What are making for Easter?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by mike9, Apr 20, 2019.

1. mike9

mike9

Exp:
    Former Chef
    I'm doing my "traditional" Greek Easter dinner - lamb, spanakopitta, string beans. How 'bout you?

2. sgsvirgil

sgsvirgil

Exp:
    Retired Owner/Operator
    Reservations.... ;-)

drirene and Mischief like this.
  3. Transglutaminase

Transglutaminase

Exp:
    Professional Bum
    ..if we can get one... prime rib, yorkshire pudding & gratin savoyard

My apologies for the long-winded home dinner recipe...

Roast Beef (high temp method)
    Remove roast from fridge & let rest at room temp a few hours before roasting
    Preheat oven to 450F
    Wash, dry & rub meat with S&P & coat with softened butter. (I use Hy’s seasoned salt)
    Line pan edges with foil “walls” to prevent oven from getting messed up.
    Cook meat 25 minutes** @450F , then turn heat down to 300F.
    ** at 20 minute mark, add 1-2 chopped shallots & continue cooking to the 25 min mark then add ½ C good red wine (again, lowering the heat to 300F)
    Try not to leave the oven door open too long!
    Baste occasionally with it’s own drippings and with (1-2 cups prepared Beef Bovril) broth & collect a bit of fat for Yorkshire Puddings!
    Insert thermometer & cook until 140F for medium rare (I take it out sooner ~130 to135F for rare)
    Cover with foil/parchment/tea towel & let rest while making Yorkshires.
    Use strained beef juices/drippings added to the Bovril broth & microwaved for Au Jus on the side
    -Crank up the oven now to 450F for the Yorkshires
    Yorkshire Pudding – makes ~6 large “puddings”
    1 ¼ - 1 ½ C milk
    ¾ tsp salt
    2 eggs
    1 Tbs melted butter
    1 C flour
    Mix milk, salt, eggs & melted butter in a blender -may sit for up to 2 hrs
    Grease muffin/popover tin (with lard/shortening) & pour in ~1/4 -1/2 tsp of the cooled beef fat/drippings in each cup.
    Add flour & blend just before pouring into muffin/popover pans
    Add batter evenly to each muffin cup.
    Bake at 450 for 5-10 mins, then lower to ~425 until done ~20 mins, depending on muffin tin size ( I like to use the HUGE 6 muffin size)
    Gratin Savoyard (can be prepared well ahead of the mains)
    Potatoes – Russet, peeled, sliced & soaked in water(optional)
    Butter
    Flour
    Beef stock
    Swiss cheese (or similar)
    One clove garlic
    Butter a baking dish, then rub the inside with the clove of crushed garlic.
    Layer the drained potatoes with a dusting of flour.
    Half way through, add a layer of Swiss cheese, pepper & a few specks of butter
    Top with Swiss cheese, pepper & specks of butter.
    Add boiling beef broth to ~1/3 height of potatoes (not too much!!)
    Microwave for a minute or 2 & place in a ~350F oven for 45 -60 mins. or so until done and cheese is melted/browned.
    Can be done ahead of the roast, just cover while resting & heat in microwave/oven before serving

/end bloat-ous recipes

Emojitsu likes this.
  4. chefross

chefross

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Dearborn (Michigan) ham, scalloped potatoes, green beans with caramelized onions, and cheesecake with strawberries.

5. Mischief

Mischief

Exp:
    Executive Chef
    Easter Bunny Back Ribs. :-D

sgsvirgil likes this.
  6. drirene

drirene

Exp:
    At home wannabe pastry chef
    Italian Easter Bread, recipe from hubby's mom. Basically a pizza dough filled with mozzarella, eggs, ham, grilled red pepper, and provolone.
    I like the reservations idea better.

7. rick alan

rick alan

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    @drirene, speaking of a dough, cheese and red pepper combo, the absolute best "Italian" sandwich I every had was a calzone of layered ham (mostly) and provolone with pickled hot red peppers strategically placed between the ham and cheese layers. The combination created a wonderful sauce.

8. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    String beans are not traditional as they are commonly eaten during lent. Greek Easter centers around eating all the foods that we’re given up during lent, primarily cheese and meat.

I’ve not yet been given my food assignment for Easter, ours is next Sunday.

9. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Ham, scalloped potato, cheese soufflé casserole (a very delicious cheat on the real thing), green beans in mustard sauce, shredded carrot salad with lemon-Dijon vinaigrette, popovers, cheesecake with mixed berry coulis.

Before that... assorted cheese plate and open bar: Revolvers, martinis, Manhattans, Negronis, JD&Coke, Cuba Libre...

10. hank

hank

Exp:
    Home Cook
    @drirene - this is Mrs. Hank. Thanks for the post! I am making Italian Easter bread too, and I haven't seen it before, since you get something very different when you google "Easter bread". A recipe from my great-aunt. Like yours, basically bread stuffed with cheeses and Italian sausage. Eaten cold. And awesome for breakfast on Monday. :)

11. mike9

mike9

Exp:
    Former Chef
    I souse vide the *lamb and it was delicious, the spanakopita was delicious and traditional, or not the fasolakia was delicious. Everybody dug right in. Luckily I have enough for leftovers one time. Unfortunately no desert for me the German chocolate style cake someone brought had nut cross contamination in it. This also mean I'll never enjoy baklava again. :(

*140F for 22hrs. then a hot sear to crisp up the outside.

12. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    artichokes with garlic lemon butter

mike9 likes this.
  13. fatcook

fatcook

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Tacos! And they were good :)

brianshaw likes this.
  14. hank

hank

Exp:
    Home Cook
    We ended up hosting what started as a small dinner at a friend's and the guest list grew. Roast lamb, asparagus lasagna, Italian easter bread, roasted carrots and ricotta cheese cake with lemon curd. I made the last two .

15. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Sweet! Traditional or not green beans are always a favorite of mine. What's going on with nuts? Spontaneous allergy?

16. mike9

mike9

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Not spontaneous - last January I got a rash, a bad one. I was cutting a lot of steel box tubing and it comes coated with this nasty oil. My hands got abraded and it got under my skin - in my blood. Fast forward to now - after getting no help from dermatology I was paying attention to what I was eating and it was looking like nuts were the culprit, but now I'm thinking soy because the nuts that were bothering me are processed with soy. The whole wheat bread I was eating has . . . soy. I'm trying to get the SDS sheets from the steel supplier, but they are being cagey. Anyway if I can't sort this out 100% I'll see an allergist when we get back from Florida.

I tried gluten free, this free, that free, but somewhere along the line I started putting two and two together keeping notes on when I had an outbreak and what I ate, or drank. Allergens are ubiquitous in our food supply as you well know. So what are you making for Easter?

17. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Trying to find the culprit is excruciating work, I wish you the best!
    For Easter I have been assigned potato salad.

18. mike9

mike9

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Yeah I just had some old school in the shell peanuts . . . self diagnosis is a rough way to go, but I'm a good detective and need to sus this out.

Potato salad?? - Dayamn girl you drew a long straw . . . enjoy!!!

19. rick alan

rick alan

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Soy and corn are 2 things folks with sensitivities can do without. As I understand the Chinese did not start eating soy till quite recently (in terms of their history). But they always denature the bean considerably first, whether sprouting, fermenting, etc. You should never eat plain raw soy beans.

You can make plastic out of soy beans, it was one of the first flexible plastics, and oil of course, and the famous African American chemist George Washington Carver developed literally dozens of products from it, including the first soy-based plastic, so I guess you could make a cheap anti-corrosion coating of it too. That would be a natural for the Chinese, where your steel very possibly came from.

20. rick alan

rick alan

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Oops, creative memory, Carver worked with peanuts, not soy beans.