What did you have for dinner?

Joined Jul 13, 2012
@MillionsKnives  - great looking spring rolls.

Grass fed Shell steaks are $2.99/lb. this week so I stocked up.  I went through the bin to get steaks that were 1" thick and from the outer band with the nice fat cap and little mixed muscle.  

Cooked souse vid in a bag with smashed garlic, black pepper, evoo and thyme @ 129F for an hour.  Then into a screaming hot skillet till I got a chocolate colored glaze on one side then flipped for just a sear on the other.  Bag, resting juices, butter and a little port made for a nice topping sauce while resting.  Russet potato nuked, halved, scored, salt and pepper and into a small skillet with butter and dripping and weight it down with a pot till it's crisp then flip to finish.  Salad was Romaine and a double Gloucester with chive, evoo and lime juice.  I've been craving a steak dinner lately and this did no disappoint !!!  Perfect medium rare through and through with an excellent crust.  Add a crispy potato and what's not to like????

Joined Jan 3, 2013
Mike9 you are making me drool with the coq au vin! Mashed potatoes sound brilliant, I haven't been in the kitchen much due to we are in the middle of moving. cannot wait to get back in there! I have a question, what technique do you use to matchstick carrots? My way almost ended up in the emergency room!!

Joined Jan 28, 2017

Dinner tonight is just me, so it's a tuna melt, doritos and vitamin water.  Cooking for myself, so I'm happy with pretty much anything in the fridge.  Yesterday?  Cooking for friends, that's different.

Nice mixed greens salad with a lemon caper vinaigrette, Mediterranean stew (definitely with a Spanish slant) and the 'K', named after my oldest son's nickname (yes, just 'K').  His favorite sandwich consisting of turkey, ham, muenster, cole slaw, tomato and Dijon mayo on a toasted brioche roll.  Spell check is annoying.  Not worried about caps..  :)

Joined Jul 13, 2012
Today's compound dinner country was Peru.  Pretty interesting so I opted for Peruvian chicken with green sauce and blue and pink potatoes.  Oh and Pisco Sours as a beverage.

No rotisserie so I spatchcocked the chicken and applied the seasoning rub and let it rest for several hours.  (I made the rub and green sauce the day before).  I quartered the potatoes the long way and kept a little of the spice mix and added additional olive oil, salt, pepper and tossed the potatoes in that.  I transferred everything to my biggest sheet pan so I could cook the chicken and potatoes at the same time.

After the chicken rested I boned everything, but the legs, thighs and wings and served over the potatoes with green sauce on the side.

Ready to pack up and go next door - Pisco, lime juice/simple syrup mix and egg whites.  That went into a blender with lots of ice - 3 parts Pisco to one part each lime juice, simple syrup and egg whites.  Sure gets frothy, but really delicious.  I'll be making more of these for sure.

Joined Jul 13, 2012
Thanks - it was awesome.  Next Sunday is Italy, but I encouraged everyone to NOT make the usual like lasagna, pizza, etc.  Personally I want to make squid ink gnocchi with a slow cooked squid stew as a sauce.

Anyway I was lazy tonight and made grilled ham and cheese on organic unsalted sprouted wheat bread.  I used American, a parmesan/cheddar mix with some stilton and smoked gruyere.  Served with cornichons and chips.  A glass of cabernet sauvignon to wash it down didn't hurt either.  So ooy and gooy, but - it never occurred to me to take a picture.  

Joined Aug 26, 2016
I don't have a photo. :(

I made coleslaw and chicken. But in the slaw I added a can of kidney beans, rinsed, I wanted protein and I like 'em. And in the sauce, I did 1 C of mayo, 2.5 T fresh meyer lemon juice, 1 T sugar, and 2 T fish collagen [for the protein] It was really really really good and I'm going to make it and eat it the rest of my days. I also heated up pre cooked chicken and had that as the hot part of the meal. Reishi coffee after. 

Joined Jul 13, 2012
It's a soup kind of day today and I had veg and leftover steak so I made Faux Pho.  Not so so faux the broth went 44hrs.  Shaved carrot, celery, sliced bok choy, red pepper, rice stick and nori.  I let the veg steep in the broth seasoned with fish sauce, sambal and hondashi a while then ladled over the noodles and nori.  Oh my it was fortifying.  

Last edited:
Joined Jun 21, 2007
thinking tonight we'll do soup as well.
love a cozy soup: full of potatoes, chicken tenders, Italian spiced sausage, corn, string beans, green and yellow zucchini slices, seasonings, rich deep flavored home made vegetable stock. home made garlic bread plus simple 3 ingredient salad with home made ranch.
enjoy your hump day [emoji]129299[/emoji]

Joined Sep 5, 2008
Stuck in a hotel (business trip), nibbling on fried chicken strips and chips... which when I ordered I assumed meant fries... but no, they're chips, just warm. Meh. Can't wait to get back home. 

Latest posts

Top Bottom