What did you have for dinner?

Joined Mar 10, 2016
Shepards pie!  Filled with bay, rosemary, lamb with crushed peeled tomatoes browned in bacon fat, shallots, garlic, mirpoix, chopped-and-roasted b. sprouts and topped with spiced, milled potatoes and goat cheese.

Joined May 27, 2013

Roast turkey, smoked gouda, avocado, lettuce, tomato, and BACON sandwitches with potato salad made with leftover baked potato and sweet potatoes which also included BACON.  It was all gone before I remembered to photograph it, so alas, I decided to post it here rather than in the challenge.  /img/vbsmilies/smilies/drinkbeer.gif/img/vbsmilies/smilies/drinkbeer.gif/img/vbsmilies/smilies/drinkbeer.gif/img/vbsmilies/smilies/drinkbeer.gif/img/vbsmilies/smilies/drinkbeer.gif  
I'm guessing you had five pints to go with the sammy? Is that why you forgot to snap a pic?

Joined Apr 21, 2016
Looks like I'm a little late to the party! However, last night for dinner was pretty simple. Tomato, garlic and cheese omelet. Trying to stick to a high protein diet since I lifted that day :D

Joined Apr 11, 2013
Last Nights Dinner

Eggplant Tower with a Duo of Sauces (Leftover Arugula Pesto and Traditional Bolognese)

Tonights Dinner

Carrot Rice and Arugula Salad w/ Shrimp:

The rice aside from carrots has salt, curry and Zatar. The shrimp were seasoned with salt and lemon pepper. The Arugula was seasoned with just a small hint of salt and the left over oil from the saute pan where the shrimp had cooked. 

Last edited:
Joined Apr 21, 2016
Leftover Moroccan couscous with seven vegetables. That's not too exciting since we do tagines or couscous all the time, but I tried something I read in Jacques Pépin and added a sort of North African version of gremolata to the couscous and I was pretty pleased on how it turned out. Not something we've ever had in Morocco, but added some complexity and color to otherwise slightly boring couscous.

Last edited:
Joined Jul 13, 2012
Well I had Greek Easter a week early because someone couldn't make it next weekend.  This is the only picture I had time to shoot.  When the eating began it was bedlam.  

Octopus appetizer with compound butter and multigrain baguette.  

The mains were roast leg of lamb, Greek string beens, spanakopita (light), roast parsnips and desert was Greek yogurt with fresh berries and spiced honey.  Oh and we had some delicious Retsina that cut the lamb really nicely.  It was a swell day and we toasted to Prince as I listened to a Prince play list while making this meal.

Joined Apr 3, 2008

Well I had Greek Easter a week early because someone couldn't make it next weekend.  This is the only picture I had time to shoot.  When the eating began it was bedlam.  

Octopus appetizer with compound butter and multigrain baguette.  

The mains were roast leg of lamb, Greek string beens, spanakopita (light), roast parsnips and desert was Greek yogurt with fresh berries and spiced honey.  Oh and we had some delicious Retsina that cut the lamb really nicely.  It was a swell day and we toasted to Prince as I listened to a Prince play list while making this meal.
I toast with you!  We're not doing easter at our house this year, taking a break from the hooplah but I'm sure we'll find someplace to eat lamb.  

I'm almost positive you and I have discussed this before but octopus would never make it on a greek easter table, not that it's a criticism, just thought you'd be interested to know.  The reason for this is that greeks fast from certain foods (no meat from animals with a blood line and no animal byproducts) for about 50 days before Easter.  Octopus is considered a lenten food and is therefore eaten during lent.  Therefore it isn't readily welcomed to the easter feast although I personally have an easier time saying no to lamb and yes to octopus /img/vbsmilies/smilies/talker.gif

Joined Jul 13, 2012
Got my lab work back the other day - Ouch!!  In the spirit of change I made a dish with cauliflower and tomatoes with onion, peppers, garlic, anchovy, olives and cod.  No salt added I got that from ingredients - the anchovy paste and olives.  It was delicious - I can do this.

For lunch I made egg salad and had it on thin slices of multi-grain ciabatta with smoked scallops - very nice.

Last edited:
Joined Sep 8, 2015
Ouch indeed Mike, I feel your pain.  The getting old, changing the diet thing is pretty sucky.  Those dishes look great!

Along the special diet theme I need ideas for soft food (no I'm not getting that old).  My son had his wisdom teeth out on Friday and he still has trouble chewing.  

I've made:

Potato soup

Baked mac and cheese

Spagetti last night, and that was hard for him to eat

I'm poaching some cod tonight

But I'm running out of ideas,  Any suggestions?  He doesn't like eggs.

Joined Jul 13, 2012
I would avoid grits as they get in every pocket and could have an adverse affect if they got in one of the sockets.  When does he go back for his follow up?  

Try this - it's very simple and my grandma used to make it for me as a kid.

Cook up 1/2 lb. of bacon, drain, tear into pieces and reserve.  

Cook 1 lb. of elbow macaroni and when cooked drain and rinse.

In that same pot add a 28 oz. can of tomatoes [I use whole tomatoes (no salt now) and break them up)] and the macaroni and reserved bacon and heat through.  

Season with garlic salt to taste and enjoy.  

Warning - it can be addictive.  /img/vbsmilies/smilies/lol.gif

Last edited:

cerise

Banned
Joined Jul 5, 2013
SS
Ouch indeed Mike, I feel your pain.  The getting old, changing the diet thing is pretty sucky.  Those dishes look great!

Along the special diet theme I need ideas for soft food (no I'm not getting that old).  My son had his wisdom teeth out on Friday and he still has trouble chewing.  

I've made:
Potato soup
Baked mac and cheese
Spagetti last night, and that was hard for him to eat
I'm poaching some cod tonight
But I'm running out of ideas,  Any suggestions?  He doesn't like eggs.

Soup, soup, soup
Tomato bisque
Guacamole
Tuna or salmon - cakes/patties
Apple sauce, pudding, jell-o
Oatmeal and... Sliced peaches, blueberries
Mashed potatoes, peas and gravy
Potato pancakes
Meatloaf?
Smoothies
Sliced bananas
Chopped liver

Last edited:
Joined Mar 3, 2014
Mexican/Spanish Pesto w/Pasta 

Last nights meal. I have this almost every week.

Preparation sort of started with last years harvest. 

Pesto base - basil, garlic (from the garden) with a little olive oil to blend into a pesto-ish paste, then frozen in heaping tablespoon portions.

Jalapeños (from the garden) sliced and frozen

Prepping the meal.

Put frozen pesto in bowl with jalapeño slices and a little olive oil. Let it all thaw.

Mix in as much chipotle powder as you like. I like a lot.

Grate in some asiago cheese. Sometimes I’ll add chopped walnuts.

For pasta lately I’ve been using organic whole wheat rotini.

Cook up the pasta and mix it in with the pesto stuff.

I add in more chipotle powder and asiago as I mix in the pasta. 

Latest posts

Top Bottom