What did you have for dinner?

Joined Oct 23, 2008
Very nice Lagom! Love doing whole hog! We didn't have as large a group but my buddy brought his cabinet smoker and did two "beer can" chickens. I did about 12 lbs of pork shoulder. The rest of the family and friends brought deviled eggs, corn on the cob, baked beans, asparagus, lots of bread, watermelon, etc. Had a good time swimming to escape the Florida heat after 7.5 hrs of stoking the firebox! Here's what we ended up with from the smokers.

Joined Nov 5, 2007
That bark looks very tasty!

Did a pretty simple dinner tonight, chicken thigh paillards in a basic sauce. Karen liked it, and she surprised me with a comment.  Basically I put the chicken in a hot pan and cooked it most of the way. Removed the chicken, reduced the heat and sweated about 2 - 3 tablespoons of minced shallots. When the shallots were nice and soft I upped the heat, deglazed with a good dose of vermouth, some lemon juice and the juices that had collected under the chicken. Off the heat, add a couple tablespoons of butter.

Plated the chicken, spooned the sauce over.  As we are eating Karen says "What are those little brown bits? They are really tasty!"

Karen - who doesn't like onions, doesn't like garlic, doesn't like leeks, doesn't like shallots.

She is definitely coming around.

mjb.

Joined Sep 5, 2012
Looks nice chris. Im missing the next family trip to Spain in august( wife and kids going to pick up a puppy in Malaga, via Saltzburg, Nice,and Valencia.) So Ill have to wait till october to get some good paella. Unless I stop at your place on my way Munich in september. :)

Joined Oct 2, 2010
Thanks Lagom, it's a deal, but you have to let me go to Malaga instead, it's one of my all-time favorite places in Spain, also known here and there as Little Barcelona!

Last edited:
Joined Sep 5, 2012
Plenty of room in the Audi for you Chris. Its a testamony to your courage that you would road trip with my wife and kids along with 30 kilos of puppy on the return voyage. Gods speed brave soul. Myself Ill remain safely and sanely at work.

Joined Oct 2, 2010
Malaga by car? It's +2000 km from where I live... hang on, I suddenly remember I have something important to handle in augustus. Thanks anyway my friend!

Joined Sep 5, 2012
Ya by car! With my crazy swede with and 3 daughters. Run, Forest, Run!!

Seriousily though, the're going down to get a Pyrnees Mastif pup and we dont want to fly her here. Air travel for dogs in the summer can be really stressful, anytime really.

On a food note I did just load an apple walnut pie into the oven, time to make some creme anglaise and grille the sausages for dinner, the potato salad is done.

Joined Apr 24, 2011

... Did a pretty simple dinner tonight, chicken thigh paillards in a basic sauce. Karen liked it, and she surprised me with a comment....

Plated the chicken, spooned the sauce over.  As we are eating Karen says "What are those little brown bits? They are really tasty!"

Karen - who doesn't like onions, doesn't like garlic, doesn't like leeks, doesn't like shallots.

She is definitely coming around.

mjb.
Isn't that the way mjb?

It's all in the preparation, don't you think?

That and if they don't see what's going into a dish, well all the better  /img/vbsmilies/smilies/wink.gif

Joined Mar 1, 2011
Well the kiddos spent the holiday weekend at their grandparents in Northern Maine so it was just the old lady, myself, and a couple friends hanging out at my place on the deck with some simple food off the grill and some beer for the guys and a dry chard for the ladies.

Round one was a brined teriyaki glazed pork loin, a couple dogs (Martin rosol, THE BEST, made local in new britain CT) some skirt steak and steak tips, corn on the cob, asparagus, some local stuffed clams, and some crusty grilled garlic bread. Not pictured was some potato and egg salad and tuna mac salad.

Round two, couple more dogs, some fresh polish kielbasa (also Martin rosol) this time some apply bourbon brined pork tenderloin, bbq bone in country ribs, some maple bourbon baked beans, and some streak quesadillas with the leftover steak. And some veggie kabobs.

Nothing terribly special, but some simple tasty food perfect for the casual holiday. Made it simple, everything on the grill. Had a fantastic weekend with the wife.

Joined Jun 27, 2006
"grilled burgers that were a mix of 70% ground ribeye and 30% bacon"
Nice job @Lagom

Arthur's off shore antics here must've really whipped up something from across the pond.  I thought I caught a whiff of something delectable drifting in from the east around 6am!  That's what, noon your time? Yeah....that's it, had to be....I'm certain it wasn't the paper mill.

The spit roasted pig was a tough act to beat and then you added in those burgers! I haven't seen a rib burger in years but the added bacon is the deal breaker. Those had to be very tasty!

@ChefTorrie, That's a nice, tasty looking spread too!

Here, weather was very breezy but nice. The DD had a friend from her swim team over for lunch after their practice so it was just a measly smoked chicken re-heat with a fresh broccoli, bacon, pea and carrot pasta salad with an Italian seasoned yogurt dressing to accompany the chicken. Would have rather had one of your burgers or those grilled quesadillas sound great too.

Especially since dinner tonight was a repeat of the Cajun chicken sands I posted a couple weeks ago. Difference is this time, I did mine as a wrap and the DW and DD had theirs on Ciabatta. Still pales to the thought of the food ya'll served. May just have to menu those here next week! Steak in any form.........I know the DD won't complain a bit.

Last edited:
Joined Nov 5, 2007
Did something tonight I've not done in quite some time, a Jamaican jerk marinade, or more of a wet rub. Some chicken thigh meat soaked for a couple hours, then onto the grill.

Quite tasty. I have some country style ribs that will go on the grill tomorrow, after marinating all night.

The best part of the prep was toasting the spices - I used coriander seeds, cloves, allspice berries, half a nutmeg, a cinnamon stick, black peppercorns - always a pleasant aroma.  Got them toasted, then into the grinder.

Put about 7 - 8 cloves of garlic, an onion, a good handful of green onion, 3 habaneros, thyme, cilantro into the food processor with a splash of soy sauce and some oil. Gave it a good whirl. When it looked about right I opened the top and took a whiff - very nice, fresh aroma, but I was a bit perplexed. I expected more fragrance from the spices, some notes of cinnamon, allspice and such.  You know, all those things I toasted and left  over  there  in  the  grinder.

Oops.

mjb.

ps: The above should NOT have taken 20 minutes to post.  I type a bit, a while later the characters show up.  I type another word or two, some time later they show up. That stupid, useless video has reappeared - DRAT!!!!

Joined Apr 24, 2011
View media item 101859   View media item 101858   View media item 101857
The All American                                Whenever I make Meatloaf             Rather than mashed, I roasted

Meatloaf Supper                                 I wrap it in BACON, the perfect       some Baby dutch yellow potatoes

served up with some                          tempature gauge, when it's

succotash                                           crispy, it's done

Top Bottom