Wellsley Farms Sweet Bourbon Marinade

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by dagger, Aug 11, 2017.

1. dagger

dagger

Exp:
    Can't boil water
    Bought a bottle of this in bjs today and i must say I'm not sure if i really know how to marinade right. Some times it seams to do nothing and others makes a difference. Tried my foodsaver marinader once but wasn't impressed with out come. I have injected bbq sauce into a whole chicken that worked some time. Do you just dump the meat into a bowel of this, do you inject into the meat or just brush on and let sit? Do you cover or let the air while resting? I guess the teach this in chef school the right way.

2. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Marinades have very low penetration. 1/4 inch is pretty much the max. Unless you're working with a thin product, skip marination.

Brining on the other hand does penetrate deeper, but doesn't carry other flavors with it so much.

Injection I've had pretty good results with, but you need to strain out the solids so the needle doesn't clog which limits the impact some.

Commercial marinades are expensive sugar/salt water in my very jaded opinion.

flipflopgirl likes this.
  3. flipflopgirl

flipflopgirl

Exp:
    Retired Hospitality
    Intrigued by the name so I did a short search but couldn't find a good description nor complete list of ingredients but 18-20 dollars is a lot to pay for a marinade IMO...the Wellsley Farms peeps must be laughing their way to the bank.
    Depending on which method of cooking (roasting or grilling work best IMO) just baste with the marinade during the last 10 min or so instead of trying to gain flavor by letting it sit in it.
    Suspect there is quite a lot of sugar in it so the worst that can happen is a bit of burning on the edges.

mimi

4. dagger

dagger

Exp:
    Can't boil water
    It was new so for $5+ figured i would give it a try, not sure were you got $18 to $20 from. It contains: soy sauce(water,soybeans,salt,sugar),water,cane sugar,molasses,corn syrup :(,bourbon,spices,dry garlic&onion,lemon juice,xanthan gum. Why does it need gum? Liquid doesn't need textures. 1 tbs has 4g sugar, 5g carbs, 430mg sodium, 50 servings per 30oz. Bottle. Calories 25, fat 0. Says ALL NATURAL SWEET BOURBON MARINADE PERFECT FOR STEAK TIPS OR PORK.

Is soybeans use in soy sauce

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
  5. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Yes, soy sauce is fermented soybeans and often wheat. Tamari is a variant without wheat. In your ingredient list it looks like they used sugar to feed the ferment rather than wheat. It was likely hydrolyzed rather than truly fermented. Cheaper and faster.

6. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef
    The xantham gum is for emulsification.

And last I knew, soybean was fermented for soy sauce.

7. flipflopgirl

flipflopgirl

Exp:
    Retired Hospitality
    Price came from Amazon.

mimi

8. scott livesey

scott livesey

Exp:
    At home cook
    get a thin cut of meat, put in freezer bag, add enough marinade to cover, put in refrigerator at least overnight better if 24 to 36 hours. I make my own marinades usually based on fruit juice or wine. after reading labels closely, I stay away from ready made marinade as most are just very expensive sugar/salt water.

9. flipflopgirl

flipflopgirl

Exp:
    Retired Hospitality
    My point exactly.
    mimi

10. dagger

dagger

Exp:
    Can't boil water
    Yeah people ask some crazy markups on amazon but places like bjs, sams and costco aren't everywere. They had a few new flavors and for $5.49 why not try it. Does the amount of sugar or sodium cook out of the meat, leave in juices?

11. scott livesey

scott livesey

Exp:
    At home cook
    after marinading overnight, measure how much is left, the rest is in the meat. I used to marinade a lot when feeding 3 teenagers and chuck roast was cheaper than sirloin. used marinade with pineapple and/or orange juice and soy, the juice helped tenderize. now, i cook for 2 and sirloin on sale is cheaper than chuck. are you grilling the meat? if so, adding wood chips to the charcoal can add a whole new range of flavor.
    I remember as a teenager, a family friend listing what goes into his marinade and how it marinaded for several days. my dad commented with that marinade and the amount of time, an old boot would be tender and tasty.

flipflopgirl likes this.
  12. dagger

dagger

Exp:
    Can't boil water
    I haven't cooked with charcoal for over 20 years. The mess was just to much so got a gas grill which i haven't used in 10 year, to hot. My weapon of choice is now a air fryer 5.3 qt model, love it. I have a foodsaver marinating canister that supposed to open the pours and let it in, does but the 1 time use it didn't really taste it. My farberware injector broke today, plastic, so bought stainless off amazon and im sure it will last.

13. dagger

dagger

Exp:
    Can't boil water
    I forget but bought a deni meat tenderizer off amazon years ago, would poking holes help marinating