What are your favourite ways to use buttermilk?

Joined Feb 8, 2003
I just baked a buttermilk brownie; and I got rave reviews, and I was wondering what else people might use it for?
I'm lactose-intolerant myself; but do a lot of baking for church activies, and I enjoy being affectionately know as the bakergurl.
I try to be as creative as possible in my baking; and I would appreciate any advice that could help, thank you in advance.:)

Joined May 26, 2001
B I S C U I T S!!!!!

(Our bready kind here in the States, that is, not the British cookie kind)

Joined Dec 1, 2002
I was also going to say, before I had read this post, FRIED CHICKEN! Cape beat me to it. I used it once when making twice baked potatoes, also regular mashed, it adds that nice tang. MMMMM

Joined Dec 4, 2002
Creme Fraiche?
Back in the 80's I used it in muffin recipes...OMG:)
Lately, I've only used it in "homestyle" "ranch" dressings.
Love it though....my GF, who is from Poland, reminded me that they call it "sour milk" and often used it for breakfast much the same way you see yogurt used today, like with berries and such...

Joined Jul 12, 2001
A buttermilk question...

I don't use it often but did need some the other day for a recipe and could only find buttermilk marked "low fat" or "reduced fat". Went everywhere thinking I wanted "whole" or full fat (whatever that might be); an Albertson's, Smith's (the chain stores here in Santa Fe) then on to Whole Foods and an assortment of independent grocers. Never found it. Was I wrong to go looking ? Is there such a thing ?

FWIW, I ended up using the reduced fat stuff and did not notice that anything suffered but I'm still curious.

Joined Aug 4, 2000
Fyfas:

Most buttermilk that I've seen in supermarkets is marked as 'low fat'. However, on occasion I think I've seen 'regular', 'high fat' buttermilk also although it's less common than its low fat counterpart.

Joined Nov 30, 2002
I like to use buttermilk in my clam chowder. Take any recipe for clam chowder but use half of the milk it says to use and use buttermilk for the other half

Joined Aug 4, 2000
It's the acid in buttermilk that reacts with baking powder giving rise to CO2 (I think) that causes the pancakes and other kinds of batters to rise.

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
You shouldn't be able to find a "full fat" version of buttermilk. Originally, it was what was left after making butter so most of the fat ends up in the butter. So it's already a fat skimmed product.

From epicurious.com

Buttermilk of times past was the liquid left after butter was churned. Today it is made commercially by adding special bacteria to nonfat or lowfat milk, giving it a slightly thickened texture and tangy flavor. Some manufacturers add flecks of butter to give it an authentic look.

Phil

Joined Oct 13, 2001
I like to use Buttermilk in my breading of fish , especially catfish .
I take boneless catfish filets and cut them into fingers ( yes I call this catfish fingers ) kind of like a 1/4 inch american potato fry cut.
I put the fingers in a bowl of buttermilk and then dredge in seasoned bread crumbs. I like a little cajun seasoning in mine but the sky is the limit . Fry at 350 till they are floating and browned . Seved with a great tartar sauce , fried potatoes , and a kicked up cole slaw and man is this heaven . Oh , a good buttermilk biscuit might top it off also ?

isa

Joined Apr 4, 2000
Scones with buttermilk and cherries. It does sound wonderful Jim. :lips: I think I should start exploring the world of scones and put aiside the classic, but delicious, ginger scones....

pete

Staff member
Joined Oct 7, 2001
Fried chicken is my #1 use for buttermilk. I marninate the chicken for 2 days in buttermilk, garlic and fresh sage. Makes great fried chicken!! I also used to have a great recipe for a Buttermilk-Lemon tart, though I think I have lost it.:mad: But I will add buttermilk to any recipe where I am looking for a little zing. Biscuits, cakes, fritters, soups (especially cold fruit soups), and mashed potatoes.

Joined Feb 8, 2003
This is the first time I started a topic that has go onto four pages; and I'm so happy to see so many ideas for using buttermilk. Unfortunately I live in Northern ON, Canada; and have never eaten catfish yet, but certainly hope to someday, especially since I love fish.
Does anyone know if buttermilk is easier to digest than cows milk; because I'm lactose-intolerant, but did hear that buttermilk is supposed to be easier to digest than regular milk?
:bounce:

Joined Dec 30, 1999
bakergurl6,

Since you love to bake and discovered that your brownies containing buttermilk were a hit, you're on your way to learning that just about all cakes, brownies, etc. which include buttermilk as an ingredient gain an added richness and moisture to them.

As far as lactose intolerance. In reality, 70% - 90% of the entire world population is lactose intolerant. Buttermilk is made from cow's milk so it is still going to be high in lactose by definition as opposed to say, soy milks and rice milks.

Out of all the ingredients total, I'm sure that in the end, most people will only eat one or two brownies. Thus, the total consumption of buttermilk is minute in the big picture, as opposed to someone drinking an entire glass of milk and not being able to digest it properly or quickly enough to prevent problems.

Everything in moderation....

;)

Latest posts

Top Bottom