What are the best pastry jobs for single mothers of young children?

Joined Jun 8, 2020
I have a three year old and I’m in pastry school. Soon I will be looking to stage and intern somewhere. I’m not a single mother but I might as well be because my husband’s schedule is unpredictable and I can’t rely on him for childcare. I also don’t have family right now that can help out so my only option is extended care at my daughters school. I want to minimize the time she spends there. The best I can do is work 9:00-5:00 or 7:30-3:30. But I also want to get the best experience possible and work my way up to a position with a good income. I am considering hiring a nanny but I don’t really know what the best options are. I would like to work at a reputable restaurant but at this moment it doesn’t seem like a possibility. Maybe I can start at a bakery and transition to a restaurant when I have more flexibility?

Joined Sep 21, 2001
My first thought would be to try looking at someplace that does production baking, like a gourmet grocery store or a bakery. Someplace busy enough they need bakers and pastry people day and night. Also you get lots of practice doing large quantity production, which is always good to have. Sometimes places like that pay better and offer more benefits than a restaurant can.
My other piece of advice is to be building your work portfolio, be taking pictures of your work to show as part of a visual resume. Potential employers love seeing that.
Good luck!

Joined Jun 8, 2020
My first thought would be to try looking at someplace that does production baking, like a gourmet grocery store or a bakery. Someplace busy enough they need bakers and pastry people day and night. Also you get lots of practice doing large quantity production, which is always good to have. Sometimes places like that pay better and offer more benefits than a restaurant can.
My other piece of advice is to be building your work portfolio, be taking pictures of your work to show as part of a visual resume. Potential employers love seeing that.
Good luck!
Thanks for your advice!

Latest posts

Top Bottom