What are your favorite wines?

Discussion in 'Pairing Food and Wine' started by shroomgirl, Sep 8, 2000.

1. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Ok. I'll admit it I'm a cherry berry girl.
    Haut Brion is OK but ohhhh Margaux
    Normally I will go for a Syrah, or Merlot.
    So if you go out and want a glass of wine what do you go for?

2. bayou

bayou

Shroomgirl, I try to read "Wine Enthusiist" when I can, and I jot down 3-4 wines (from their reviews) I'd like to try in my day-planner. Then, when I go out (or to a well stocked store) I look for a good food paring from the list. So far, so good. Fume' blancs with mild seafood; a nice Merlot with rare beef, a rich L'Ecole No. 41 Semillon for aps.

3. pete

pete Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    For reds I am definately a fan of Syrah and Pinot Noir. It has to be Syrah though, not shiraz. I love Northern Rhone wines. They pack quite a punch and lots of spiciness to them. For whites, anything but Chardonnay. I really am not a fan of American chards. I think that we tend to way over-oak them. I like my whites with a good (almost biting acidity) not the buttery, oaky flavors of most of the chards produced nowadays. I really like many german wines (for whites). They may be on the sweet side but many of them have a great acid backbone. And besides, they are very easy to pair with food.

4. cookm

cookm

I love zinfindels and pinot noirs. Berryish and spicy for the zin. Don't really like whites, except once I had a superb Savignion Blanc from Spottswoode. Excellent winery.

5. layjo

layjo

Exp:
    Sous Chef
    I enjoy Port, German Riesling, Muscadt, And Sherry at least for the time being.

6. jim berman

jim berman

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Riesling or Gewertreminer, sweet and 'zippy' (not sure that's a word from Wine Spectator, but... oh well).

7. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    1970 Fosceca with Stilton,dryed fruit and almonds [​IMG]
    1985 Domaine Romannie conte with anything.
    1961 latour with my wife ( her birth year)
    1979 Clos de mensiul with beluga.
    1985 Beringer reserve cabernet with roasted lamb,and maytag blue cheese flan.
    1988 sassacia with Braised veal shank and rissoto with Porcini
    Beaujolais and pizza :0

8. isa

isa

I never cared for red wine but love white wine. My favourite is Muscadet de Sèvre et Maine. What I really love though is champagne. Unfortunatly I don't have it often.

Sisi

9. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Barolo with pizza pretty good too.

10. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Never had anything I liked better than a glass of a good St. Emilion with a simple French meal. Can you say, "Divine"?

11. david jones

david jones

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    You chef's must make more than you're saying, judging by the wines you like to drink. [​IMG]

I think of a winemaker like I think of a chef, just fewer ingredients. Two of my favorite California winemakers are Bob Lindquist and Jim Clendennon. At whatever pricepoint, these guys make consistently good wine - Qupe, Il Podere dell'Olivos, Ici/La-bas, Chateau Routas, Cold Heaven, Au Bon Climat, etc. Kathy Joseph, from Fiddlehead Cellars makes excellent Pinot Noir and Sauvignon Blanc. Cathy Corrison's 1994 Cabernet Sauvignon is a beautiful work of art!

12. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Nope just the company we keep~ keeps me in wine.

13. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I cannot afford to bye some of the wines that I enjoy [​IMG] But as shroomgirl said I am lucky to have made good friends that share similar taste, we will all chip in on a case so we can all enjoy the wines and share our notes, Also when I was a D.I.N.K (double income no kids) I was able to afford alittle more than I can know. I'm sure anyone who has children can relate