What did you have for dinner?

Joined Jul 13, 2012
I cooked some fresh bluefish fillet in black lentil curry with a side of kicked up quinoa. 

Joined Nov 5, 2007
That's one of the things about buying a whole chicken - usually it won't be long before some of it appears in a pot pie.  I'd like to eat more duck, but Karen isn't too keen on it.

mjb.

Joined Apr 8, 2013
I haven't made a pot pie in a looong time. I still have some chicken leftover that I butchered the other day. Thanks for reminding me, mike!

Tonight's dinner is greek butter bean soup. I found the recipe in a greek cookbook that dates back to 1908. Of course I didn't change the recipe at all and it tasted wonderful. I haven't used a lot of butter beans in cooking, but I will start now! Such a creamy, rich flavour!

Joined Apr 3, 2008

I haven't made a pot pie in a looong time. I still have some chicken leftover that I butchered the other day. Thanks for reminding me, mike!

Tonight's dinner is greek butter bean soup. I found the recipe in a greek cookbook that dates back to 1908. Of course I didn't change the recipe at all and it tasted wonderful. I haven't used a lot of butter beans in cooking, but I will start now! Such a creamy, rich flavour!
This doesn't look very greek, is it pureed? Care to share the recipe?

Joined Jan 7, 2012

I don't necessarily know if it looks Greek or not, but it does look good...

My question is, does the recipe include the little oil droplets in the middle?  Or is that your modern little twist?  Also, does it make a huge difference in flavor/texture?

Last edited:
Joined Apr 24, 2011

I was trying to think up something different to do with chicken (the ago old question) …

Whole wheat shells, topped with sautéed boneless-skinless chicken thighs,

fresh green beans, sweet red bell peppers, sweet white onions,

san Marzano tomatoes (canned), garlic, basil, flat leaf parsley and S&P…

just threw it all in the pan to steam the veg… it was quite good actually.

Joined Oct 2, 2010
1. Cod coated with spices, fennel puree and braised carrots

Cod coated with a mixture of dry roasted fennel seeds, Sichuan pepper, black mustard seeds and coriander seeds. Then powdered with salt and pimentón (smoked paprika powder). Pan-fried.

Fennel braised in butter and a little water. Then mixed with cream and little lemon juice, s&p.

Carrots, onion and a little ginger, braised in butter and water.

2. Cold rice pudding with warm black berries

Rice pudding is my favorite winter dessert. I love the contrast between cold and warm. You could do the opposite too; warm rice and cold fruit.

It's rice cooked in milk with vanilla, bit of butter and sugar. Cooled, then added whipped cream to loosen.

Black berries warmed with a little sugar and a squeeze of lemon juice.

Last edited:
Joined Apr 8, 2013

I don't necessarily know if it looks Greek or not, but it does look good...

My question is, does the recipe include the little oil droplets in the middle?  Or is that your modern little twist?  Also, does it make a huge difference in flavor/texture?
The oil was just a garnish because the parsley is mixed in. It doesn't really affect the texture because it is absorbed in the bread I was dipping into it.

This doesn't look very greek, is it pureed? Care to share the recipe?
Nope, not pureed, just slow cooked for a long time and then the rest of the butter beans added in later. The beans are in there, the soup is just covering them. I'll post the recipe in a bit.

Joined Jul 13, 2012
I chunked Bluefish marinated it in soy, oyster sauce, tamarind, garlic, ginger and sesame oil.  Sliced onion, red pepper, jalapeno pepper, garlic, ginger, salt white pepper and wasabi infused seaweed.  I heated up the trusty wok and went to work - chowed the veg, then added the fish and seaweed and after that was half way I added some left over quinoa then garnished with more seaweed.  It was really tasty - eat your heart out local Chinese take out. 

Last edited:
Joined Oct 2, 2010
Pumpkin Gnocchi with chicken in cider sauce and tiramisu for dessert

I absolute love these rather small Hokkaido pumpkins. They contain very little moist which makes them incredibly hard and difficult to cut. The flesh is so tasty and has that wonderful orange color.
I used 50/50 pumpkin/potato for the gnocchi. You could boil them in water, but the end result will be much better when you roast them in the oven. Unpeeled whole potatoes and pumpkin wedges went in the oven at 180°C for an hour. I rubbed them all in olive oil and added s&p and a lot of dried thyme. I used 3 large potatoes and half of a Hokkaido to make the gnocchi. The rest of the pumpkin and roasted onion will go in a pumpkin soup.
Best to proceed when all is still quite hot. First peel the roasted potatoes and put through a foodmill with the pumpkin. Then add around 30% of that volume in plain flour. Work it all together, but as short as possible. Overworking causes the gnocchi to go rubbery! Roll some dough in a sausage and cut in chunks. Done! I boil them asap in salted water until they come to the surface of the water and cool them shortly in icewater. This is the point where you can store or freeze some gnocchi if you like. Before serving, they were fried in hot oil.
Served with a roasted chicken and a sauce made with a reduction of shallot and a lot of cider from Normandy (France), chicken stock added and cream. Also on the plate is a wedge of delicious roasted Hokkaido pumpkin.

Joined May 27, 2013
@ Chris - excellent work. Cod, rice pudding, chicken, gnocchi. Looks great and probably tastes better. Do you use those photos for another blog by chance?

@ Mike - I'd have that bluefish in a heartbeat. I haven't had chinese take out in almost 15 years.

Such great work here. 

Joined Jun 11, 2013
A few days ago I finally made a cassoulet to be proud of.  Thank goodness it turned out well since I made so much of it.  My previous attempts have not turned out well and I believe it's because it was too lean and there wasn't enough fat or flavor.  

Last night's dinner was more basic . . . salad made with grilled romaine hearts, grilled marinated steaks, and baked potatoes.  I also grilled extra steaks to use in the next day or so.  The bread was mediocre, but I didn't make it.  I took the easy way out and bought it.  Thppppfffftttt!

Joined Oct 2, 2010
@ Chris - excellent work. Cod, rice pudding, chicken, gnocchi. Looks great and probably tastes better. Do you use those photos for another blog by chance?

Thanks Jake. My pictures are only used here. I used to post on another food forum, so there may be just a few older pictures that appeared on both forums.
I thought about starting a blog, but there are already plenty very good ones. I'm always on the hunt for food blogs that combine outstanding photography. The weird thing is that imo the very best food bloggers seem to be very creative people, a lot of them very good photographers. I wouldn't be surprised to hear that many of them are also into architecture, art and fashion.

Last edited:
Joined Jul 13, 2012
I have spaghetti squash in the oven and a simple tomato sauce and sausages on the stove . . . more to follow.

Joined Oct 2, 2010
Soup made from oven-roasted Hokkaido pumpkin, served with boudin blanc

This soup is made from my left-over oven roasted Hokkaido pumpkin, onion and potato from my previous post. A little treat added; a few rounds of panfried boudin blanc.

Last edited:
Top Bottom