Wendy's Dave Thomas dies...

Discussion in 'The Late Night Cafe (off-topic)' started by bevreview steve, Jan 9, 2002.

1. bevreview steve

bevreview steve

Exp:
    Beverage Expert
    Quite a bummer, I always enjoyed watching his commericals. Now I have a taste for a Frosty or something...

Click here for full story

2. nancya

nancya

I heard this last night too. I thought it was sad. I enjoyed his commercials - and the shows that showed just how bad he was at saying his lines. He had a sense of humor about himself.

Also, I always thought that Wendy's was pretty innovative for a fast food restaurant. Salads, Potatoes, low-fat choices and pretty good chili!

Farewell, Dave.

3. coolj

coolj

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I heard yesterday on the morning news. I was saddened, because in a way Dave Thomas was one of my heroes in the restaurant world. I thought it was really fitting what one of the Wendy's locations did here, on their Marquis, they put up this sign : Our Friend, Our Founder, we Love you Dave !.

4. chrose

chrose

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I'll try to not feel sorry for myself here. That makes 2 of my inspirations that have passed. Jean Louis Palladin and now Big Dave. If you ever have a chance to read about him or see his story on Biography I urge you to do so. Putting aside food for a second his story is inspirational in so far as his business accumen and drive and dedication. Anyone here who owns a business could really learn a good lesson from Dave.
    Bless you Dave for all you've done for business and bringing focus onto orpahns, thanks for everything.:cry:

5. chiffonade

chiffonade

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Was anyone else as bummed out as I was? No, really... For some reason I took this like a major movie star or worse, a major food personality had died!

I got so incredibly moved, I e-mailed Wendy's. Not easy, as their home page did not have an e-mail addy. I called the number and got one from a very nice representative. I then sent this message:

I can't tell you how it broke my heart to hear of Dave Thomas' passing. Even though he represented a huge company, he seemed very down to earth - like someone who could have lived next door.

When I told my daughter that he passed, she exclaimed, "Nobody ever gave him his lunch!" She was referring to the ads where he's racing a car and the other drivers are eating his lunch. I told her "Dave Thomas was a good man who did a lot for adopted people and others. I'm sure he will go straight to heaven where he will be served his lunch."

Again, our condolences to the Wendy's family, both blood and corporate.

Sincerely...

She replied as follows:

Thank you very much for your letter. It is consumers such as you whom Mr. Thomas loved to serve. I have forwarded your letter to the Thomas family, whom all are very grateful. Again, we all appreciate your sympathies and value you as customers. Take care.

I know we only see what ad agencies want us to see...But in my gut, I think he really wasa nice guy.

6. nancya

nancya

How beautifully written, Chiffonade. Thank you so much for sharing this. From everything I've ever heard, I agree with you. I think he was probably a really nice person.

7. peachcreek

peachcreek

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Mentioned on the NBC nightly news- Wendy's Restaurants were at double the usual sales last week. They attributed it to the outpouring of sympathy to the death of Dave Thomas.
    He did what he loved and we loved what he did. He is off to market in a better place, and we are left with the question still-"Wheres the Beef?"

8. coolj

coolj

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    That was really nice Chiffonade !!. One thing I'll always remember, from watching his biography, was his motto that food has to consistently taste good from the first bite right thru to the last bite.

9. chrose

chrose

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Like I said I would urge you to read his book. It's a great story on a self made man. He is a real person, with the same foibles as the rest of us. But he had a big heart and a warm smile.
    It won't be quite the same without him either. Is that the measure of a person after they're gone? The feelings that come out. If so, he measured up grandly.