What a good way to braise cabbage?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by abefroman, May 2, 2014.

1. abefroman

abefroman

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    What a good way to braise cabbage?

TIA

2. chicagoterry

chicagoterry

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Last edited: May 2, 2014
    abefroman likes this.
  3. abefroman

abefroman

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Great link, thanks Terry!

4. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    What?  No bacon?

5. genemachine

genemachine

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Bavarian style would be to fry some bacon and onion, add the cabbage and braise it with some broth  Season with salt, pepper and caraway seeds. One can add some cream or preferably sour cream.

6. pete

pete Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I guess the "best way to braise cabbage" would depend on what you wanted from the final product.  Are you doing red or white cabbage?  The way above is a great, classic way of braising it, but there are others that I've used depending on what I wanted the end product to be.  One of my favorites is sauté some onion, add green cabbage, sauté a few minutes longer then deglaze with hard cider.  When the cabbage is half way done add some diced apple and finish with some cream and just a very small amount of caraway.  Don't get over zealous with the caraway or it will take over the flavor though.

I usually give red cabbage a "sweet and sour" treatment, although not all the time, and will vary it up by using different liquids (from wine to vinegar to fruit juices) and sweeteners (white sugar, brown sugar, honey, etc.)  I also occasionally do the same with green cabbage.

7. mtullius

mtullius

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    That's the first thing I thought! I like the same variations Pete suggested. Plus lots of cracked pepper. But I'm happy with cabbage any old way. Someday I'm going to make whole head sauerkraut or kimchee and make cabbage rolls with it,

8. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    I braised some cabbage yesterday: first slowly fried some hunter bacon along with a generous sprig of thyme and a small bay leaf, removed most of the rendered fat, then added sliced onions, then cabbage, and juniper berries, a good cup of dry white wine, covered for about 45mn and added potatoes (large dice) about halfway through. It was delicious! Oh and lots of cracked black pepper too of course. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif

9. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I could eat a bite or two of that cabbage.