What are some good vegatables for fajitas other than peppers and onions?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by abefroman, Oct 4, 2005.

1. abefroman

abefroman

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    What are some good vegatables for fajitas other than peppers and onions?

2. suzanne

suzanne

Exp:
    Food Editor
    Summer squash -- zucchini strips, yellow squash strips. You can grill or saute them.

Also "filleted" tomatoes -- blanch, peel, cut into quarters, cut off the inside flesh and gel with seeds, so that all you have left are the outside flesh "petals". A brush with oil and a very quick grill, because they can be quite delicate.

3. harpua

harpua

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Mushrooms
    Tempeh
    Potatoes
    you'd also be surprised but little bits of broccoli are pretty good.

4. someday

someday

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    don't forget corn

5. skilletlicker

skilletlicker

I like mushrooms. Some people just think of bell peppers. Poblano and anaheim peppers/chiles are good too.

6. skilletlicker

skilletlicker

I haven't done this yet, but next time I'll try a little sliced grilled pineapple or mango (not too ripe). I know these are fruits, not vegetables and therefore a little off topic. Thanks for the ideas, advice and experience from this forum.

7. chowderhead

chowderhead

My favorite new ingredient for all things of this nature, although I haven't tried them yet in Fajitas, is Jicama.
    Great grilled, in a stir fry, or added to a vegetable tray along with the usual carrots, celery, etc. My wife added some to potato salad and the flavor and texture was a nice touch. No one is quite sure what they are, but after tasting generally agree that they are darn good!

When selecting one at the market, I usually take it over to the deli, and have them cut it in half. Sometimes they've started getting brown spots inside if they've been out for a while, and you'll be able to tell right away if they're good, they'll be pure white beneath the skin.

Give them a try, I suspect you'll be pleasantly surprised.

8. peachcreek

peachcreek

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Eggplant.
    Garlic.
    Cucumber.
    Smoked tofu.
    Green beans.
    Any vegetable that can be marinated and grilled can end up in a fajita.

9. abefroman

abefroman

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Cucumber???

10. suzanne

suzanne

Exp:
    Food Editor
    Yes, cucumber: it's just another squash relative, after all.

Take the big, regular kind. Peel. Slice into long strips (skip the seedy part). Cook like squash. :lips:

(It makes a good side dish, too, if you cut it in half, scoop out the seeds, slice into half-moons, and saute in butter.)

11. macanudo1

macanudo1

My four sons are vegetarians, so, lots of vegetables are running in my kitchen.

I understand your concern about changing sweet peppers for other vegetables, certainly thinking about that lots of peppers in the Fajitas just make me sick.

Fry your Fajitas, put them at the side, stir fry very fast:parsley sticks, onion chunks and finely julienne carrots seasoning them in the way with some half tablespoon of sauce but...just make them almost raw so the vegetables will be crispy, toss super fast Fajitas with vegetables and serve. Just let me know...
    Sergio

12. macanudo1

macanudo1

My four sons are vegetarians, so, lots of vegetables are running in my kitchen.

I understand your concern about changing sweet peppers for other vegetables, certainly thinking about that lots of peppers in the Fajitas just make me sick.

Fry your Fajitas, put them at the side, stir fry very fast: parsley sticks, onion chunks and finely julienne carrots seasoning them in the way with some half tablespoon of sauce but...just make them almost raw so the vegetables will be crispy, toss super fast Fajitas with vegetables and serve. Just let me know...
    Sergio