What are some well known Asian comfort foods?

Joined Oct 6, 2021
So, I'm a college student. Im trying to compile comfort foods from around asia. If you are Asian or are very familiar with the culture, I would love to know what you think some comfort foods are along with the countries.
Thanks a ton!

Joined Oct 31, 2012
I'm quite sure there are many cookbooks about this topic.. A trip to the local bookstore would be a good start.

kuan

Staff member
Joined Jun 11, 2001
Go to Malaysia and you get everything Indian, Chinese, Malay, and the fusion of all three. Everything is comfort food there.

My favorites: Hainanese Chicken Rice, Char Kuay Teow, Bak Kut Teh, Chilli crabs, Dosa, Roti Prata, Nasi Padang, Fish head curry.

I love dim sum. Morning dumplings, all kinds, off the street in Shanghai, off the street in any city in east Asia. I love the tea on the train in India.

I love the "big wok" Hong Kong style restaurants where the menu is memorized by the servers.

I love Chinese Deli food. Duck, duck this, duck that... duck and more duck. :)

I also do a lot of this at home.

How to fold pot stickers by Heidi:

Joined Oct 9, 2008
In Japan, some of the dominant comfort foods are:
Curry Rice
Omu-raisu (omelet rice)
Neapolitan Spaghetti (yuck)
Yosenabe
Oden
Okonomiyaki
Oyako-don
I'm here figuring that "comfort food" means things kids almost universally like, that adults like too, and that harried housewives bang out on a regular basis.

Joined Nov 5, 2007

A serious ramen broth, as well as the pork and the egg toppings, take some time. But the 5 for a dollar, or whatever they cost these days, instant packets can be easily doctored up with fresh veggies, maybe a bit of ground meat, and a little imagination.

Practice cooking rice.

mjb.

Joined Jun 7, 2021
We can't get fresh ramen noodles at the grocers here. However, we can get unflavored ramen noodles that cook up quickly. A great ramen broth can involve time, just like a good Pho broth, but it doesn't have to. There is even a cold noodle and hot broth recipe very popular in Japan (Tsukemen) (, where the noodles are served cold, next to a bowl of piping hot broth. The noodles are dipped in the broth, giving you that hot/cold feeling in your mouth. he broth is over seasoned so that a quick dipping is all that's required to flavor the noodles. It is often made with green onion, garlic, pork belly, soy sauce, and chili bean paste, and sometimes miso. However, make it your own by adding sliced mushrooms, bamboo shoots, fish sauce, etc. Typically, again on the side, You would serve shrimp, fish cakes, sliced hard boiled egg, etc. I can see this dish coming together in 30 minutes, especially if you have a favorite broth, or stock already made.

Key to this dish is to not overcook the noodles, and immerse them in cold water as soon as they are done. The noodles are supposed to be like little springs, with a bit of chew to them.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Joined Nov 5, 2007
And Flo Lum and Souped Up Recipes on Youtube have some good stuff.

And I imagine pretty much everyone here has watched this before.

Eating ramen
mjb.

Joined Mar 1, 2017
A serious ramen broth, as well as the pork and the egg toppings, take some time. But the 5 for a dollar, or whatever they cost these days, instant packets can be easily doctored up with fresh veggies, maybe a bit of ground meat, and a little imagination.

Practice cooking rice.

mjb.
Yes they do. In some cases, up to 3 days. But, that's the fun. When I was in Japan, I was astonished at the time and meticulous approach ramen makers took in preparing their broths. Of course, like any other place, they have their quick versions. But, to taste a ramen that took several days to make is truly an experience that, IMO, transcends anything that we make here in the west, well, except for wine, of course ;-)

Cheers!

Joined Mar 1, 2017
I dunno. At least in Japan, ramen isn't really something you'd make yourself, unless we're talking instant. Kind of like sushi: something best left to professionals.
Ramen in Japan is made at home far more than you think. Of course, I agree with you that instant ramen is by far the most common. Nevertheless, ramen is still made from scratch or near scratch in many households just like there are plenty of households in America where pasta and sauce are still made from scratch although dried pasta and jarred sauce are far more common.

Either way, ramen is still a great comfort food regardless of how its made. :)

Cheers!

Latest posts

Top Bottom