What can go with rice?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by billylambley92, Oct 31, 2016.

1. billylambley92

billylambley92

Exp:
    Culinary Student
    Hey people when I finish my college course I want to try and start up a mobile catering business like a burger van but instead of burgers I'll be doing a rice shack where I would do different types of rice e.g egg fried rice and on top different meats e.g southend fried chicken my question is what could I add to the rice to make it not as dry would a sauce or flavoured liquid go with it or would a condiment go with it?

2. chefross

chefross

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Hello and welcome to ChefTalk.

Rice is one of those ingredients that every culture on earth will cook differently.
    Ask an Asian and they'll tell you the Americans don't cook rice enough, while Eastern Indians will say we over cook ours.

In my experience, you'll have an issue holding your rice for service.
    Just sitting in a steam table pan will over cook the rice and make it gummy.

Adding a white cream sauce to the rice will help temporarily, but eventually you may have to consider making rice a couple times during the shift, or keep partially cooked and cooled rice in pans in the fridge, only to remove orders as needed to heat and finish.

Rice is a tricky character.

flipflopgirl likes this.
  3. billylambley92

billylambley92

Exp:
    Culinary Student
    Hello thanks for the reply I was thinking about the storing of rice and yes I cant keep it in a rice cooker for more than 2 hours for health reasons so the only logical way would be to cool the rice and keep it refrigerated and then take out portions to serve, I just imagine that if for example I did egg fried rice and then the customer wanted SFC of the rice, then the dish would be quite dry to east all at once which Is what I'm a little stumped at I could add a white sauce like you suggested but white sauce and egg fried rice and SFC would be a weird combo.

Thanks Billy

4. flipflopgirl

flipflopgirl

Exp:
    Retired Hospitality
    Like @Chefross  suggested.... buy a few rice cookers and stagger the start times.

As soon as one pot goes a bit soggy (or reaches the window of death ;-) dump it out and put it at the back of the line.

Yes you will be wasting a lot but this is something you should pound out when writing your menu.

mimi

5. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Like turning the leftover rice into calas.

Calas, belle calas. Tout chaud!

6. flipflopgirl

flipflopgirl

Exp:
    Retired Hospitality
    Thinking like a chef...Chef ;-)

Rice pudding with lots of cinnamon and raisins!

mimi

Last edited: Nov 4, 2016
  7. millionsknives

millionsknives

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    This thread is all over the place. You are cooking things fresh or you're making fried rice? Fried rice is made with cold refrigerated rice that's dried out a bit. That would make your life a lot easier.

You need to decide what your concept is before you plan a menu and start planning logistics.