What cooking or food fad do you HATE?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by mrmexico25, Jul 29, 2013.

1. siduri

siduri

Exp:
    At home cook
    I had some fried shrimp today with shell and they were small and tender enough to pull off the head and tail and to just chew through the shell, but if the shrimp is bigger and the shell is thicker, why put breading ON THE SHELL - then you peel it and have a steamed shrimp - fine if that's what you want but it seems a big waste - and fishing through sauce and pasta to get the shrimp out and de-shell them - bla.  i never fail to get spattering of sauce all over my clothes. 

2. pollopicu

pollopicu

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    All those same here.

I absolutely HATE communal seating in restaurants. It could be a restaurant I've looked forward to visiting in ages, if I see there's communal seating I turn right around and out the door. Communal seating is so disgusting to me. I rather have my plate served on the cover of a toilet seat than eat next to strangers. If you're wondering why so much hatred towards communal seating is because people here in the states are uncivilized animals, who can't control their kids or can't keep their loud mouth shut. People here are slobs.

I swear whenever I see a restaurant with communal seating, I have such a strong physical reaction to it I want to vomit. The sight or thought of it makes me so angry, as you can see. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/mad.gif

I love this article i read a while back.

http://www.bonappetit.com/columns/nitpicker-columns/article/i-m-sick-of-communal-dining

another good one.

http://www.nypost.com/p/entertainme...jNXlmKOxx32ML?utm_medium=rss&utm_content=Food

It's the most bullsh*t trend ever.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2013
  3. geno

geno

Exp:
    Beverage Expert
     Here in Mexico, all the shrimp is served from head to tail, unless you ask for breaded shrimp. That would be deheaded, pealed and deveined.  Breading a shrimp with the shell would be a waste of time, money and would make no sense what so ever.

As far as digging into a plate of whole shrimp, mojo de ajo being my go to dish, is not ever going to be elegant dining. Make sure you have a good supply of napkins, dig in and enjoy.  if you get juice on your clothes, slow down, you are trying too hard.

4. kaiquekuisine

kaiquekuisine

Exp:
    Line Cook
    well here in brazil breaded shrimp , means without head or tails regardless.

Usually in most menus they will inform you of how the shrimp is with or without skin , head or tails. 

I guess i eat them regardless because its usually informed on the dishes the way they are prepared. I dont think i would eat pasta with shrimp that has a shell and head and everything , so if  the preparation wasnt listed on the menu i would send it back. 

PP , communal seating i horrible DX and Brazilians have the biggest tendencies to speak loundly while eating like seriously <_<

I once went to an amazing japanese restaurant that specialized in ramen. Best ramen i have had in awhile , the food is amazing , BUT its COMMUNAL  SITTING , imagine a small restaurant , eating next to strangers , slurping ramen, speaking japanese to each other and loudly on top of that. By far the best ramen , but bad dining experience , if i go there ill usually try to eat as soon as they open to avoid any rush XD. 

5. siduri

siduri

Exp:
    At home cook
    Not that i eat that often in seafood restaurants, being very expensive, i never have had a shrimp that's been peeled here, no matter HOW it's cooked.  Unfortunately, because i love shrimp.  And while digging into a dish with shrimp and tomato or whatever may be fun, (i personally don;t like my hands all greasy and smelling afterwards of food, or just as bad, of those horrible scented wipes they give you) it is definitely not fun with pasta.  The antennae and pieces of leg break off and you get them stuck (as i did today) under your gums, between your teeth, or simply adding a very unpleasant texture to the pasta.  I'm not particularly put off by their cockroach-like shape, but i know some people are. 

And fried, it's just stupid. 

6. kaiquekuisine

kaiquekuisine

Exp:
    Line Cook
    ehh , when i started working i peeled and de-veined hundreds of shrimps daily.

To later find out you can eat them whole. 

To me when shrimps are whole ill eat them fried ( un battered cuz it is a waste ) with a side of sauce or with some veggies , but i do understand why stingers and heads get in the way when you are eating pasta , rice , etc....

But i love shrimp always have , so i dont mind it as much , just my opinion. XD 

But i have several friends and cooks who cant stand eating them whole so it depends on the person , regardless pass me the shrimps ill eat them XD. 

7. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Goat cheese. I'm sooooooo over this stuff, must it be in everything?

We're toying with the idea of going out for dinner tonight at a BBQ joint that has communal seating. We tried to go out for a nice civilized brunch at a French bistro today but my son was being uncooperative and we left before ordering and before he threw a tantrum, we wouldn't want offend other diners with a terrible screaming child.

It's ny, whether the tables are separated or not they're so close together it's always communal. I quite like the bid table at Le Pain Quotidien.

8. siduri

siduri

Exp:
    At home cook
    Yeah, i actually like communal tables myself.  ALL restaurants are noisy here, so there's really no difference.  Italians love noise. 

I'm with you Koukou on the goat cheese, but mainly because i don;t like it - has an aftertaste similar to truffle, which (egad) i also don;t much like. 

9. petalsandcoco

petalsandcoco

Exp:
    Private Chef
    I don't know what this falls under but I just have to say it because it bothers me so much, 'an open kitchen'.

Garde Manger has it (yes, I eat there but have stopped because its just too noisy), and countless other kitchens . If I am going to pay for great food, I would like peace and  quiet without the theatrical displays of the kitchen.

I don't need to hear the shouting, pots and pans....etc.

I recently came back from a weekend at Château Vaudreuil (anniversary thing with parents) and we had a 5 course meal. The new veg dante is now becoming raw. Their Sunday brunch was great.

There is a dress code. Do you still need a dress jacket to eat breakfast ? Maybe its just me.

MG is great for learning but it can be over kill in some restaurants.

I don't like papers on tables either .

@ Ordo: that was a great list . I still like decanting wine but hate the sommelier coming around every 5 minutes.

10. kaiquekuisine

kaiquekuisine

Exp:
    Line Cook
    I kinda believe that a cook almost has the right to swear and curse , and exagerate in some points , and having a kitchen with a huge window can really be bothersome to some. 

11. skipstrr

skipstrr

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Kale!!! Geez it's like people just figured it out..and places are doing everything with it...take something healthy and deep fry it , serve with butter and sour cream...uggh!

12. durangojo

durangojo

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I'm not sure if this qualifies as a food fad hate or pet peeve but it is certainly a HUGE burr under my saddle: overly perfumed or cologned men and women in restaurants!!!!....throat scratchy, eye watering and nauseating...so much so that you can't enjoy your meal, and actually can and does ruin an otherwise wonderful meal and dining experience...because of the overwhelming 'stench' one also can not enjoy the wonderful food smells coming out of a kitchen or even off one's own plate. the smell of sautéed garlic and wine,steaks grilling,sauces simmering and all things cooking are lost to someone else's bad taste. As a restaurant owner and chef the smell makes me not only physically ill but also angry. If i had the choice i would totally ban the over perfumed.....just don't seat them or hand them a wet warm hand towel...how does one do that i wonder? if i can smell a customer coming through the front door from my kitchen you know it's not a good start.
    just curious, do the haute cuisine places aside from a dress code have a perfume code? They should......aarrgh!
    joey

biggest aarghs as a diner.......big wine glasses, small pour....and please don't make me look like it's my first time out in public by serving my salad in an oversized teacup.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2013
  13. cook-e

cook-e

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I couldn't agree more.  What's WITH all that perfume??  Can totally ruin an otherwise wonderful dining experience.   People must not realize how off-putting that is.

14. Iceman

Iceman

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    There are specific reasons for different sized and shaped wine glasses. Specific wines, to many people that seriously appreciate wine, taste much better when enjoyed from the proper glass. That goes for beer too, but I don't know as much about beer.

15. amazingrace

amazingrace

Exp:
    At home cook
    Hi durangojo!  Right on!  HubbyDearest and I went to a favorite place recently,  and the waitress smelled like she had bathed in cheap fragrance.  It was so strong that I swear I could even TASTE it.  I'm with you...I want to smell and taste my food,  not the server.

16. durangojo

durangojo

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Yes ice, i realize and appreciate the value of the right glass for the right wine, but let me clarify by saying i am not talking about one of 'those' types of places. Telluride,yes, Aspen,hell yes, Durango, no....we don't got no stinkin' sommelier's here...here we drink our jaeger straight from the bottle!:cool: I am talking about going into a nice casual little joint ordering a glass of house wine and what you get is a 24 ounce glass with an obscenely thin stem and about a 3 oz pour.....and i might add at about $11 bucks......that's what i'm saying!!:rolleyes:

joey

Last edited: Sep 4, 2013
  17. dcarch

dcarch

Exp:
    Home Cook
    "----You might know the map:  The taste buds for "sweet" are on the tip of the tongue; the "salt" taste buds are on either side of the front of the tongue; "sour" taste buds are behind this; and "bitter" taste buds are way in the back.  Wineglasses are said to cater to this arrangement. ----"

And that is completely scientifically wrong, but perfectly sound to sell more wine glasses.

dcarch

18. cacioepepe

cacioepepe

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    And I don't necessarily take the opinion of a guy who wears a wife beater, a boxing glove and a wine glass for his headshot. I half kid.

Im really over the handmade ceramic dish with the negative space plating, and 4 different kinds of cutesy flowers.  

Stating that you have reclaimed materials from "insert historic barn, church, brothel here."

Plaid shirts as uniforms. I wish another print would come into fashion.

Not sure if its a trend per se, but I hate share silverware.  I dont need that many sets of spoons and forks for my food.

19. dobzre

dobzre

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Technique/Aesthetics > Flavor 

20. chrisbelgium

chrisbelgium

Exp:
    Home Cook
    The worst; all-inclusive hotels with their cheap "local" drinks from plastic glasses and their crappy food. Done it once,.. never again.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2013