What can you (or do you) eat every day?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by koukouvagia, Oct 15, 2013.

1. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    What foods can you eat everyday without ever getting bored?  If I COULD I would eat pasta every day!  My list includes:

steak

mushrooms

hollandaise 

bechamel

bacon

mashed potatoes

shrimp

fresh bread with butter and honey

krispy kreme donuts

puff pastry or phyllo dough

I definitely think I could eat these every day and not get sick of them! Ok here's my not so exciting list of what I do eat every day:

eggs (almost every day)

salad with peas and avocado

almonds

carrots

yogurt

olive oil

mustard

2. bubbamom

bubbamom

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Chocolate
    Bacon
    Mashed potato
    Juicy peaches
    Seafood
    Pasta
    Garden fresh tomatoes
    Turkey
    Fresh bread w/ butter ...

3. siduri

siduri

Exp:
    At home cook
    do eat:

chocolate

bread with and without butter

milk (with tea and coffee mainly)

tea and coffee (only with milk)

cheese

sweet, juicy fruit in season (oranges, peaches, clementines, certain pairs (conference and coscia) plums, prunes, watermelon, pineapple, melon)

could eat (and why i don't every day):

steak (too expensive)

roast chicken (too much work and i like otehr things too)

pasta (babar the elephant)

tomatoes (good ones) (there aren't always good ones)

escarole soup (my husband would get sick of it)

chicken broth (too much time to make)

crisply roasted potatoes (preferably cooked with the roast chicken) (babar the elephant)

coffee ice cream with hard crack chocolate coating (not always available)

4. j20832

j20832

Exp:
    Other
    Every day I eat oatmeal for breakfast, a salad for lunch and then whatever the heck I want for dinner.  Really this is more about calorie control and healthy eating than about me liking either oatmeal or salads.

If there was no such thing as consequences, I could easily eat every day:

a big, calorie-laden burrito

apple cider doughnuts

mint-chocolate chip ice cream

a chocolate malt

onion rings

a burger with gorganzola and bacon

I could keep going, but thinking about this is just making me hungry.

5. chicagoterry

chicagoterry

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Things I do eat every day:

Breakfast:

Oatmeal with fruit

Almonds

Strong coffee with a bit of half and half.

Lunch:

Plain low-fat Greek yogurt sweetened with honey or a teaspoon of sugar and a dash of vanilla

More fruit, more almonds

More coffee

Dinner--anything I want, heavy on the vegetables and lean protein. Very rarely starch.  I eat a lot of chicken and chicken dishes. Thai and Indian Curries, stir-fries, (usually without the rice) fajitas, kabobs, spiced up roasted parts, braises in the winter. I also like pork tenderloins and every couple of weeks, I eat a steak. Every few weeks, I roast a chicken then use the carcass for stock.  

A little bit of bittersweet chocolate

If I didn't have to watch what I eat:

I would definitely eat a baguette or some kind of crusty bread every day--with butter, with jam, with cheese, dipped in olive oil and salt.

Cheese--all kinds of cheeses, especially sheep, goat and blues.

Pasta--all kinds of pasta

There are also two great sausage stores not far from my apartment and if health and weight were no concern, I'd eat a lot more sausage.

I also love to bake --usually seasonal fruit desserts. I would bake a new one every week if I could get away with it without turning into a blimp.

6. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Coffee.  Beer.

I could go a few days without beer.

mjb.

7. kaneohegirlinaz

kaneohegirlinaz

Exp:
    I Just Like Food

STEAMED WHITE RICE!!!

(what other's call sushi rice I guess, medium grain sticky rice)

Breakfast, lunch and dinner, and snacks...

8. butzy

butzy

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    What I could eat every day?

I'm with K-girl, steamed white rice, but in my case Jasmine rice, accompanied by SE Asian food.

It would take me a long time to get tired of that!

What do I eat every day?

An apple

Milk (only cold and only on its own. I hate milk in coffee or tea)

Black tea (well, I don't eat it....)

Left overs (at some point during the day /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif)

Sounds pretty boring now I look at it!

9. cuts and scraps

cuts and scraps

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I could eat a stir fry everyday. There are so many combinations of meat, veg, and sauce or spice. Not to mention noodle and rice types. Once I get on a stir fry kick it lasts for a few weeks. I am with you K-girl, The proper way to make rice is what everyone calls sticky rice. :)

10. chrisbelgium

chrisbelgium

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I cannot start my day without coffee, a few slices of excellent bread with butter and homemade jam. Any day, since the fifties of previous century.

Potatoes never bore me too. And a glass of wine or two with dinner. I need fresh veggies every day or I have this feel of not having eaten something interesting.

Pasta is something I try to limit to max. two per week.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2013
  11. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    If I could eat potatoes everyday I would never look at a rice kernel ever again.  Not even for risotto.

12. lagom

lagom

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Every day I do eat;
    Yogurt
    Milk, with my special k or corn flakes
    1 piece of bread, the end cut, right out of the oven, with real butter and good honey, my morning snack.
    Vegetables, i love all vegies
    A banana, the riper the better
    Cheese, lovley, stinky, room tempeture cheese,
    Coffee, it flows in my veins

If I ever retire I will drink Scotch, every day, JW Black during the day, neat please, and McCallans 18 from supper on. Not too much, 1 finger at a time. As it is now I may have one Scotch a week. Oh, and a nice cigar every evening

13. durangojo

durangojo

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    What i eat every single day....greens salad of some kind with vegetables, cheese of some kind, fruit of some kind, protein drink of some kind, but usually the 'green machine', garlic in some form, some sort of hot sauce

What i could eat everyday...seafood, specifically shellfish(lobster, clams, scallops, oysters, mussels, calamari, crab)
    triple creme cheese
    kalamata olive bread with evoo or butter
    home smoked bacon
    espresso
    dark chocolate
    smoked salmon or lox
    a 'real deal' caesar salad
    a good cookie
    fried calamari with lemon aioli
    fried oysters from stagnaro's in santa cruz
    chicken wings....grilled or baked, not fried......asian, curried, tandoori, spicy hot

Last edited: Nov 17, 2013
  14. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    What's the green machine?  And what's triple creme cheese?

15. kaneohegirlinaz

kaneohegirlinaz

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I was at Trader Joe's yesterday and I SAW that!! (they also had pumkin cream cheese, mmm)  I've never had that before, but seeing as I'm the only one who eats cream cheese (ew, it's creamy, yuk, I don't like that, ewww!)

16. durangojo

durangojo

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    KK,
    The 'green machine' is a blended protein drink made up of mostly green foods......wheat grass, barley grass, spinach, broccoli, blue green algae,spirulina, chlorella and a few fruits(banana, apple, mango,kiwi)to make it taste more palatable, i guess, but i like the more earthy flavors of the grasses. The brand i buy is 'naked' but there are others.....odwalla is a well known one. They have other blends as well such as berry, carrot, mango, pom, but i like the green machine best. I just feel good drinking it and since i'm not a breakfast eater, it supplies me with enough fuel to get on with my day....til my tummy is ready for food.
    As for the triple cream cheese....oh lordy..they are lushest of lush in cheesedom. creamy,buttery and rich kind of cheese. The real deal ones are both expensive and hard to find, but worth every red cent when you do find them. Your life will never be the same after eating a grilled french triple creme sandwich on good artisan bread....think perfectly ripe brie on performing enhancing drugs. A few common french ones that you may know by name recognition are saint andre, explorateur, brillat-savarin or my personal favorite boursault. Cambozola black label is another near death experience for me as well, but it is not french...bavarian i think. There are other countries that produce triple cream cheeses....Italy, germany, the u.s. Last year while at california's point reyes seashore we stumbled into the 'cowgirl creamery' where they make some amazing triple creme cheeses..using milk from the local cows i might add, which are very, very happy cows grazing on those hillsides along the pacific. Their Mt. Tam cheese is transporting. Even more so drizzled with honey. Have you ever had honey with a perfectly perfect brie? You must try it. I would go back there in a heartbeat to get more of that cheese and honey. A lot of the world of cheese is somewhat confusing to me but like wine,the learning is endless and fun! I do know that to be labeled as a triple cream cheese it is required to have a butterfat content of at least 75%......oh yeah....
    steve Jenkins 'cheese primer' is a great book to have around to noodle around in....lots of great information.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2013
  17. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    You should see my face contortions as I'm reading about this green juice you describe.  Don't get me wrong, every couple of days I force myself to drink a kale/ginger/chard/apple thing that I get from a local juice bar.  Last time I added a beet to it and I about keeled over from the dirt taste.

I'll have to try out this cheese thing, I'll head to Trader Joe's later today :)

18. kaneohegirlinaz

kaneohegirlinaz

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    @Koukouvagia   Trader Joe's is so wonderful!!  Love their cheese case!  We tried some manchego cheese as our afternnon snack yesterday with grapes and some almonds,it went very nicely with a glass of the wine featured this month, les portes de bordeax sauvignon blanc, lovely!

19. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I heart Trader Joe's

20. durangojo

durangojo

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    beet juice is my favorite, especially with wheatgrass! did you feel better though after drinking it? perhaps like cilantro, beet juice is an acquired taste...i crave it now, but i made and ate mudcakes as a kid and LOVED them....do try one again sometime kk... you never know..they put fruit juice in them so it's tastier for the masses.

if you have a good cheese shop near you(which i'm sure you do) check them for the triple creme/cream cheeses......not sure what tj's carries....saint andre may be an easy one to find there.

yes, tj's is great...we do not have one here...the nearest is 250 miles away in santa fe, so when i go it's like christmas!!!!!

it's great that you now love t'j's...i remember a few years back that you didn't...you said it wasn't your kind of store for whatever reason...so glad you changed your mind..sometimes it just takes a few spin around the aisles.....they really are great stores i think...the founder's new venture is to open a different type of store .......right on!! makes you feel good about the human race when you see people give back.

http://news.yahoo.com/trader-joe’s-...red-food-into-cheap-meals---p--222108892.html

joey

Last edited: Oct 23, 2013