What are you smoking?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by gonefishin, Nov 20, 2009.

1. grumio

grumio

Exp:
    At home cook
    I'm on the bacon bandwagon!  My last batch was my best yet, & I've got 5 lbs curing for next week.

I brined & beer-canned a chicken with a couple chunks of orange wood the other day; grill-roasting rather than smoking per se but still mighty good.

2. skatz85

skatz85

Exp:
    Line Cook
    actually im doing some pork shoulder as i write this. 1st time smoking and hoping it will be good. always wanted a smoker and finally got one. want to try some bacon next and my favorite smoked salmon.

3. jonk

jonk

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Eggplant. Yeah, eggplant.

For some reason, we often end the season with a great abundance of eggplant, even though we love the stuff and prepare it many different ways. The solution is to smoke the eggplant and freeze the resulting puree for later use as the prime ingredient in dips, pizza topping, soups, and pasta sauce. Basically, this is a version of the Arab dish of baba ghanoush (there is a similar dish that is popular in Romania.)

2 lbs eggplant, halved or quartered if large

8 tbsp olive oil, divided

2 tbsp lemon juice

3 cloves garlic

¼ tsp MSG or 1 tbsp soy sauce

½ cup fresh basil leaves, packed

¼ tsp red pepper flakes (optional)

hickory or mesquite wood chips for smoking

Brush eggplant with 2 tbsp of oil. Season with salt and pepper. 

Soak wood chips and wrap in heavy duty aluminum foil. Punch several large holes in the foil. Build an indirect fire. Place packet of wood chips on coals with hole side up. Place eggplants across from coals. Cover and smoke for one hour.

When eggplant is cool enough to handle scoop out flesh from skin (which will be tough) into bowl of food processor. Add remaining 6 tbsp olive oil and other ingredients. Puree, Season to taste with salt and pepper. 

For a pizza, we like to top this with fresh tomatoes (seeded, salted, drained and either sliced or chopped), thinly sliced red onion, and some provolen cheese. Either do the pizza in the oven on a stone or better yet on an outdoor grill.    

4. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook

That was funny. For a second I pictured a camel inside a smoker... then it hit me (DUH). /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smoking.gif

5. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Resurrecting an old thread.

Just loaded into the smoker. Maple & brown sugar in front, garlic & black pepper in back. The eye can't tell, but the nose sure can!

mjb.

6. oregonyeti

oregonyeti

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Yeah, that would be a huge smoker. Ha!

7. Iceman

Iceman

Exp:
    Professional Chef
  8. oregonyeti

oregonyeti

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Edit:  duh, never mind :^)

Last edited: Feb 20, 2015
  9. wartface

wartface

Exp:
    At home cook
    I'm smoking 2 - 8lb pork butts in my Big Green Egg. At 225 degrees it will take 16 to 18 hours. I'll wait through the stall. I don't like ruining the crust with the Texas crutch method.

10. maryb

maryb

Exp:
    Semi pro/retired now
    I never foil butts unless I need to hold them, best is fresh off the smoker. I tend to eat so much bark while pulling that I am full.

11. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I never eat the bark. Can't stand it, honest, trust me. And I have this bridge you might want to buy.

And I was going to talk about the pancetta I just did, but it is pancetta, so doesn't qualify here.

mjb.

12. oregonyeti

oregonyeti

Exp:
    Home Cook
    How do you eat dog vocalizations?

13. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Bone appetit!

14. mckallidon

mckallidon Banned

Exp:
    Line Cook
    Oops.  This thread is not what I originally thought it was.

15. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smoking.gif

16. genemachine

genemachine

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Posted this already in the "what are you smoking this summer"-thread. Given that it is winter now... Well. 65/35 lean/fat pork sausages, seasoned with majoram, garlic, pepper, stuffed in 40 mm beef, dried, smoked over light beech for three days 8 on / 16 off. Maturing in the cellar now for another week.

17. mckallidon

mckallidon Banned

Exp:
    Line Cook
    I'm getting on a plane now.  I'll bring some bread and wine next week.

18. genemachine

genemachine

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Theres always a couch to crash on here.... Now I have to hit the butcher once more - Pfefferbeißer (70/30, seasoned heavily with crushed peppercorns and some pickled green peppers, majoram, onion, garlic), stuffed in 20/22 sheep coming up today

19. mckallidon

mckallidon Banned

Exp:
    Line Cook
    Nice!  You ever do rabbit?  I had a good link the other month that was fantastic. Way better than those chicken sausages big in the US right now.

20. genemachine

genemachine

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I am raising rabbits, but never made sausage from them. Perhaps a project for this year. I don't buy into any health benefits, though - to get a decent rabbit or chicken sausage, you'll have to add about 30% pork back fat for texture anyway....