted on the protein as it cooks. I add mine at the end so it doesn't burn.

In my opinion, most BBQ ribs and chicken are tossed and served with too much sauce, or the sauce is cold. Its disappointing.

Joined Aug 15, 2003

Dry rubs are nice. Those look perfect to me.

I prefer the dry rub and/or the BBQ sauce basted on the protein as it cooks. I add mine at the end so it doesn't burn.

In my opinion, most BBQ ribs and chicken are tossed and served with too much sauce, or the sauce is cold. Its disappointing.
Naw, you have to add the dry rub at the beginning. This is key to a good bark. If you don't have a good bark you can't have out of this world barbecue. You can have OK barbecue, but not out of this world. 

Joined Dec 1, 2015
@Mike9    Nice.  Love carbonara for an emergency weeknight go-to

We had leftovers assembled into various combinations.

Kids had fried rice (leftover shrimp, green beans)

Greek green beans with tomatoes for me

Cold asparagus soup with a bit of crab meat for H

And cocktails

Last edited:
Joined May 9, 2017
I just started getting into rubs in the last couple years. I'm still learning. Like I said, I do prefer the flavor of dry rub ribs vs the gooey mess served in most restaurants. Yes I know the rub goes on first before cooking, but sometimes I will add more to build up that crust, or bark as you call it.

Generally, I roast ribs in a slow oven and add the BBQ last so that it bakes in. Sometimes I will drag out the weber smoker, but we make a lot of smoked meats at work. I get tired of that and want something simple, yet tender and delicious.

Joined Jun 27, 2012
Getting to the part of the vaca when it is too hot to eat.
So watermelon (ice cold from ice chest) and Milky Way candy bars stashed in freezer earlier in the day.
A gallon of water from fridge.

mimi

Top Bottom