What are you doing with pumpkin this season?

Joined Oct 6, 2001
The title says it -

What has got your creative juices flowing?

I've done a pumpkin flan, pumpkin gingerbread, maple pumpkin quickbread and have considered putting pumpkin ginger pancakes on the menu.

Joined Jul 31, 2000
Sounds great Lynne!
I love to make a smooth pumkin soup and serve it in soup pumpkins with sauteed autumn Hen of the wood mushrooms.
Also maple pumkin muffins

Joined May 29, 1999
Pumpkins in paradise: Coconut crusted spiced pumkin custard tart with toasted macadamia nut strussel and vanilla bean anglaise.

Cobbler of poached pears, marinated bing cherries with cardamon, cinnamon and mace. served with lemon buttermilk ice cream and crisp honey tuile.

The kitchen smells sooooooooo good.

Joined Aug 11, 2000
MMMM hen of the woods are out now here....
Shaggy manes too.

Pumpkin cheesecake with praline topping
Pumpkin Risotto with pancetta
roasted pumpkin pie

Joined Aug 8, 2000
Yesterday at the catering company, we made about 1000 small pumpkin raviolis.
On site they will finish it w/ brown butter, fried sage, and seasoned crumbs.

Joined Aug 12, 2000
We like pumpkin fries. Peel and cut into french fry shapes. Fry at a lower temperature first, to dry them out some, then at a higher temperature to brown them. Serve with a ahaker of mixed kosher salt, turbinado sugar, a little citric acid, and spices. Or salt them and use a tangy dipping sauce, like a chutney.

[This message has been edited by Katherine (edited 10-29-2000).]

nicko

Founder of Cheftalk.com
Staff member
Joined Oct 5, 2001
I used to take baby pumpkins and hollow them out, fill them with a cinnamon and nutmeg creme brulee. It was fun for fall, and we would garnish the plate with Fall leaves and straw.

pete

Staff member
Joined Oct 7, 2001
We are roasting mini pumpkins then filling them with fettucine and a half lobster all tossed in a lobster-tarragon cream sauce.

Joined Aug 11, 2000
Nicko~ how did you cook the creme brulee in pumpkin?
My shroom group is doing a Winter Squash and Shroom dinner.....
Apple Martinis (blatanely taken from NYTimes)
pumpkin seeds spiced, root chips and dip
pumpkin soup with chanterelles
Butternut porcini risotto
Roasted pork with rosemary
Winter greens with cranberries, pecans vin. truffle honey drizzle
Sweet potato custard (potentially that creme brulee) and black walnut icebox cookies

[This message has been edited by shroomgirl (edited 10-30-2000).]

Joined May 29, 1999
When I have made them in the past I would hollow out the mini pumpkin with parisian scoop (mellon baller) and pour in a slightly cooked pumpkin brulee custard. Bake in greased hotel pan (so the little buggers don't rip on the bottom upon removal), cover loosely with foil or sheet pan to bake and add a tiny bit of water in the pan. Set into the oven at 350F and bake until set.If the pumpkins are thin skined, wrap in foil spray'd with pam.

Joined Aug 8, 2000
Shroomgirl, can I come? It all sounds so good!

[This message has been edited by cookM (edited 10-31-2000).]

Joined Aug 11, 2000
Sure $10 Nov 18 bring your own wine and place setting....I love this group of Fungi hunters they are wonderfully fun adventurers...most travel alot and to exciting places...hiking in Peru, Tuscany for truffles, India for a month, Galapogos...etc....Plus they share their finds with me!!!!!

nicko

Founder of Cheftalk.com
Staff member
Joined Oct 5, 2001
Shroom, if you look at Mbrown's post that is almost exactly how I did the mini pumkin creme brulee.

Joined Mar 13, 2001
Pete, no wonder you're a Moderator. Your dish and the mini pumpkins crème brûlée are both winners!

:p :lips:

Top Bottom