We had our big Christmas dinner this evening, basically a rehash of Thanksgiving. The Thanksgiving turkey turned out great, today's had some trouble. I started the bird at 500F, the cavity lightly stuffed with some oranges, a lemon, garlic cloves, sage and, wait a minute, I didn't put the rosemary in. No big deal. After 30 minutes I took the bird out, turned the oven down to 350 and inserted the temp probe, covered the breast with foil to keep it from getting too brown. A couple - maybe three hours later the probe was saying the bird had already hit 160. Neat, I thought, that 500 degree start cut down on the cooking time. I pulled it out, covered it and let it rest, went about finishing up the rest. Went to carve the turkey, starting with cutting off a leg quarter. It was RAW under there. I don't mean just a little bit rare. Anyway, I removed the leg quarters and one side of the breast, stuck them back in the oven for about an hour while we ate everything else. Folks loved the stuffing with the maple and sage sausage, thought the yellow corn kernels with the red and green bell pepper looked festive and was quite tasty. Eventuall enough of the turkey was cooked to the point where it could be eaten. Tasted great. And a couple other things. The rolls I did took quite a bit longer than I thought to bake to a good color, and they turned out a little oddly textured. And at one point I put a frozen pumpkin pie ( we made a pecan from scrath the night before, got lazy with the pumpkin ) in the oven. It should have been done in an hour and 15 minutes or so. A little over two hours later it looked about ready. The turkey I thought was just a case of a badly placed probe, but the pie and the rolls have me thinking I need to do some serious checking on what the oven says it is doing and what is actually happening in there. In spite of the problems, no one left hungry, they all enjoyed the food, when it finally did arrive in front of them. That part was good. mjb.