What did you have for dinner?

Joined Jul 13, 2012
I broke down a front quarter of venison today.  It was from last years harvest and it was a great year for taste.  Once the bone was gone and I separated the meat from the sinue I ended up with @ 3+ lbs. of clean meat good enough to grill.  I have two large muscles that went on low and slow then some in between sized pieces that cooked a little quicker then there were the two big ones that were so perfect tasting that while this seems like genius -  It is not - despite being soo good . . . . it tastes like meat candy. 

Last edited:
Joined Apr 4, 2012
lightly smoked game hens brined with Lapsang Souchong and herbs from Provence, smoked salt potatoes, Greek salad and warn watermelon pickled asparagus. The tea and herbs played off each other nicely. Going to continue the experiment with the combination.   

Cheers,

EDG

Joined Nov 5, 2007
Lapsang Souchong is the tea I prefer to use when doing my tea cured salmon.  Interesting stuff.

mjb.

Joined Aug 18, 2007
What did you do with the salmon loomchick?

Number 3 son is just back from 5 weeks charity work in Cambodia and fueled with a passion for the local food, so here is Amok chicken in bamboo leaf with sticky rice, asparagus and spinach. It was sublime. The wee drizzle of coconut milk and red chilli really made it

Joined Nov 5, 2007
I should look for some bowls with chopstick rests built in.

In the US of A, toad in the hole is, as pictured earlier, an egg fried within a cutout of a slice of bread.  A classic English Toad in the Hole is sausages that are baked in a pastry, much like a Yorkshire pudding in terms of ingredients and texture:

toad-in-hole-bangers.jpg

Joined Mar 19, 2009
I will take a portion of CB penne as a primo piato and a slice (or two) of KK brisquet with a salad as a secondo. Dessert: Kaique figs tart. Perfect!

Joined Apr 8, 2013
I was intrigued in the "What's your favourite breakfast?" thread. I have made a lot of breakfast burrito's in my life, but none with a fried egg or without potatoes/rice. 

My absolute favourite breakfast is this:

Get 2 tortillas, heat in the oven in foil and take them out when warm, leave them in the foil to steam themselves.

Fry two eggs - soft yolk.

Grill (or fry, but come on, let's not get too mental!)  2 sausages

Spread the tortillas with hot chilli salsa, real kick stuff, but not so bad it'd burn your mouth off. Halve the sausages lengthways and distribute them evenly through the tortilla. Place the eggs on top of this, then a good drizzle of sour cream. Roll up and scoff. HELL yeah, what a way to wake up.

It's 06:35 here and I'm salivating at the thought. Oh well, muesli for me. :S

I only had chorizo, instead of sausage, bit it turned out light and rich. Rendering the chorizo a bit in a cold pan up to medium heat really helped everything. I had just one and was stuffed! ​

Joined Jun 28, 2010
The variety of amazing creations by everyone is mind boggling!

Happy Rosh Hashanah!

Made a few things for the occasion. I am sure neither one is authentic.  
wub.png

Chopped liver, more like liver pate. I used chicken liver. There is nothing special about the recipe, just schmaltz and gribenes in the mix, in addition to other ingredients. The chopped liver was served on home made puffed rice cookies.

And

Sosu vide brisket with sautéed figs, glazed carrots and onion. Fig chutney made from the inside of the figs on the brisket.

dcarch

Joined Jan 5, 2007
I should look for some bowls with chopstick rests built in.

In the US of A, toad in the hole is, as pictured earlier, an egg fried within a cutout of a slice of bread.  A classic English Toad in the Hole is sausages that are baked in a pastry, much like a Yorkshire pudding in terms of ingredients and texture:

toad-in-hole-bangers.jpg

I made toad in the hole for lunch on Saturday. :D

I've never seen it made with a pastry, only a Yorkshire pudding batter. I brown the sausages in an oven proof dish (i use a le creuset rectangular dish that i use for larger pies or lasagne). When they have a caramelised crust, I turn up the heat until fat is smoking, then pour on the batter and immediately put into a hot oven. The Yorkie mix puffs up amazingly and the sausages look nicely coloured. I serve the traditional way with an onion gravy.

Last edited:
Joined Apr 8, 2013

The variety of amazing creations by everyone is mind boggling!

Happy Rosh Hashanah!

Made a few things for the occasion. I am sure neither one is authentic.  
wub.png

Chopped liver, more like liver pate. I used chicken liver. There is nothing special about the recipe, just schmaltz and gribenes in the mix, in addition to other ingredients. The chopped liver was served on home made puffed rice cookies.

And

Sosu vide brisket with sautéed figs, glazed carrots and onion. Fig chutney made from the inside of the figs on the brisket.

dcarch

Absolutely lovely and beautiful!

Here is a shot of the appetizer for tonight. Sweet, sour and spicy chicken lettuce wraps. 

Top Bottom