What did you have for dinner?

Joined Apr 24, 2011
mrM ... everything is better with wine braddah !! 

but I will try this one ... let us know how it goes over in your place too ..

Joined Jan 7, 2012
mrM ... everything is better with wine braddah !! 

but I will try this one ... let us know how it goes over in your place too ..

Will do!  Although, I wont run it this weekend because were having a huge crawfish boil for St. Patricks day and I'll do a few other seafood specials to go along with it.  The Turmeric Chicken will probably be served in a couple of weeks :)

Joined Apr 24, 2011
@ Luv, what kind of frisky dressing do you make?

@ tlgc, I love your avatar dude, and many a time of thought about pork and blueberries, so please do elaborate !! I'd love to make that one !!

Joined Jun 21, 2007
@ Luv, what kind of frisky dressing do you make?
I got the recipe while eating in Lima Peru at Pardo's on the ocean where I ate steak and fries plus a wonderful salad.

When I tried to ask the waiter what the dressing was I was eating [they'd brought 3 different ones] for dipping steak/fries/salad in.

Not understanding me, he brought a chef out who spoke a little English.  Between the two of us, we kind of understood each other.

The ingredients were mostly what I wanted to know [because of the flavor of my favorite one they brought out] was incredible and I'd never tasted anything like it.  Ingredients are very odd sounding but this is what the frisky dressing contains and I just make it slowly until I get that taste just right. Note, the chef called it something that of course I couldn't understand, but it sounded like he said something like "frisky". Hence the name.

Mayonnaise, mustard, very hot Peruvian chilies, basil, salt pepper, oil, garlic.  Like I say it takes a effort to get it right.

Last edited:
Joined Aug 21, 2004
Thai Dirty Rice

At work we did a class on game birds so I wound up taking home the gizzards, hearts, and livers from pheasant, quail, squab, poussin, guinea hens, etc

I minced and then sauteed them. Threw in collard greens and sauteed a bit more. Then deglazed with a mix of Thai red curry paste, chunky peanut butter. and coconut milk. Covered the pan and turned the heat off. Let it sit for a few minutes, then stirred in cooked brown rice, black beans, mint, and cilantro.

Definitely a cupboard and refrigerator extravaganza!

Joined Jan 7, 2012
Thai Dirty Rice

At work we did a class on game birds so I wound up taking home the gizzards, hearts, and livers from pheasant, quail, squab, poussin, guinea hens, etc

I minced and then sauteed them. Threw in collard greens and sauteed a bit more. Then deglazed with a mix of Thai red curry paste, chunky peanut butter. and coconut milk. Covered the pan and turned the heat off. Let it sit for a few minutes, then stirred in cooked brown rice, black beans, mint, and cilantro.

Definitely a cupboard and refrigerator extravaganza!
Cupboard and refrigerator extravaganza is right!  Collards, curry paste, peanut butter (wtf?!), coconut milk, rice, beans, mint and cilantro!  That's alot of stuff! sounds extremely interesting, though I don't have an idea of what it would taste like lol.

Joined Apr 24, 2011
we were kinda busy playin' with the new IPad, tryin' to figure the dang thing out...

so I just made a quick chicken on the gas grill and some steamed veg and

then it was candy time...  just good ole' snickers, goobers, ya' know...

we had a real BAD sweet tooth goin' on today !

Joined Apr 24, 2011
Dinner tonight for my husband was grilled Ono (or what I have seen here as Wahoo), a dipping sauce of Wasabi and Shoyu (soy sauce), a side of steamed white rice, ginger Carrots and a salad of Tomato, Cucumber, Sweet Red Peppers and Radishes.  Me, I’m highly allergic, I had a Tuna Salad sandwich with a side of low fat “Pop” chips.  We washed everything down with a HUGE glass of Iced Tea. 

Joined Apr 3, 2010
Wahoo is a fantastic fish caught off Bermuda and the Big Island where you come from. I believe it to be related to Tuna.

. Me for dinner Pancakes , sausage with 2 sunnyside eggs. Every once in a while I like this.  easy dinner

Joined Apr 24, 2011
I’m with you chefed, I adore breakfast for supper, my husband not so much. 

My Mother use to make us kids silver dollar pancakes and pork link and we thought that was pretty special... 

We could have all of syrup we wanted! 

The Ono came out “dry and tasteless” so my husband told me. 

I didn’t cook it too far, it a little give to it.  Maybe I should prepare it en papillote next time? 

That’s how I prepare (I’m allergic) his trout fillets on a bed

of julienne veg and a splash of dry Vermouth and herbs/spices too. 

As you said, having lived in Hawaii, (I may have mentioned this before) I never had to cook my own “local style” dishes, something like Ono was too expensive in the markets, so my husband always ordered it out.  

Alot of the fish caught (commercially)in Hawaii goes to Japan!  So if you had a friend (which we did)

who owned a boat and took you out fishing, WAHOO!!!  (or Ahi or....)

Joined Apr 3, 2010
Save the outside leaves of lettuce and cook the fish in that. Years ago thats what we did to retain the moisture in the fish. Lettuce is 90% water and helps keep moist. Paper bags were done also, but today you do not know what the bags are made off?

Joined Jan 7, 2012
Tonight was a special night out.  It was my fiancees birthday so I took her to the Lonesome Dove Western Bistro in Downtown Fort Worth.  It's Tim Love's restaurant and it was awesome! 

Joined Feb 17, 2010
Tostada's.....Char broiled flap meat, re fried Peruvian beans, greens, shredded cheddar, fire roasted salsa & avocado

Joined Aug 21, 2004
grilled country style pork ribs with a tart cherry ginger glaze

zucchini brushed with fig balsamic vinegar and olive oil and grilled

baked beauregard sweet potato with a chipotle honey butter

Joined Apr 24, 2011
I'm always trying to dream up something different and tasty,

seeing as I need to prepare three meals a day everyday for a particular (I won't say picky) eater.

Tonight's main attraction was Broccoli Slaw, I found it on sale yesterday. 

Stir fry came to mind first, a little chicken, I had some dried Shitakes in the cupboard,

the usual stir fry sauce of garlic, ginger, soy, mirin, sesame oil, chicken broth and corn starch. 

Some Chow Mein noodles and LET'S EAT!!

edit: I just looked at the finished product again in the photo and I guess this is really just Chicken Broccoli ala K~girl ...

Last edited:

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
A selection of various Chinese dumplings, stirfried green beans with pork, rice and a Haagen Daz ice cream bar dessert.

Joined Apr 24, 2011
It's what's for dinner tonight!!

Kalua (premade from a container) style Pork, Cabbage, Sweet Onions (not Maui Onions though), steamed White Rice and Aloha shoyu (Soy Sauce) ALL OVER!!!

Latest posts

Top Bottom