Well I Finally Did It...

Discussion in 'General Culinary School Discussions' started by sacrelicious, Jan 12, 2011.

1. sacrelicious

sacrelicious

Exp:
    Culinary Student
    The ideas been around in my head for a while and I finally applied to George Brown for September, woo!

What actually compelled me to finally do it was spending 5 or 6 months working as a cook, as strange as it is to say I didnt mind the 12 hour days, nor did I mind the days when someone called in sick and a cruise ship just happened to unload 3000 tourists with full wallets at the front of our street, sure it was exhausting but there was a strange kind of excitement to it all and I was really able to put myself into my work and create something I was proud of, even if resources were somewhat limited. This was not my first job working with food, I had done prep prior to this, but my first time actually making it fresh to order.

Now, enough of that - my question is that if accepted, I have 5 or so months to prepare prior to moving to Toronto to attend, I want to know what all of you can reccomend in terms of preparation, things I can do so I dont walk into the school completely oblivious, educating myself in advance so to speak in order to set me a bit above those around me, I've heard it said here that this is a highly competitive setting and would like to give myself a leg up as much as possible. Secondly, what can I expect once I am there? I have never known anyone who attended a culinary school, and have no idea what I'm in for.

Thank you in advance, look forward to chatting with you all on these forums.

2. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    The best thing you can do is to get a job in a kitchen.  Any kitchen, doing anything.  Yep.  It counts.  :)

Good luck!