What cooking or food fad do you HATE?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by mrmexico25, Jul 29, 2013.

1. mrmexico25

mrmexico25

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    This can be anything from a dish, technique or style. Anything about cooking that annoys you?

Mine, stuffed bell peppers... I just don't get it, never had a good one either so...

2. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I never really enjoyed the stuffed peppers I had as a kid.  But I sure like the ones I make now.

Chipotle annoys me.  It seems in recent years every fast food or national chain restaurant has offered chipotle this or chipotle that, everywhere you turn.  On the plus side, you can now easily find canned chipotles and usually plain dried ones in just about any market.  Not like the old days when I needed to search around if I was planning on making a batch of chipotle chile or chipotle mayo or whatever.

mjb.

3. mrmexico25

mrmexico25

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Yea the chipotle craze is everywhere. We make a chipotle ranch at my restaraunt, people love it...

4. babytiger

babytiger

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Technique over flavor. We're at one of the Top 100 restaurants a few months back. Many, many techniques were used (quite impressive), with supposedly the best ingredients. In terms of flavor though, there were no "wow" moment. Even if the food was free (it's more like $300 pp), I would not care to have any of the dishes again. I've never been so disappointed with a fine dinner restaurant.

5. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    But that's what bell peppers are for!  Delicious little pods ready to be filled with deliciousness.  There are so many good recipes, I just can't imagine you haven't found one you like.

6. mrmexico25

mrmexico25

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    I've always found that the amount of pepper is just too much.  Red, green and yellow bells go along way when julienned or diced.  Stuffed is just too much :\ IMHO

what turns you off in the kitchen?  anything?

7. mrmexico25

mrmexico25

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    I can see what you mean.  I've been to quite a few fine dining restaraunts and luckily they were not overly technique driven (no fancy smoke, artsy plating on the table or any non sense like that... although visually amazing)  I personally would much rather eat a rustic plated dish with deep, rich flavors.  Or something clean and fresh.  I try to to get to crazy with plating.  

8. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    It can be too much but I guess that comes down to the recipe. Peppers are very sweet so you have to stuff it with something that will balance it out. It needs a bit of salt, and spicy goes very well too.

I don't mind any fads as long as they are not too pervasive. I took several years off eating sundried tomatoes because they were on every menu and I'm back to eating them now. I love food whether its fancy or not fancy. I don't mind towers of food, food leaning on eachother, or in pretty shapes. I have an appreciation for it all. The only thing I cannot tolerate in a kitchen is poor hygiene and serving food with one's hands.

9. pollopicu

pollopicu

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Foam, espuma, cat throw up, whatever you want to call it, it's just gotta stop.

Man, stuffed bell peppers are delicious. At least the ones I make are.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 30, 2013
    nicko likes this.
  10. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    For crying out lout Pollopicu.  Just ship it to me!  What's in there???

11. pollopicu

pollopicu

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    lol, It's Spanish style rice tossed together with ground beef that is cooked picadillio style with just a little tomato sauce in it, melted mozz on top. That was taken a while back. Now I slice my peppers sideways like a boats, much better to vehicle to maneuver.

12. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    All these terms! What is pucadillio style?

13. kaiquekuisine

kaiquekuisine

Exp:
    Line Cook
    Hmm , if there is one thing that annoys me is using something to decorate a dish , that isnt meant ot be eaten. 

Seriously if i cant eat it why is it on my plate -_- Thats something that just annoys me( obviously if it herbs its fine , but i have seen carrot tops , seeds , and even stems in dishes before).

The other technique that annoys me is something i have seen little but have seen it done when chefs wanna do molecular gastronomy. The good old , ~ lets sous vide this peice of meat and torch the outside of it to get it crispy... ~ 

14. mrmexico25

mrmexico25

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    I don't personally use much molecular gastronomy, or sou vide, but its wonderful when done right IMO. Especially sou vide and vacuum sealing.

15. pollopicu

pollopicu

Exp:
    Professional Chef
  16. sparkys44

sparkys44

Exp:
    Other
    When frozen food packages have "Microwaves in Seconds" plastered all over the bag or box! most of these products come out soggy, flat, over cooked, and destroyed of flavor. When I used to do food demos, I was always told to use a microwave… ignored the manual and used either a convection oven or toaster oven and the results were almost edible! though most of the "Joe & Jane public" I dealt with would eat sawdust with catsup… if I told them it was tasty /img/vbsmilies/smilies/rolleyes.gif

17. mrmexico25

mrmexico25

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Another pretty popular one that I hate is bacon wrapped filet mignon. Always undercooked bacon, and seemingly in the way of just a damn good steak. I'll never order one, ever.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2013
  18. kaiquekuisine

kaiquekuisine

Exp:
    Line Cook
    Yeh , i tend not to order them.

I one got one so rare it bled all over my sauce.

Only a canibal would eat it so pink , ever since then i got disgusted , and it wasnt just me , all the FMs that our group was eating were pink <_<

19. siduri

siduri

Exp:
    At home cook
    I fully agree.  I probably have said this already, but the fashion of piling things one on top of the other (perhaps to leave wide expanses of the dish completely white so you can drizzle sauce designs in quantities that are too small even to taste) is most annoying. 

What is the quality of a fried potato that is most appealing and characteristic?  The crispy outside, no? 

So who has the brilliant idea to make a stack of potatoes, maybe criss-crossed to make a tower, and a piece of juicy meat on top of them (juicy meat drips, right?  and liquid destroys the crispiness of the potatoes, right?). 

Or a piece of meat, say a nicely crisped piece of chicken, laying on top of mashed potatoes.  What's the sense in that?  I have to take it off the potatoes (with mash sticking to the chicken, making the crispiness of the skin mushy) in order to cut it - if i want to eat it with the potatoes i can certainly scoop a little up with the chicken - if i want - but if i don't i don;t see why i have to eat like i was in some prison food line with a crosseyed cook splopping one thing on top of the other because he can't really aim right. 

I never had sous vide but it doesn't appeal to me.  I like to actually bit into my meat, i can't imagine making it so tender that it melts in your mouth.  Meat shouldn't melt in your mouth.  But there i can't say anything. 

I also hate practically raw broccoli.  I remember when everyone used to overcook vegetables - in the days before julia child - but then everyone started undercooking them so you have to eat through a very hard broccoli that just had a quick swim in the water.  It should never be overcooked, which is awful, but it shouldn't threaten to loosen a filling either!

20. milknsugar

milknsugar

Exp:
    At home cook
    This doesnt apply to high end restaurants but overcooking vegetables and using too much cheese in vegetarian dishes. Just because someone doesnt eat meat does not mean the main course has to be a big chunk of goat cheese. I think vegetarian dishes are too often just a meat main course with the meat replaced with cheese or then an overcooked aubergine or eggplant. Disappointing.