What did you have for dinner?

Joined Jul 13, 2012
I didn't have my phone when it was sit down time, but I made mushroom risotto, blackened string beans with red pepper and peanuts and pan seared lamb loin chops - oh yeah!!!  Great color, great flavor all from great ingredients. 

Last edited:
Joined Aug 19, 2012

I'm blessed to have a 3 year old that actually knows how to eat. Last night, we had sautéed orange roughy with walnut pesto, sundried tomato basmati and fresh tomato, pepper and celery chop. My 3 year old helped me plant and grow tomatoes and the parsley and basil in the pesto. We have a nice batch of fresh made tomato sauce in the fridge waiting for some homemade pizza on Sunday.

Joined Apr 3, 2010
2  big bowls of my own  New Encland Home made Clam Chowder. I make mine with a lot of veges and clams, Some Hawian rolls and sweet butter. Could not eat anythingh else if I tried

Joined Apr 8, 2013

I'm blessed to have a 3 year old that actually knows how to eat. Last night, we had sautéed orange roughy with walnut pesto, sundried tomato basmati and fresh tomato, pepper and celery chop. My 3 year old helped me plant and grow tomatoes and the parsley and basil in the pesto. We have a nice batch of fresh made tomato sauce in the fridge waiting for some homemade pizza on Sunday.
This looks delicious!

Tonight's dinner was a classic tomato bisque. I had never made a tomato soup from scratch before, so I found an old recipe online and gave it a shot. It really blew me away on how few ingredients can create something that tasty. It was paired with, of course, a gruyere grilled cheese sandwich. :)

Joined Oct 2, 2010
Gratin of Belgian endive rolled in ham, bechamel with gorgonzola, topped with grated parmezan

We call these endives "witlof" and I know the australians use that name too. The endives are braised first for 45 minutes in butter and just a tiny bit of water, then wrapped in cooked ham. Sauce is béchamel with gorgonzola and the remaining braising liquid. Dish is finished with grated parmesan. Normally we don't use gorgonzola nor parmesan, so that's just me coloring outside the lines of what is one of my country's classics. Also known as "chicons au gratin".

@Lucas; I love tomato soup and certainly older recipes. Anything worthwhile to share about the recipe?

Last edited:
Joined Mar 19, 2009
I will try that recipe Chris. Please confirm the 45 minutes brasing time. Looks like a long time.

Joined Jul 13, 2012
That looks like my friend Ria's "Belgian Special"  She used to make it with Nokkelost and it was delicious.

Joined Oct 2, 2010

Please confirm the 45 minutes brasing time. Looks like a long time.
It looks like a long time but the longer you cook them, the sweeter they get. Mind you, the bitter touch will stay in it, which is very wanted!

Here's how; I use them whole, but if they are very big, cut them in two lenghtwise. Let them get a little color in butter on not too high fire. Add a bottom of water, lid on, let simmer on low fire for 45 minutes. Turn them only once during the cooking time. Watch for the water level so it doesn't cook dry! Of course, you can reduce the cooking time if you want but the endives have to be soft, not al dente.

For the sauce, you normally would make a Mornay sauce like béchamel + gruyère + Emmentaler. Often served with potato purée.

Here's a variation I made a while ago, using smoked salmon instead of cooked ham. This was a Mornay sauce. Look at the endives in the first picture; braised for an hour!

Last edited:
Joined Oct 1, 2013
Tonight at my house...

thyme and fennel braised pork belly served with a pumpkin gnocchi tossed in an apple cream sauce....delicious!!!

Joined Feb 16, 2013
Man some great looking dishes in this thread.

I made two soups today, escarole and bean and then cream of broccoli and cheddar. Both came out pretty fantastic. I need to get a new phone, pictures are worthless on this dinosaur.

Joined Nov 5, 2007
Had fish and chips tonight.  Sort of.

Deep fried some snapper, cut a couple of egg roll wrappers into strips and fired those for the chips.  Served with a soy and wasabi dipping sauce.

And a handful of black cherry tomatoes from the garden.  That's a treat that won't be available much longer.

mjb.

Joined Feb 17, 2010
I bought a beautiful rib eye tonight, some dime sized crimini mushrooms, cauliflower and a sweet potato. To tired and not hungry enough to cook.

I slummed it tonight.

Liverwurst on toasted buttermilk bread, American cheese, iceburg lettuce, ruffels chips, mayo & mustard and a hand full of grapes on the side.

Joined Oct 2, 2010
This sundays dinner was;

Blanquette de veau (veal blanquette)

A French classic that should be in any foodies "playlist" imo. It's a bit of a long story to explain from a to z, but basically it's veal simmered in veal stock for 40-60 minutes. Then a sauce is made using a roux and the cooking liquid. Braised baby onions and mushrooms are added and a liaison of egg-yolk and cream.

Apple terrine

This went in the oven yesterday, at the same time as the choucroute I made and posted here; http://www.cheftalk.com/t/77731/challenge-october-2013/60#post_444704

It's 45 minutes uncovered and another 45 minutes covered in the oven, then cooled and chilled overnight. Still some work to do on it, but incredible taste of cinnamon (yep, it's cassia), dried orange peel (naz), cardamom, star anise! I'm looking for a sauce to serve with this; any ideas?

Joined Aug 25, 2009
Chris, that Apple Terrine is a dish of pure beauty ! When I saw it in the video that Ordo posted, I must admit that I played it at least 4 times as it was that enjoyable to watch and here you go and make it ! I don't know what to say but that dish just sings .

I agree with FF on the Crème anglaise. ( you could always hit that sauce with a splash of Cointreau ) .....but why mess with perfection ?

Stunning pics of the dessert and that style of cooking just inspires.

Top Bottom