What did you have for dinner?

Joined Sep 3, 2015
Really been feeling like enchiladas but due to my lovely other halfs dietary requirements most flour products are out for a while... Welcome eggplant and lamb rolls with spicy smokey bbq sauce!

Had some leftover lamb shanks in the fridge, fried the meat up with onions, garlic, button mushrooms, parsley, lemon juice and a bit of "lamb jelly". Bbq sauce on the stovetop from canned tomatoes, spices, a bit of liquid smoke and chipotle adobo. Topped with grated cheese and served with some roasted broccoli and almond oil.

Last edited:
Joined Jan 31, 2012
Bitter melon, healthy enough, but I dont many people who can eat it.
Do you marinate it in something, or otherwise prep it to
get a little of the....eeee....ahhhh.....:eek::eek: !!!!! out of it first??

Joined Apr 24, 2011
We invited our new landlord, who live upsrairs from us, down to dinner.

I made Hawaiian food.

Kalua pig and Cabbage, steamed white rice

Lomi Lomi Salmon

Limu Ahi Poke

They loved it!

YAY!

Oh and a couple of 6 packs of beer to round out the evening, 

we all had a great time.

I was so nervous that they wouldn't care for this, 

but they both said that they like to try different foods.

Joined Mar 19, 2015
Bitter melon recipe was from Madhur Jaffrey's World of the East Vegetarian Cooking, soaked in salted water for 2 hrs, rinsed drained and patted dry before stir frying. Still bitter but I like the taste.

Joined Apr 3, 2008
We invited our new landlord, who live upsrairs from us, down to dinner.
I made Hawaiian food.

Kalua pig and Cabbage, steamed white rice

Lomi Lomi Salmon

Limu Ahi Poke

They loved it!
YAY!
Oh and a couple of 6 packs of beer to round out the evening, 
we all had a great time.
I was so nervous that they wouldn't care for this, 
but they both said that they like to try different foods.
I want!!

Joined Apr 3, 2008
Bitter melon recipe was from Madhur Jaffrey's World of the East Vegetarian Cooking, soaked in salted water for 2 hrs, rinsed drained and patted dry before stir frying. Still bitter but I like the taste.
My husband loves bitter melon and cooks it often.

Joined Jul 13, 2012
I stepped outside the zone today and made cauliflower pizza crust.  Yup a near 0 carb crust that turned out quite well and tasted great.  Sadly the only picture I got was out of the oven after the pre-bake.  It sucks being hungry when it's done - /img/vbsmilies/smilies/lol.gif  

Joined Aug 6, 2015
@Mike9  what kind of texture and thickness did that cauliflower crust end up being? I'm curious...my first time seeing a cauliflower pizza crust.

Joined Jul 13, 2012
I pushsed it out @3/8" thick and the texture on the prebake was really good.  It felt dry enough, but being the first time I may have not squeezed enough water out, and my sauce came out of the freezer and may not have separated enough in time, but overall it was a worthwhile endeavor.  

Joined Feb 17, 2010
Joined Apr 25, 2011
Last edited:
Joined Feb 17, 2010
Pickle just added to the roll with the bacon & onion. Don't think the mustard plays a huge roll in the overall taste of the final dish. I wouldn't waste anything special on it.

Verdict: It's a keeper.

Joined Apr 25, 2011
Pickle just added to the roll with the bacon & onion. Don't think the mustard plays a huge roll in the overall taste of the final dish. I wouldn't waste anything special on it.
Verdict: It's a keeper.

I concur. The mustard I used was pretty strong and came through a lot. Not too much to be overpowering, but still might want to tame it next time. I thought of being unconventional and adding bread crumbs to the mix? Good idea or blasphemy?

Also, I assume the spätzle was cooked in beef broth, but just wanted to confirm. Yes?

Last edited:
Top Bottom