What did you have for dinner?

Joined Sep 5, 2008

you could always hit that sauce with a splash of Cointreau
Oooh that's a good idea. Or Calvados!! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif  

I also have thought of making that dish ever since I saw the video. I hope I can find the time to make it soon. Haven't had much time to cook lately... /img/vbsmilies/smilies/frown.gif

Joined Aug 18, 2007

Spent the first part of my american vacation in Fort Payne Alabama and my experimental product here was catfish.

Onion, jallapeno, garlic, eggplant, courgette, asparagus pieces were sautéed and were the base.Basmati rice stirred in, then  white wine reduced then chicken stock till just about cooked.

in another pan catfish steaks and shrimp are fried with evoo, crushed cumin seeds,coriander seeds, 1/4 pkt crab cake mix and finished with key lime juice

Everything is combined gently with black olives, chopped cilantro, finely diced tomatoes and more lime juice.

The pot is left on a low peep till I'm happy with the flavour and the rice is perfect

I threw in the rest of the asparagus at serving to save on washing up

Last edited:
Joined Oct 2, 2010

Chris, that Apple Terrine is a dish of pure beauty ! When I saw it in the video that Ordo posted, I must admit that I played it at least 4 times as it was that enjoyable to watch and here you go and make it ! I don't know what to say but that dish just sings .

I agree with FF on the Crème anglaise. ( you could always hit that sauce with a splash of Cointreau ) .....but why mess with perfection ?

Stunning pics of the dessert and that style of cooking just inspires.
Thanks Petals. I hope many more will make that terrine, it's simply fabulous. We have a culinary magazine over here that came up with exactly the same recipe. Furthermore, it's dead simple to make! Next time I'm gonna bake a puff pastry sheet too and cut in the shape of the terrine, mainly to add another texture. I do agree you don't need to mess with it, this is such a great recipe.

Thanks for the advice on the sauce. I think FF has indeed a point on serving this with a crème anglaise. And I would use calvados too, maybe in the preparation itself. And how about a petit Calva to serve it with?

Last edited:
Joined Apr 24, 2011

I had just finished poaching some chicken, which then gives me a terrific broth that I save.

I made up some chicken salad for my handsome husband's lunch tomorrow, since he will be left to his own devise, as I take my Mom to the doctor.

Hmmm, loads of fresh veg in the house, what's that in back of the freezer?  A turkey kielbasa, some chicken breasts and half a bag of okra you say?

POOF!

My version of a quick Gumbo for today's late lunch/early supper.

Joined Sep 5, 2008

Talking of puff, I made a few the other day, this one was just using the tomatoes I had from the garden, onions, garlic and herbs with a drizzle of olive oil & seasoned.
Petals, I was going to say, I like the second one the best. Then I slapped my forehead. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/rolleyes.gif  Looks really tasty. 

Last edited:
Joined Apr 11, 2013
So today was use whats left over in the fridge during your day off day....

Basically used what ever i had more of because i was just to damn lazy to go buy produce XD

Pan friend potato rounds with a charred tomato chutney on top , some sweet corn , a bacon and yuca crumble , tomatoe butter and a bit of balsamic vinegar just to glaze the tomatoes a bit. 

Joined Jul 13, 2012
I made a ragout of rabbit with mushroom, leek, carrot, garlic, vegetable stock, thyme, red wine and apple.  We used some jalapeno/queso cornbread I made the other day to sop up the sauce. 

Joined Sep 5, 2008

I made a ragout of rabbit with mushroom, leek, carrot, garlic, vegetable stock, thyme, red wine and apple.  We used some jalapeno/queso cornbread I made the other day to sop up the sauce. 
That sounds very very good!! I haven't had good rabbit since I was a kid. 

Joined Nov 5, 2007

That sounds very very good!! I haven't had good rabbit since I was a kid. 
Me too.  My stepmother used to do rabbit in a paprika cream sauce about once a month.  I really liked it, maybe I'll get inspired to try my hand at it some day.

mjb.

Joined Jul 13, 2012
I really like rabbit so when I retire next year I want to raise some for meat - then I can barter the extra for other foods.  I live in a bountiful area and well I'll eat damned near anything that walks, crawls, swims or flies. 

Last edited:
Joined Sep 5, 2008

Me too.  My stepmother used to do rabbit in a paprika cream sauce about once a month.  I really liked it, maybe I'll get inspired to try my hand at it some day.
The problem is that unless you hunt or know a hunter, it's going to be very challenging to find rabbit that tastes like rabbit. The only time I had rabbit in the U.S. it was in a very nice restaurant. The rabbit was very well prepared, but the meat itself was tasteless. I could have closed my eyes and thought I was eating chicken. Same with the venison you eat in most fancy restaurants - doesn't taste anything like a wild dear, it's closer to grass fed beef

Latest posts

Top Bottom