What are the perceived problems with starting a business selling HARD pies?

Discussion in 'Pastries & Baking' started by David Lawyer, Jul 23, 2019.

1. David Lawyer

David Lawyer

Exp:
    Always a student
    What challenges, issues, problems, road blocks do you see with starting a niche pie baking shop focused primarily on HARD or 'alcohol' infused pies? For example like Bourbon Peach Hand Pies? Tequila Lime Pie? etc etc?

2. Seoul Food

Seoul Food

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Well a lot of that depends on the product being sold and your state or local laws but my understanding was that alcohol in baked goods tends to cook off anyways so I don't see how it would be different that a savory dish using wine or spirits.

3. David Lawyer

David Lawyer

Exp:
    Always a student
    And that's what I thought. It's not like someone could get drunk on something like this. Most of it cooks off leaving that flavorful hint behind.... Was just curious because you don't see a whole lot of these kinds of pies sold in pie bakeries...

4. Seoul Food

Seoul Food

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    There may be a very good reason for that. I would do some market research and find out why and if this type of niche product is even sustainable.

On another note I forgot to add that I have seen places that deal with alcohol infused ice creams and they were not allowed to sell to minors, at least here in NY. Maybe because the alcohol is added after the fact in those cases? I'm not quite sure.