What component (not dish) did you make from scratch (ferment, cure, pickle, spice blend) that you ar

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by eastshores, Jul 9, 2013.

1. eastshores

eastshores

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    For me recently is has been pickles. We're entering summer and in Florida that means a ton of fresh summer veges. I had a roast beef sandwich for lunch today with my dill spears and was happy to have them. They are saltier with more garlic and more acidic than store bought :)

trooper likes this.
  2. pollopicu

pollopicu

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Those pickles look great, Shores.

Today I made buttermilk by mixing whole milk and vinegar.. that's pretty much my contribution. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/tongue.gif

3. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I cleaned, salted and pickled some smelt the other day, working on making something like boquerones, but they taste more like basic pickled herring.  I like them.

I think next batch I'll go the smoked kipper route, see how that turns out.

mjb.

4. siduri

siduri

Exp:
    At home cook
    Home made:

english muffins

bagels

picallilli

bread and butter pickles

boiled fondant (this is actually good, not like the powdered sugar kind)

quince jelly

the first four of them are things i can't find here in any specialty store and have had to make my own. 

There isn't much that i buy ready made actually. 

edit: i just realized i did what annoys me when others do it - i didn't really read the post carefully.  the first two aren't components, but dishes in themselves - but, i guess they're components of a nice breakfast /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif

Last edited: Jul 10, 2013
  5. chrisbelgium

chrisbelgium

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I make all kinds of jams and jelly; from handpicked elder berries, rosebuds, quince (hard to find here), apples (with added spices). Also from bought fruit like pine apple, mango (adding orange zeste & juice), apricots, cherries,..

Once in a while I make flavored vinegars which are nothing else than handpicked herbs macerated in white vinegar. Tarragon vinegar, elderflower vinegar, rose petals vinegar...

6. eastshores

eastshores

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    • Pollo.. buttermilk counts! Can you really just add vinegar to whole milk to get that? I've been wasting it in the past!
    • Tf.. pickled fish.. man I am sure it is good but I've never had such.
    • Siduri.. you are a busy bee. English muffins sounds great.. I've made pretzel rolls and it was worth the time and effort, probably not too far from your bagels.
    • CB.. I love the idea of flavored vinegars. I hadn't even thought to do that but I will now!

Last edited: Jul 9, 2013
  7. pollopicu

pollopicu

Exp:
    Professional Chef
  8. mike9

mike9

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Great tip on the buttermilk.  I just made a tub of rub for BBQ.  Another thing I like to make is a balsamic reduction.  The last batch I made I added a cinnamon stick, some vanilla and a couple cloves to the pot.  It's great for dressing up a plating.

9. maryb

maryb

Exp:
    Semi pro/retired now
    My bison rub comprised of salt, garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper, rosemary, celery seed, dill

10. mike9

mike9

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Sounds like a good rub.  My standard rub is:

paprika

smoked paprika

celery salt

black pepper

garlic powder

onion powder

dry mustard

cayenne pepper

11. scubadoo97

scubadoo97

Exp:
    At home cook
    As a burger topping yesterday I made sliced portabella mushrooms browned and finished in port, topped with English Cheddar which was melted a bit from the hot mushrooms

12. ordo

ordo

Exp:
    Home Cook
    A friend of mine brought this spicy pepperoncino jam from Rome and challenged me to replicate it. Please click the image to see Fattoria Sila web site.

Of course, i love challenges. After a couple of fails I could mimic the jam almost exactly in texture, color, taste and aroma.

Then i did another batch adding to the jam 1 clove, 1 star anise and 1/4 stick cinnamon. And that came out just glorious. And I'm not being modest here. It's a heavenly hot&spicy pepperoni jam.

13. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I had a cream cheese based sandwich for lunch.  I bet some of that pepperoni jam would have been a treat on it!

mjb.

14. chicagoterry

chicagoterry

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I always have several different varieties of garam masala made up in jars as well as a blend of chilis for chili powder and another jar of roasted and ground cumin. I have a couple of homemade "curry powders" for when I'm in the mood for a bit of South Asian flavor but don't feel like making an actual Indian dish.

Then there are the jars of chicken stock in my freezer.

The other component I make often and am always happy with is a chunky, simmered tomatillo salsa, loosely interpreted from an old Rick Bayliss recipe. And pickled red onions to go on fish tacos.

15. siduri

siduri

Exp:
    At home cook
    I forgot ketchup - i always used to make ketchup when making hamburgers for the kids.  Now i can't eat any bought one.  So easy to do.  I just would make it when i decided to have hamburgers and keep the rest in the fridge.  But i did can it once.  Now i rarely have hamburgers, and when i do i just like picallilly on them. 

I used to make the hamburger rolls too. 

16. antilope

antilope

Exp:
    At home cook
    deleted.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2013
  17. ordo

ordo

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Baba ghanoush prep, a favorite dip.

18. chrisbelgium

chrisbelgium

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Here's another baba ganoush fan!

If you could post your spicy jam recipe, I would be very gratefull, Ordo.

19. ordo

ordo

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Of course my friend. It involves a series of steps, the first one is making your own pectine. Give me some minutes.

20. maryb

maryb

Exp:
    Semi pro/retired now
    For me sugar in a beef rub is wrong, a flavor profile I do not care for.