What are odd foods you grew up on?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by pepper grind, Jun 8, 2015.

1. pepper grind

pepper grind

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I would love to hear about odd foods you grew up on. Is there something in your grocery basket that others ask you about or cringe at in disgust?

Does it embarrass you, or do you get a secret thrill in defending it almost to the point of bragging?

Last edited: Jun 8, 2015
  2. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    One of my favorite lifelong snacks and to this day is eating chips and chocolate. One bite of chocolate followed by 4 potato chips. Has something to do with sweet/salty and it's not something I can give up. I've been called weird about it.

I also like to turn my pasticchio upside down on my plate. I like the bechamel the best and the noodles the least so I eat the noodles first and save the bechamel for last. My mother has always hated this about me.

3. pete

pete Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I like to mash pasticchio all together!

4. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Now that's even more blasphemous!

5. laurenlulu

laurenlulu

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I'm gonna preface by saying I'm Cajun and we eat anything, squirrel, turtle, gator, snake, anything 😀 one of my favorites growing up was escargot stuffed with garlic butter breadcrumbs, so deliriously good! My favorite soup was crawfish bisque which kids eat with their hands because of the most incredible crawfish fat flavored stuffing in the heads. Will make your toes curl

6. pepper grind

pepper grind

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I don't know if you have them where you live, but we have chocolate covered chip wavy lays here! Lots of people are fans enough of the sweet/salty combination that they pretty much coat everything in something sweet. I think we have gone too far when we start putting ice cream on anchovies.

Regarding pasta, my family hates that I scrape the sauce off my lasagna and eat the layers separately.

7. pepper grind

pepper grind

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Does that require special tools?

8. pepper grind

pepper grind

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Brain food! Do you eat the eyeballs too? No witnesses that way... Just sayin'...

9. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I've never seen that here but I have had chocolate covered chips before. Oddly enough I don't like them together, I like alternating between the sweet and salty, not all at once.

10. pepper grind

pepper grind

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I think it's more interesting that you number the chips. Do you add an extra chip when you have a small one?

11. luc_h

luc_h

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Growing up and to this day I ate (almost) any veggy raw but did not always like them cooked:

unusual veggies were: parsnips, asparagus,potatoes, peas, yellow beans, sunchokes, ratabaga, rosehips.

also, I still enjoy eating the stem heart of romaine lettuce and celery.

also enjoy eating wild vine tendrils when hiking.

Luc H.

12. pepper grind

pepper grind

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Is a sunchoke similar to an artichoke? Never heard of it...

13. luc_h

luc_h

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Sunchoke aka Jerusalem artichoke, topinambour...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerusalem_artichoke

They grow wild in North Eastern America. Easy to grow in a garden.

Luc H.

14. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Haha I was just guessing at the number four. It's more or less a few chips. I eat enough chips so that there is no more overlap of sweet and salty on my palette. When all I can taste is salt I go back to a bite of chocolate. I was hoping to avoid explaining just how weird this is but you got me.

Indont eat it often and now it's different than I was a kid when Hershey's sufficed. Now I have more discerning taste in chocolate.

15. pepper grind

pepper grind

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    T
    Thanks for the link! I was curious enough that I had a search about it as well.

I'm really happy to see peas on your list too. When the English ones are in season, I'm the first in line. People watch me buy them by the case and say "oh, doing some freezing hey?" So I say "yeah," then hope I don't run into them again two days later when I'm buying more. Truth is I will pop those out of the shells raw until I get sick and go back for more!

16. pepper grind

pepper grind

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Nah... It would've only been weird if it HAD to be exactly 4 and you nibbled off the sides until they were exactly the same size. OCD eating intrigues me

17. canele

canele

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    I grew up with a pretty bland menu.  The "strangest" thing was braised ox tails.....  i loved them as a child and still love them now.  Though now i save the bones for stock!

Last edited: Jun 9, 2015
  18. laurenlulu

laurenlulu

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Now you've got me thinkin!

19. chicagoterry

chicagoterry

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Not exactly odd but my mother's family was Hungarian and I grew up thinking there was something wrong with food that didn't have a heavy dusting of paprika on it. Everything got the treatment, even though the tinned paprika available in grocery stores when I was a kid had virtually no flavor to speak of. I was well into adulthood before I realized that potato salad was not usually a pink food and it took even longer for me to look without suspicion at an un-dusted piece of white-fleshed fish. The paleness just seemed unhealthy to me.

Now, I rarely, rarely use paprika except for the smoked, Spanish variety.

20. pepper grind

pepper grind

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Oh, heck yes! Oxtail used to make me the most amazing soup and were stupidly cheap. It seems as though they have tripled in price. Same thing with pork hocks and turkey necks.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2015