What are the best American dishes to make for Europeans?

Joined Mar 12, 2005
What are the best American dishes to make for Europeans (visiting the U.S. for the first time)?

Joined Nov 15, 2012
I'd say a nicely seared steak, but I think American steak houses already invaded Europe some years ago.

How about shake'n bake pork chops with a side of mac or American chop seuy?

Anything you'd make with dry onion soup mix.

Campbells soup chicken.

Oh just poke me and see if I'm done.

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
Steak, any of the barbcue Trinity of ribs, shoulder, brisket. Wings if they like heat. Seafood if your at a coast, lobster ,salmon.

Southern, Cajun, Southwest would be good too. Blackened fish, Prime rib, seafood boil

Joined Nov 15, 2012
In all seriousness I think they would find shake'n bake pork chops quite interesting, with good thick chops cooked to perfection. Or southern fried and gravy smothered if no cholesterol problems. I'd like to experience the latter in particular made from European mangalitsa pigs for some real heart attack effect.

Yes anything NOLA inspired

Lobsters with real claws are found in European places, but a crab boil and/or steamers would be a treat.

Yes pork or beef ribs and bbq in general. We get some great ribs from the Nordic folks because they don't eat ribs so instead sell them to us.

Rib-eye or a well marbled strip steak would be a simple and nice treat for them.

I don't think they get much Mexican in Europe, and that's pretty Americanized at this point. Perhaps take them out for that one.

Joined Jan 8, 2010
First question would be:
What country are they from?
Europe may not look big to Americans when you look at the map, but it's incredibly diverse
Plus most countries have a colonial past, which reflects in what's available in the country.
Hence Indian in the UK, Indonesian in the Netherlands, Vietnamese in France etc.

Besides that, my first suggestion (I am not American) would be BBQ, but make sure there are plenty of vegetables and sides.

Joined Jun 23, 2015
Country ham, sausage, biscuits made from lard and buttermilk, red eye gravy, sausage gravy (brown roux), fried eggs, homemade preserves, and cheese grits.

pete

Staff member
Joined Oct 7, 2001
I would look to any of the highly stylized regional cuisines, but as others have said, what country are they from? What is their exposure to other cuisines.

Joined Jan 4, 2011
"American Cuisine" for me are three(3) of my main dishes; Chicken-Fried Steak, Chicken and Waffles and Meatloaf. Along with that go the standard sides found in any American diner.

"We work in kitchens ... It ain'te rocket surgery.".

Joined Oct 9, 2008
Lobster and steak are things that cost a fortune in Europe but not so much here, depending where you are (here in New England, I'd do a 1.25# lobster each, with steamers, drawn butter, salad, and beer).

Joined Apr 3, 2008
This is interesting because here in Greece I’m often asked about American food. I tell them it is very diverse and regional and Greeks always say “I thought American food was just hot dogs and hamburgers.” I never really know how to answer.

Joined Aug 10, 2018
Thought of doing a clam bake? You can put so many different ingredients to make it your own. Just watched a video where the clam bake was done on a charcoal grill. Looked pretty tasty.

Joined Apr 11, 2018
This is a debate I've had with European acquaintances, what exactly is "American" food? Being a self-proclaimed "melting pot", though our food is diverse, much of it is cuisine brought here by immigrants then adopted to the local ingredients and environment.

Creole and Cajun is French cooking adopted to the locale, one key adaptation being the "trinity" of aromatics onion, celery, and bell pepper instead of onion, celery, and carrots...

The signature Southern chicken fried steak is a localization of wiener schnitzel from German immigrants...

It goes on, one brings up an example of American food and it is countered with an international origin to varying degrees. It's not like we have a bunch of Native American food restaurants with buffalo jerky on the menu. Then it can become an argument of how you define something as being sufficiently evolved to be considered original. And that debate's pretty subjective...

That said, we've had to entertain Western European colleagues a number of times and good ol' Texas BBQ has always hit the spot. They've got nothing like it at home.

Joined Jan 31, 2012
start with a lar'pin batch of good tree toppin breakfast vittles...
scrambled eggs with ketchup, home fried potatoes with bell peppers
and onions, a powerful stack of buttermilk flapjacks made with
bacon grease. Piles of crispy bacon of course, some small slabs of
baked ham, a mighty batch of country bisquits slathered in home
made sausage gravy, with impress've chunks of spicy sausage
floatin roundabout in it. Cinnamon raisn toast smeared up with
heaps of home made fig, apple, rasberry jams. Then bonnet up,
and head on out to yer beehive fer the best home grown honey ever,
smooshed generously on the remaining bisquits....

....like that.

Last edited:
Joined Jan 4, 2011
CLASSIC All-American food!! ... A heart-attack on a plate. I'll be making up some of that for Sunday breakfast.

Joined Jan 8, 2010
Again, I would like to know what country the Europeans come from, as breakfast is fairly light in a lot of European countries.
As far as I know it is only the UK/Ireland where they eat a fry-up breakfast!

Joined Feb 24, 2015
start with a lar'pin batch of good tree toppin breakfast vittles...
scrambled eggs with ketchup, home fried potatoes with bell peppers
and onions, a powerful stack of buttermilk flapjacks made with
bacon grease. Piles of crispy bacon of course, some small slabs of
baked ham, a mighty batch of country bisquits slathered in home
made sausage gravy, with impress've chunks of spicy sausage
floatin roundabout in it. Cinnamon raisn toast smeared up with
heaps of home made fig, apple, rasberry jams. Then bonnet up,
and head on out to yer beehive fer the best home grown honey ever,
smooshed generously on the remaining bisquits....

....like that.
When are you plating up - on the way :)

Top Bottom