What are you paying for butter these days?

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by kuan, Mar 28, 2002.

1. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    My sources are telling me that the wholesale price of butter is way down. Have you people been seeing decreases in prices?

Kuan

2. marmalady

marmalady

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Don't know about wholesale, but just saw Land o Lakes at the supermarket for $4.99/lb.!!! Gross. I buy my personal butter at Wegman's, for $1.99/lb.

3. peachcreek

peachcreek

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    From my foodservice guy-$1.59# for a case of 30 1# prints, down significantly from last December. Highest I saw wholesale was @ $2.50#. And they expect us to make a profit with those prices! How about $57.00 for a case of 24 count Romaine lettuce!!!!!!!!

4. calicoskies

calicoskies

NC has Land o Lakes butter at $4.29/lb and store brand was $3.29. High, but I still buy it. We are not a margarine family. If it cant be real butter, we go without.

5. panini

panini

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    has not yet come down here. Still paying 2.56. 30# unsalted.1 pounders. using 4-10 a week, will have to have a price increase soon.

6. chefboy2160

chefboy2160

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    A case of 30 1# prints was $1.76 last week . Also the market had land o lakes at 2 for $3.00 as a special . Looks good for now as I prefer the real thing .

7. lwunderlich

lwunderlich

Butter prices will be going up and as ice cream season gets going, when cream will be used for ice cream rather than butter. So get prepared for a raise in price. It kinda' like gas, it tends to go higher during vacation time.

8. suzanne

suzanne

Exp:
    Food Editor
    When I worked at a company that manufactured puff pastry, they locked in a price with our main butter supplier (Harry Wils, out of Secaucus, NJ). Used to go through at least 60 cases a week, as I recall, so it was probably based on a minimum order. Is that a possibility for any of you? Since prices only seem to go UP.

9. chloe23

chloe23

I don't know if this topic is related, but I was watching the FoodTV network and they had a show about Normandy butter....anyone out there ever try it? Can you really taste the difference? Also, can I buy butter that's cheaper elsewhere besides going to the supermarket? If so, any idea where I can look? I find the supermarket prices for the butter to be really expensive for a small quantity. :mad:

10. marmalady

marmalady

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Chloe - Go to the Wegman's on Route 202 South in Bridgewater/Raritan; their store brand is $1.99 all the time!

I saw the piece on Normandy butter, too - my mouth watered as they were sitting there eating straight butter off a spoon! I used some French butter at Christmastime to make sables; don't know if it was 'Normandy', but the difference was astounding! The cookies absolutely melted in your mouth, and the butter taste was out of this world! At $5.00/lb. (at Wegman's - I LOVE that store!!), it's certainly not for everyday or bulk use, but what a treat for those special occasions!

11. crane

crane

I'm not sure all of the places that Trader Joes has expanded to yet, but they are in Indianapolis now. If I recall the price of a pound of Pelugra was 2.75 or maybe 2.95

12. peachcreek

peachcreek

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Pros- talk to your foodservice guys about European butter. A lot of times they carry it and don't even know because they never bothered to look it up! The Euro butter I was buying was cheaper than domestic for a time. It is a high butterfat butter and definately different to work with and especially different to bake with. Really really rrrrichhh. The Trader Joes' price is what I would pay for it, five bucks is too much!

13. jim berman

jim berman

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I agree with Crane... try to land some Plugra (or Kellers) from your mainliner. Peachcreek is absolutely right on.... often they carry it but don't know. Sysco, USFoods & Alliant/Atalntic all stock Plugra... just ask.

14. mudbug

mudbug

Exp:
    Culinary Instructor
    Since I learned how to do it, (with the help of cheftalk members...) I occasionally make my own butter from heavy cream using the KitchenAid. It's so easy and couldn't be more fresh! One quart of heavy cream at Wal-Mart is about $2.60 and it makes 2 cups of fresh butter.

Ummmmm, may have to go make some now! LOL!

:bounce:

15. chloe23

chloe23

marmalady - thanks for the info....I will check them out when I'm around that area :) Thanks again :)

16. slavegirl

slavegirl

are the butter instructions still in the archives anywhere? sounds fun!

SG

17. kimmie

kimmie

Get a large container of heavy whipping cream. Let it sit out at room temperature overnight or outside for a few hours.

Pour it into the KitchenAid bowl with the flat beater, not the dough hook. Start it on a medium low speed for 2-3 minutes, then turn it up to medium high. As soon as I hear it start to slosh, that means the milk is separating from the butter (instant homemade buttermilk!). So since I don't want is splashing all over the kitchen, I pour as much of the buttermilk out into a container for later use and continue on medium high speed until it's done separating. I again, pour the milk out and then take a spatula and put the butter in a container.

It is SO EASY! And it's such a joy to make.

I don't prefer to add salt but you can. If you do, keep in mind that if you taste it right after you add it, the butter will taste extremely salty. So let it marry for a few hours and it it will mellow out tremendously...

Enjoy!

P.S. I sure hope it's yours, Cchiu! :eek:

18. kimmie

kimmie

Some American butter makers are turning out richer butters, with more butterfat than the federal minimum of 80 percent. This is good news for serious home bakers because more fat means less moisture, making pastry easier to handle and yielding better results. Even in clarifying lower-moisture butter for cooking there is less residue to skim off.

Most of the butters here are labeled European-style or extra-creamy, and you will find them in supermarkets. Plugra, made by Keller's in Pennsylvania, has been available to professionals in one-pound blocks and is being sold in half pounds for home use. Plugra is 82 percent fat, and so is the new Horizon Organic European-Style. Land O Lakes Ultra-Creamy is 83 percent, and Organic Valley European Style is 84 percent. Horizon has the richest aroma but a slight greasiness. Land O Lakes is the mildest.

If you want even more butterfat, some fancy food shops carry Strauss Family Creamery Organic at 84 to 86 percent and Vermont Butter and Cheese at 86 percent. At 86 percent, those two are the densest made. The butters range from $2.89 to $3.79 for a half pound.

Source: NYTimes (May 1, 2002)

19. slavegirl

slavegirl

Woo, I am so excited! On the way home tonight I will stop and buy my cream, so I can make it tomorrow! I'll let you know how it is.....

SG

20. plum

plum

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    How did it go, SlaveGirl?

Plum.