What did you have for dinner?

Joined Jul 30, 2007
yes petals...what beautiful food as always, and what a beautiful day you had from the looks of it. what else is in the strawberry salad?..mandarin oranges or orange supremes yes, but is that pasta? what was the dressing?...and yes chef i agree, that like shoes, a girl can never have too many dishes!

joey

yes, now i can see that the white is bean sprouts...nice...

Last edited:
Joined Aug 25, 2009
I tossed the following items in a big bowl : strawberries, bean sprouts, chopped mango, white onion, zest and juice of one orange, olive oil, chopped basil, splash of balsamic, s & p.

As far as dishes go, its hard not to pick something you like up. Friends and family know that I like these things so that is a bonus. Of my kitchen collections, I enjoy tea cups and saucers.

.....shoes ? lol , yes.

Petals.

Joined Aug 21, 2004
Last night I made a risotto using a corn cob stock. I finished the risotto with grilled corn and chantrelles. Accompanied it with grilled marinated shrimp, grilled kale, and heirloom tomatoes.

Joined Jul 30, 2007
where did you get heirloom tomatoes so early?...i am chomping at the bit waiting for them to come out here...jeez, tomato sandwiches with fresh basil...hmmm...grilled kale? splain that one to me if you don't mind.....

joey

Joined Aug 21, 2004
A local guy came into work and gave us some. For the kale i just brushed it with a seasoned olive oil and put it on a medium hot spot on the grill until it slightly wilted and the edges got lightly browned and crispy.

margcata

Banned
Joined Sep 18, 2011
Petals,

Your Cobalt Blue glass servingware is gorgeous ... and needless to say, your delicious strawberries and chicken look wonderful ...

Have a lovely week,

Margaux.

Joined Jul 30, 2007
i love simple oven roasted kale with evoo and s&p, any kind of kale really....will try it grilled....thanks

joey

Joined Aug 25, 2009
Done that way Joey, it has a nice flavor. I made a smoked meat Frittata with a blueberry and pistachio salad with a side of Bruschetta.  Best with Fleur du Cap white wine

Last edited:
Joined Jun 28, 2010
Very fine cooking everyone!

Petal, you can make a simple meat Frittata look so dramatic!

A fewe recent meals:

dcarch

Sashimi

Ribs on Kabocha Squash

Skate on Risotto

Joined Aug 25, 2009
AAAaaahhhhh DC......

The mind is a beautiful thing......such creativity, love the colors and the dishes themselves. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/thumb.gif

I bet you have a terrific garden, don't you ? (I'm sure you do).

Petals.

Joined Oct 16, 2008
Did a whole packer brisket Texas Style over Mesquite for 5hours and in the box for another 4. We went to a cook out and there were beef ribs, Colorado Lamb Chops, a side of hot smoke Salmon, Pulled pork and a few beer can chickens.  It was meat-a-palooza as our host liked to call it.  Great dinner with friends and an amazing home brewed selection of beers.

Joined Apr 24, 2011
i have a question dcarch?

what is that pink leaf-like on the plate?

you used it before...

and i've never had the nerve to try skate, what does it taste like? texture, etc.?

Joined Jul 5, 2012
Nothing exciting for me tonight I'm afraid! Was visiting my grandmother all day so we just stopped at the chip shop on the way home... /img/vbsmilies/smilies/frown.gif nothing beats homemade chips though!

Joined Jan 5, 2007
I agree!

We only eat a fish supper (in my case, a white pudding supper) about three or four times a year - but I adore it!

Joined Jun 28, 2010
Thanks Petals. You are very kind to say that.
i have a question dcarch?

what is that pink leaf-like on the plate?

you used it before...

and i've never had the nerve to try skate, what does it taste like? texture, etc.?
That is napa cabbage sliced very thin at an angle, and pickled in red dressing.

Skate is delicious like crab meat, if done correctly, otherwise it's get a funny taste.

dcarch

Joined Apr 24, 2011
Thanks dcarch, I'll try skate the next time I see it.

Our supper tonight ...

From scratch, homemade Pizza ... Mister K~girl likes his with

anchovies, oregano and red pepper flakes under the cheese,

oh and a bottle of Root Beer please ... Mangiamo!

Joined Aug 25, 2009
Kgirl,

Your pizza has all the toppings I like on mine ( when I read root beer, do you remember the frosted glasses they served it in at A & W ? ). Looks delish ! Made a pizza here the other day, but they do not eat chilli and anchovies.....nor sriracha.....

Joined Apr 24, 2011
Oh Petals, that is pretty!  Well, I mean the plate and the food, of course.

Funny thing, I keep nice, thick mugs in the freezer for Mister K~girl,

but he prefers it straight out of the bottle.

When I was a kid, that was a special treat if we had been good

all week long, Dad would take us kids over to A&W. 

Sister would have a float and I just wanted the Root Beer, creamy and delicious! 

That was the only soda pop that I liked.

Joined Jun 27, 2012
Simplish salad. Fresh romaine lettuce, spinach, cabbage, white onion, cucumber, roma tomatoes, feta cheese,and red wine vinaigrette. Topped with grilled chicken marinated in a very nice balsamic vinaigrette, fresh parsley, cilantro, basil, pepper and a squeeze of lime.

Top Bottom