What did you have for dinner?

Joined Aug 25, 2009
Chris, you let the flavours speak for themselves in that dish. There something to be said about cured meats, they are a world on their own.

Ordo, that pie crust looks like it's cooked to perfection , and lemon ....:smiles:

Joined Oct 2, 2010
@ordo  Since I saw the biography of Mary Berry on the BBC, spread over 2 days (!), I have nothing but respect for her. Incredible what she achieved having all those health problems in her youth. What a personality! I need to go looking for her tarte au citron recipe; your result makes me drool. Made an apple pie quite a while ago, signed Mary Berry; de-li-ci-oso!

@petalsandcoco  Thanks Petals, you're right, cured meats are now more popular than ever. Yesterday I was watching a program on the French television about hams. The Spanish bellota was praised into heaven. Maybe worth mentioning is that there's a new ham (also airdried) about to come to the market; Périgord ham. They are looking to get an AOC (appellation d'origine controlée) within a few years.

Last edited:
Joined Jan 5, 2007
I love MB. She and Delia are the twin stars of home cooks! I make an MB carrot cake that she did on a TV programme in the early 80s... No horrid frosting, just a beautifully moist cake. :D

Joined Jan 24, 2013
I finally had a day off today and decided to spoil myself, and my household with bacalao guisao (salted cod fish stew). The house smells divine!

DSCN4313.jpg

Last edited:
Joined May 27, 2013

I finally had a day off today and decided to spoil myself, and my household with bacalao guisao (salted cod fish stew). The house smells divine!

DSCN4313.jpg

Nice. I used to have that dish a lot as a kid. We never had it with olives. I think I'd like that. You have plates with a divider? How many cabinets do you have?

Last edited:
Joined Jan 24, 2013
I've even seen black olives in it too.

Bacalao-til-mange_large.jpg

Luckily, I do have a lot of cabinet space, and recently purchased this charming handmade hutch for a steal that has crazy storage space as well. I guess you could say I have this thing for plates and platters. But since it's just me and my husband, and now my son, I usually have only 2-3 settings. If we have people over, they have to eat in mixed dishes. :p

The tart looks perfect.

Joined Aug 25, 2009
Terrific looking food everyone.

@ Akeikas : Welcome to Cheftalk and thank you so much for posting your lovely salmon dish. We all look forward to more of your food !

Joined May 27, 2013
Luckily, I do have a lot of cabinet space, and recently purchased this charming handmade hutch for a steal that has crazy storage space as well. I guess you could say I have this thing for plates and platters. But since it's just me and my husband, and now my son, I usually have only 2-3 settings. If we have people over, they have to eat in mixed dishes. :p
We have one set of 4 rectangle and round light blue ones for 8, I think. I wish we had space for more variety. I live in NYC so space is limited, but in the end what I want are flat bottomed plates. The light blue ones we have are scalloped so plating is a challenge. All the sauces etc accumulate in the center so separating flavors or ingredients is difficult. Great for soup or pasta. We do have a few asian style bowls for noodles and curries. But like you, only for two. When guests come its a mix and match unless we use the light blue rounds. That's not even counting the 5 piece sets (with gold trim) X2 (me and partner) in storage. We should have a china thread, btw.

That Espagnole sauce looks . . .  c r e a m y   good. 

Joined Jan 24, 2013
I've been married for almost 10 years and I still don't have china. I adore it, especially the ones with the gold trim, sucker for those, but I can't justify spending the money on it. I regret not adding china to my wedding registry.

What I need/want are wood bowls. Acacia wood bowls. I'm always on the lookout for those. I'd also like the kind of bowls that have the turned up corners, like for stir-fry dishes.

Joined Jan 24, 2013
I've thought of asking for china as a 10 year anni gift, but after much thought and deliberation I asked for a set of all-clad pots and pans instead. I'll get more use out of them.

Joined Nov 5, 2007
My dinner wasn't put in a fine china bowl.  And it was just a can of store bought pork and beans.

But I didn't just throw them in the pot.  First I rendered down a nice chunk of garlic bacon, small dice.  Added some diced red onion, let it soften.  Chopped a green onion from the garden, threw it in, then added the canned beans.  And some of my Q sauce, maybe 1/4 cup.  When the beans got hot, I ate them.  Burp.

mjb.

Top Bottom