[What] country to live in...

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by ploofafa, Jan 26, 2010.

1. ploofafa

ploofafa

Exp:
    Culinary Student
    I suppose this does deal with Cooking / Food, in one sense or another. :lol:

Any who, I have it in my head that after I complete (and for that matter, start) Culinary School, I would like to live somewhere where there are quaint little bakeries and the like. I have this picture of cobblestone roads with signs depicting what is sold within the shops, and people strolling along, occasionally popping into one of the various shops. People on mopeds / scooters, zooming along, taking in the sights. Now, I have no clue where this vivid little picture came from, but it sounds to me like something that is far gone. I have thought it would be amazing to live somewhere like France, or Italy, or London, but I have not the slightest idea of really how big Pastry Arts (or even baking) is there. I am so ignorant.

And I guess that would be my question; can anyone shed some light in this darkened room I call life?

2. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    You should be happy in France. I would consider the south-east (mediterranean coast) if you like sun, Bretagne (west) if you like the Ocean and colder weather, Paris if you like the big city life (albeit with many neighborhoods giving you the feel of a small village).

The pastry arts are obviously HUGE in France.

Your description also triggered memories from Portugal, Spain, Italy, Corsica, Sardinia and Greek islands. I'm not sure how big the pastry arts are in any of those countries though.

3. ploofafa

ploofafa

Exp:
    Culinary Student
    This is not to say that I am opposed to remaining in the United States (of which I currently reside). I would just rather prefer NOT to have to LIVE IN the big city.

4. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    Have you ever been to San Francisco? If you haven't, I would seriously consider a trip - you might just fall in love! As for the pastries, I recommend "La Boulange de Polk".

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. dc sunshine

dc sunshine

Exp:
    Other
    Australia, city of Melbourne, Victoria. Chapel Street in particular. Every third shop is a bakery/patisserie. You gain 5 pounds just looking in the windows. And the cafe life reigns supreme, apart from many world renowned and excellent restaurants. Very multicultural - you can get pretty much of everything. An Indian eatery, next to an Italian, a Chinese, a Greek, a Thai, an old style Aussie pub - you get the picture. And that's all within 200metres. Oh and the markets! Outstanding.

(I feel like a travel brouchure).

Or Paris, Montemarte. Very bohemian, so full of character, and characters. Just don't stray in Pigalle....

Oxford, UK. There you will find cobbled streets, many chocolatiers and patiserries (bakers, there :) ) - oh don't hit me you british folk. So much history - the place dates way back. I think the oldest building still in use we saw was early 1400's. Farmers markets seem to be all the rage from what I see on the idiot box.

The architecture in both UK and France are amazing, many cathedrals, museums, monuments etc and so forth. Then again, Italy may be one to consider -do you have a second language? Haven't been there personally, but it too has much character.