What did I step in now? or logistics of events.

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by shroomgirl, Apr 22, 2002.

1. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    May 19th, I'm throwing a little event with 18 chefs, 30+ volunteers, donated farm food, music, parking, rentals, PR and invitations.....goal is 300 paying bodies.
    Just doing the logistics has been interesting. Where does the porta pot go....who can design the poster and mailing in a timely manner....tickets vs just name tags...lining up volunteers....getting chefs and farmers connected so that the menu can be printed. Any advice from those that have been through this before?

2. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Shroom,

I haven't been through this before, but perhapes a few valium would be in order ;)

3. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    I actually had my first Makers Mark in a few years last night....actually is was a few dbls straight up. And my first cigarette in 25 years....only one, and I remember why I quit.

4. jim berman

jim berman

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Shroom,
    When I was in charge of special events planning at my last account, we always broke each event out like this:
    Food
    Labor
    Rentals
    Other

Specifically, once the menu was written the order guide was scribed and the the neccesary rentals were lined up. The rentals will dictate how many tables, etc, therefore staffing follows. The 'other' column was usually a large enough category that somebody was designated to take care of the 'loose ends' (of which there are sooooo many). Like where exactly does the porta-potty go? Do we need to buy ice? If so, how much and where do we get it? Signs... tickets... cash-handling...
    I would examine one aspect at a time and start making a chart of Item, Who is Responsible & Timeline (status, completion)

Help ya'? Hope so. And just remember, it all seems to fall apart an hour before the event... and then come hurdling back together 10 minutes before the first guest arrives. :)

5. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Jim, boy is that a comforting thought.....so it ALWAYS came back together?
    I'm putting this party on with 2 other decision makers and 3 other head volunteers.....18 chefs that have to decide their dishes so I can print...umpteen farmers to connect the chefs to who need to know how much and what they'll have May 19th. Meanwhile I got a call today as we're going to print asking me to reconsider the price of $50 pp includes food, wine and beer as well as being a fundraiser for the market......stuck to my guns, let's hope they don't backfire. 300 paying guests is the goal.

6. jim berman

jim berman

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Have confidence, fair Shroomie!! It ALWAYS comes together... especially since you know what you are doing. You do know what you are doing, right?!? ;) Of course you do!! Just keep those extra decision makers in check... 'rule by committee' is not my strong point.
    Fifty bucks is not much for an event of this caliber. Think of a night out at a half-way decent restaurant; not to mention, a restaurant experiene is not gauranteed to be as 'detail oriented' as your undertaking. You'll be great!