Chef Forum banner

What are making for Easter?

2K views 21 replies 13 participants last post by  EdwardParkernl 
#1 ·
I'm doing my "traditional" Greek Easter dinner - lamb, spanakopitta, string beans. How 'bout you?

#3 ·
..if we can get one... prime rib, yorkshire pudding & gratin savoyard

My apologies for the long-winded home dinner recipe...

Roast Beef (high temp method)
Remove roast from fridge & let rest at room temp a few hours before roasting
Preheat oven to 450F
Wash, dry & rub meat with S&P & coat with softened butter. (I use Hy's seasoned salt)
Line pan edges with foil "walls" to prevent oven from getting messed up.
Cook meat 25 minutes** @450F , then turn heat down to 300F.
** at 20 minute mark, add 1-2 chopped shallots & continue cooking to the 25 min mark then add ½ C good red wine (again, lowering the heat to 300F)
Try not to leave the oven door open too long!
Baste occasionally with it's own drippings and with (1-2 cups prepared Beef Bovril) broth & collect a bit of fat for Yorkshire Puddings!
Insert thermometer & cook until 140F for medium rare (I take it out sooner ~130 to135F for rare)
Cover with foil/parchment/tea towel & let rest while making Yorkshires.
Use strained beef juices/drippings added to the Bovril broth & microwaved for Au Jus on the side
-Crank up the oven now to 450F for the Yorkshires
Yorkshire Pudding - makes ~6 large "puddings"
1 ¼ - 1 ½ C milk
¾ tsp salt
2 eggs
1 Tbs melted butter
1 C flour
Mix milk, salt, eggs & melted butter in a blender -may sit for up to 2 hrs
Grease muffin/popover tin (with lard/shortening) & pour in ~1/4 -1/2 tsp of the cooled beef fat/drippings in each cup.
Add flour & blend just before pouring into muffin/popover pans
Add batter evenly to each muffin cup.
Bake at 450 for 5-10 mins, then lower to ~425 until done ~20 mins, depending on muffin tin size ( I like to use the HUGE 6 muffin size)
Gratin Savoyard (can be prepared well ahead of the mains)
Potatoes - Russet, peeled, sliced & soaked in water(optional)
Butter
Flour
Beef stock
Swiss cheese (or similar)
One clove garlic
Butter a baking dish, then rub the inside with the clove of crushed garlic.
Layer the drained potatoes with a dusting of flour.
Half way through, add a layer of Swiss cheese, pepper & a few specks of butter
Top with Swiss cheese, pepper & specks of butter.
Add boiling beef broth to ~1/3 height of potatoes (not too much!!)
Microwave for a minute or 2 & place in a ~350F oven for 45 -60 mins. or so until done and cheese is melted/browned.
Can be done ahead of the roast, just cover while resting & heat in microwave/oven before serving

/end bloat-ous recipes

#8 ·
String beans are not traditional as they are commonly eaten during lent. Greek Easter centers around eating all the foods that we’re given up during lent, primarily cheese and meat.

I’ve not yet been given my food assignment for Easter, ours is next Sunday.

#9 ·
Ham, scalloped potato, cheese soufflé casserole (a very delicious cheat on the real thing), green beans in mustard sauce, shredded carrot salad with lemon-Dijon vinaigrette, popovers, cheesecake with mixed berry coulis.

Before that... assorted cheese plate and open bar: Revolvers, martinis, Manhattans, Negronis, JD&Coke, Cuba Libre...

#10 ·
@drirene - this is Mrs. Hank. Thanks for the post! I am making Italian Easter bread too, and I haven't seen it before, since you get something very different when you google "Easter bread". A recipe from my great-aunt. Like yours, basically bread stuffed with cheeses and Italian sausage. Eaten cold. And awesome for breakfast on Monday. :)

#11 ·
I souse vide the *lamb and it was delicious, the spanakopita was delicious and traditional, or not the fasolakia was delicious. Everybody dug right in. Luckily I have enough for leftovers one time. Unfortunately no desert for me the German chocolate style cake someone brought had nut cross contamination in it. This also mean I'll never enjoy baklava again. :(

*140F for 22hrs. then a hot sear to crisp up the outside.

#14 ·
We ended up hosting what started as a small dinner at a friend's and the guest list grew. Roast lamb, asparagus lasagna, Italian easter bread, roasted carrots and ricotta cheese cake with lemon curd. I made the last two .

#19 ·
Soy and corn are 2 things folks with sensitivities can do without. As I understand the Chinese did not start eating soy till quite recently (in terms of their history). But they always denature the bean considerably first, whether sprouting, fermenting, etc. You should never eat plain raw soy beans.

You can make plastic out of soy beans, it was one of the first flexible plastics, and oil of course, and the famous African American chemist George Washington Carver developed literally dozens of products from it, including the first soy-based plastic, so I guess you could make a cheap anti-corrosion coating of it too. That would be a natural for the Chinese, where your steel very possibly came from.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.