What did you have for dinner?

Joined Oct 23, 2008

NICE! looks like you guys got the skin just right. How to you roast it?
Thanks Nicko, yea the skin was a treat. This was the first hog we've done using propane. My buddy constructed a burner that is about 6 feet long that we placed in the bottom of the pit. In the past we have used lump coal. He is planning to build a rotisserie so that's why we went with the burner this time around.

Joined Feb 17, 2010
I got about a pound of local chanterelles from a customer on Friday, made Stroganoff of sorts with some medallions of pork loin, glazed carrots & brown rice pilaf.

Joined Oct 23, 2008
TF that looks good! I think I'd have to eat it with rice/pasta or maybe just some good Italian bread for sopping up that sauce! Then again I should probably do less carbs.

CB sounds like a tasty and hearty dish.

Joined Nov 5, 2007
Yes, the shrimp were served with some thin spaghetti, fresh basil garnish and a handful of black cherry tomatoes right out of the garden.  I should have taken a picture of that!

I love stroganoff style dishes - beef, chicken, pork - all tasty.

mjb.

Joined Oct 2, 2010
When I was a kid, on Sundays, we often had chicken slowly cooked on the stove top in a cast-iron pot. It made the house smell like... Sunday. This is a "revisit", made yesterday but using a few alien ingredients compared to long ago like garlic, in salt preserved lemon and black olives. But what a taste!

Nothing more than coloring the chicken first on all sides, add whole bulbs of garlic which will give only a slight but distinct flavor. Above all, after the cooking you will be able to squeeze out the now completely soft and deliciously sweet garlic cloves. I also added one of these small preserved Moroccan lemons. Please, do try these lemons, it's such a good match with chicken.

And last but not least, I added these "breakfast olives" the last half hour of cooking time. Very small black Turkish olives with the stones still in; the perfect salty component in this dish. Lid on with a small opening left and let it cook on low fire.

I also made a cream sauce with fresh small but tasty mushrooms which were pan-fried first. It all really reminded me of an old-fashion Sunday! Simplicity always works!

Last edited:
Joined Sep 27, 2013
well, last night I got home very late and  I  was lazy to cook , so I made myself a chicken burger with a few green salads. Easy and simple dinner!

Last edited:
Joined Dec 6, 2012
ahhh today I treated myself to a sourdough pizza, with a spicey tomatosauce, thin sliced onion rings, roquefort and parmigiano cheese....and some wine, of course! (as a drink LOL) nice to have a day off.

Joined Nov 15, 2012

When I was a kid, on Sundays, we often had chicken slowly cooked on the stove top in a cast-iron pot. It made the house smell like... Sunday. This is a "revisit", made yesterday but using a few alien ingredients compared to long ago like garlic, in salt preserved lemon and black olives. But what a taste!

Nothing more than coloring the chicken first on all sides, add whole bulbs of garlic which will give only a slight but distinct flavor. Above all, after the cooking you will be able to squeeze out the now completely soft and deliciously sweet garlic cloves. I also added one of these small preserved Moroccan lemons. Please, do try these lemons, it's such a good match with chicken.

And last but not least, I added these "breakfast olives" the last half hour of cooking time. Very small black Turkish olives with the stones still in; the perfect salty component in this dish.

I also made a cream sauce with fresh small but tasty mushrooms which were pan-fried first. It all really reminded me of an old-fashion Sunday! Simplicity always works!

Salted/oil-cured olives are wonderful to use just about anywhere you would add salt.  Try them on roasted vegie pizza sometime.

Joined Jul 13, 2012
I made Pork Schnitzel with Mushroom Schpetzel.  I mixed sour cream with dijon mustard, garlic chili paste, salt and pepper and slathered that on the pounded pork cutlets.  Then I dredged in bread crumbs and let rest on a rack.  Fried them in a skillet then back onto the rack to rest.  While they were resting I sauteed sliced criminis and added them to the schpetzel.  Really nice autumn meal -

Joined Sep 5, 2008

Looks and sounds delicious. Replace the black olives with green ones and you've got a class Tajine: slow cooked chicken with green olives and preserved lemons. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif

Joined Sep 5, 2008

Pics are before and after. No liquid needed. Just enough onions and a dash of oil. No browning.
Thank you ordo. I would have never thought of cooking meat like that. Now I have to try it!!  /img/vbsmilies/smilies/licklips.gif  

Joined Mar 19, 2009

Thank you ordo. I would have never thought of cooking meat like that. Now I have to try it!!  /img/vbsmilies/smilies/licklips.gif  
You're welcome sir. What's great about this technique is it's almost fool proof.

Check here Raymond Blanc slowly cooking a shin of beef. Go to 15:00.

Edited to add : shin of beef. I didn't remembered the English name of the cut.

Last edited:
Joined Aug 25, 2009
Is that not called the shank ?
Btw the apple terrine at the end was simply divine , I enjoyed how he demonstrated how the pectin helped keep the texture of the dish , it did not turn to mush but caramelized perfectly holding it's shape after many hours of cooking . This whole video showcased proper technique of all item , the right flavor , can be turned into something quite mouthwatering .

Last edited:
Joined Oct 2, 2010

Looks and sounds delicious. Replace the black olives with green ones and you've got a class Tajine: slow cooked chicken with green olives and preserved lemons. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif
Thanks FF, you're right, the dish is Moroccan inspired but I added a (in fact completely redundant) mushroom sauce that surprisingly worked very well. There's also tandoori massala on the chicken for an extra kick. I love experiments with slow cooking.

About Raymond Blanc and slow cooking/rustic cooking; last Monday the BBC started a new cooking program with Tom Kerridge. The guy owns a pub which acquired... 2 Michelin stars, that's more than unique, a pub with Michelin stars!! I saw Tom a few years ago for the first time in "The Great British Menu" on the BBC. Such a lovable guy, always in a good spirit and a fabulous cook who makes these dishes, often rustic looking, but on a very high level. This is the sort of cuisine I would love to master myself.

The following video about Tom Kerridge is from yet another past British program "Masterchef, The Professionals", one of the best cooking challenges I ever saw, judged by none other than Michel Roux jr.. Watch the scallop dish he makes at the end of the video. Watch also the tricks he reveals on making his sauces.

Top Bottom