Chef Forum banner

What are you listening to these days?

175K views 681 replies 171 participants last post by  epic99game 
#1 ·
I have been listening to Brad Mehldau quite a bit, Miles Davis - Sketches of Spain, Third Day, and of course tons of Christmas music.

#2 ·
I've been listening to quiet, pleasurable silence. Sometimes the cat purrs, breaking the silence for a few moments. (I read a lot and appreciate a bit of quiet)

I have been wondering where I can download songs. Tried Amazon, but you have to do them one by one and pay for each one each time. Can't select a block and then download and pay.

#641 ·
I've been listening to Eva Cassidy Songbird and
Ella Fitzgeralds Christmas recently. I also got some tickets today for Buddy Guy with Lonnie Brooks & Indigenous :)

enjoy the music!
dan
Eva rocks. Had a chance to see her at the Birchmere, but I decided to do something else that weekend; learned later that she passed away shortly thereafter. Definitely one of my regrets when it comes to music.

Have been listening to the artist LP for a bit....she's got one hell of a range. Puts on a good show as well.

#5 ·
Because of the new band I have not been listening to any "real" music :suprise::eek:
It's mostly dance stuff of the 70's, 80's, 90's now, etc. For the holiday parties of course it's holiday music. So it's all Nik and the Nice Guys show music. But it's fun to learn and play. Otherwise the only other thing non Nik related is Blue Oyster Cult "On your feet or on your knees" :bounce::beer: Rock on....

#7 ·
Very recently I have been playing the heck out of Alan Parsons Project's "Tales of Mystery and Imagination Edgar Allen Poe" I had it on album, but haven't had a record player in years so I was thrilled when I got the CD for Christmas. It is an absolutely brillant album. Of course, this time of year is Christmas music. Beyond that I am stilling listening to a lot of industrial and ebm music. For those of you not familiar, it's metal meets goth meets techno for the most part (a very simplified explanation). Right now I'm heavy into VNV Nation, Assemblage 23 and the standard Front 242 and KMFDM.

I really hate to limit myself though. I try and find something I like in most genres of music and you'll find a wide selection of musical tastes in my CD and mp3 collection.

#9 ·
alot of quiet or NPR.....funny, pulled out Miles Davis CD last week....had not played Sketches of Spain in a couple years.

Fine Young Cannabals, Van Morrison's Moondance, Melissa Etheridge your little secret, Dusty Springfield, Van Halen, Johnny Mathis, Nat King Cole, Tony Bennet, Frank Sinatra, CCR, Motown, DMB,CSNY.......eclectic....now if I ever get the stereo plugged in again it'd be Allen Parson's Project, loads of Jethro Tull, Possibly Fogelburg, Clash, Janis Joplin, Chicago, etc....1970's mainly.
:smoking::smiles:

Though the NPR classic picks were outstanding, I'm going to have to explore getting a couple of them.....hope they come in Cd's.

#11 ·
Now... see... I was being a good boy and not bringing up Styx. But, now you opened that box! Of course I am listening to Styx. Never stopped. I can't ever possibly turn my back on the official group of ChefTalk :)

Also listening to: the new Gilmour - Live in Gdansk, Rush - Live in Rio, Snakes and Arrows, Audioslave - Out of Exile.

#13 ·
official group of cheftalk? ummmmm......was that a silent part of the agreement? I need to reread that contract.:eek:

Rush, ELO.......well and then there's crunk:eek::smoking::p.....bypassed the German techno noise that eldest offspring was listening to and went straight to East Side STL crunk.

#17 ·
Pete;252732 said:
Very recently I have been playing the heck out of Alan Parsons Project's "Tales of Mystery and Imagination Edgar Allen Poe" It is an absolutely brillant album. quote]

Truly.
And the term "project" was never more appropriate.
He had something like 300 musicians for that album.
I'm going to have to play The System of Dr Tarr & Professor Fether now.

Lately I've been listening to Jeff Healey - Mess O' Blues, his last album before his untimely death, and his recent return to the blues (he'd been doing a lot of jazz).

#23 ·
he's around....

I've gone back to listen to Diane Rheams 12/31 show with Maya Angelou, my josh that woman is a national treasure. Inspirational. Krista Tippett's speaking of faith has a series right now on virtues that is also inspirational. Now to incorporate some of those virtues into everyday life.:)

#24 ·
These are all CD's I have either loaded in the home and van Disc Changer or have programed into the station presets (various themed channels) for the FM and XM radios......They are all listened to on a regular basis.:cool:

Styx, Boston, Rush, REO, Off Broadway, SRV, Triumph, Allman Bros, Molly Hatchet, ARS, Little Feat, Outlaws, Blackfoot, Foghat, Skynard, Fleetwood Mac, Toto, Genesis, Asia, Tom Petty, Led Zeppelin, Ted Nugent, Kansas, Foreigner, Beatles, Chicago, Cheap Trick, Billy Joel, Van Halen (or should I say Van Hagar), Montrose, Sammy Hagar,............ (lots more too. Too many to name). Then there's Better than Ezra, Foo Fighters, REM, STP, some Pearl Jam, Gin Blossoms, Green Day, etc....... Plus Elgin Wells, Frank, Deano, Sammy, Rosemary Clooney, etcc, etc, etc Benny Goodman etc, etc, etc so lets just say the Standards, 40's-50's jazz and swing. There is a little classical I have but I can't name anything off-hand that I listen too on a regular basis

#25 ·
I love Allan Parsons Project, and Dark Side Of The Moon (Allan Parsons produced it).

I listen to a lot of jazz, new stuff like Derek Trucks, Green Light, and Jeff Babko. I listen to Acoustic Alchemy a lot, some Yellowjackets, Weather Report,Spyro Gyra. . .

Sometimes I'm in the mood for classical--Chopin, Saint-Saens, Mozart.

Gino D'Auri plays some great Flamenco, his own compositions.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.