Welsh Cuisine

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by athenaeus, Sep 6, 2003.

1. athenaeus

athenaeus

Exp:
    At home cook
    Hello foodies after quite some time :)

I have been reading lately about Wales. The History of the area is fascinating indeed BUT the image without some information about the kitchen of an area is incomplete, in fact, it doesn't exist :)

What do you know about the kitchen of Wales?

There is bara brith the famous cake or is it a bread? Kyle do you have any info about that?

A friend mentioned Merlin smoaked goat cheese. I know we have many cheese experts here. Do you have any info about it?

So, is there a typical Welsh dish? :)

A.

2. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    So good to see you again, Athenaeus!! :bounce:

I visited Wales some years ago. In the restaurants I visited, the food was generic British of its day: ham croquettes, tinned peas, etc. Not very interesting. However, leeks are beloved in Wales- in fact, they were tucked into hats of Welsh fighters in times of war- and so are part of some dishes. I recall pork and Welsh beef were on menus. I also enjoyed Caerphilly cheese in that city.

I found this site which has some interesting reading. But I'd also like to hear from those who've really eaten the cuisine themselves. Any of you out there?

3. compassrose

compassrose

Leeks, of course. National symbol! (They're even on the Welsh version of the pound coin... each region/country of the UK has its own pound coin.)

4. athenaeus

athenaeus

Exp:
    At home cook
    Oh yes leeks, I forgot about them :)

Hi Mez, it's nice to see you too, I missed everybody :)

5. jock

jock

Exp:
    At home cook
    I'm not sure Wales has a "cuisine" per se. As Mezz said, it is pretty much generic British cooking. There may be some dishes unique to some regions but I can't think of any off hand.
    There is a dish called Welsh Rarebit (often mispronounced Welch Rabbit.) If memory serves it is a poached egg on a slice of toast and covered with a cheese sauce. I'm not even sure whether it actually originated in Wales or not.
    As stated before, leeks are the national symbol of Wales (as the thistle is to Scotland, the rose to England and the shamrock to Ireland.)

Jock

6. athenaeus

athenaeus

Exp:
    At home cook
    Is this a compliment for Welsh cuisine? :D :p

7. jock

jock

Exp:
    At home cook
    LOL :D :D :D

Jock

8. mike

mike

Wales is just up the road from here & is distinctly different in the North than the South which is less rural & more cosmopolitan.
    Foodwise like most of Britain relies on regional dishes as does everywhere else.
    The Welsh are notoriously fierce & red headed people who terrified the Romans & continue to scare us English to this day !

History 101 over ,

The cake you mention is like a cross between a teacake & christmas cake full of fruit & often served with welsh black treacle

The welsh rarebit is a bit more than cheese on toast, its a mixture made from beer, egg yolks, tobasco & cheese & milk, mixed to a spreading gloop over bread toasted one side first, under the grill it souflees & if you put a poached egg on top its called a buck rarebit.

The Welsh produce some fantastic cheese & the salt marsh fed lamb is among the finest in the world. Cockles & shellfish & laverbread(seaweed) is famous too.

There are some real hidden gems in traditional British cookery although you very rarely fond them in any pub or restaurant & instead have to have a good reference book or patient granny to show you those things that are rapidly being lost to a more instant way of life.

9. jock

jock

Exp:
    At home cook
    Years ago the was a cooking show on British TV called Farmhouse Cooking or something like that. Hosted by dorothy Sleightmore I think. I was living here at the time and I didn't actually see it myself. However, on one of my visits home I picked up the cookbook that went with the series. (Mike, you may remember it.)
    I don't use that book nearly enough. it is full of old time recipes that probably don't appear in print anywhere else. Many were submitted by women who had them handed down from one generation to the next. I'm probably sitting on a gem and don't know it.

Jock

10. athenaeus

athenaeus

Exp:
    At home cook
    This is from a Welsh friend...

It seems out of context because it's a part of an e-mail.

11. mike

mike

not an authentic rarebit but sounds very nice indeed.

12. athenaeus

athenaeus

Exp:
    At home cook
    Not an authentic recipe?

Awww! He will be in trouble....

:p

13. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I agree, Olive oil ?!?! Only butter should be used.Olive oil is not indiginous to the Welsh.

14. athenaeus

athenaeus

Exp:
    At home cook
    Ahhhh Maybe my friend suggested olive-oil because he knows my passion for it :)

15. mike

mike

Either way is fine with me ,watcing football,munching rarebit & cold beer............Except my rarebit also has beer in it ! LOL

:rolleyes:

16. athenaeus

athenaeus

Exp:
    At home cook
    This sounds as the horror of the Welsh wife, Mike :D

What do you mean that your rarebit has beer in it?

17. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Yes! The recipes I've seen include beer or even stout. When I first read the recipe long ago, I thought of cheese fondue. Good food is good food, whether in Wales or Switzerland.

18. mike

mike

Spot on Mezz,
    Athenaeus see method in beginining of this thread...try it....enjoy.

19. chefboy2160

chefboy2160

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Now Mike , of course when you speak of watching football I know that you must be talking about the real mans game of football as played in the U.S.A. and not that little girls game called football in other parts of the world . As far as Rarebit and beer :confused:
    Dude , ya need to cross the ocean and spend a monday night at a local sports pub watching real men playing real football and eating something a little more appropriate for the occasion .
    So , as we say here in America ,
    "are ya ready for some football " . Well are you ______ ( Clint Eastwood ) ? :D Doug.............................................. ...........

20. jock

jock

Exp:
    At home cook
    So Doug, when you say "football" do you mean the one where the guys hide behind all that padding or the one real men play with no protection?

And what's wrong with a civilized snack when watching real football?

Why is it called "football" in the US anyway. Players hardly ever kick the ball.

:D :D :D

Jock