Weird requests from diners

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by shichangchu, Jan 23, 2011.

1. piratechefny

piratechefny

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Had a woman arrive for the week for a Jungian conference.... claimed she was allergic to chlorophyl and vinegar along with a few of her "dislikes". 

of course by day two of the workshop she was spotted sneaking herself a nice big mixed greens salad with vinaigrette. 

also had the pleasure of taking care of a woman at a luxury spa with a seven page list from her doctor of things she couldn't eat... my first recommendation would have been to get herself a second opinion. she was very nice, gave me some examples of what she ate at home so we worked out menus for her stay but wow.... seven pages? 

2. foodpump

foodpump

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Jungian confernce....?  Would these be people who study the writings of Jung, and perhaps Freud?

I'll never forget the the private lecture from my gr. 12 pysch teacher when she read my essay on those two guys.  I happened to focus on their their ummmmm... "preocupation" with coke instead of thier  writings.....  

3. piratechefny

piratechefny

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    it was the strangest group of yabbos that i have ever seen.... and i lived in San Francisco for a bit. i don't know about the coke but i'm pretty sure peyote was passed out for breakfast. 

think i remember you from chef2chef.... been a while. 

4. kyheirloomer

kyheirloomer

Exp:
    Food Writer
    So it's definitely not a "fashionable "thing.

Sure it is, Katbalou. The unfortunate fact is that for everyone like you, with a legitimate reaction to gluten, there are currently ten or a dozen restaurant patrons claiming to have it---and twice that number at any uptown cocktail party.

My youngest's pappy-in-law is a celiac, and I know the sorts of things he can and cannot eat (not to mention what is wife goes through trying to feed him). So I'm certainly not bad-mouthing people who truly suffer. What I'm saying is simply that people claim to have allergies when they don't for a long list of reasons, not the least of which is that a particular one might be the politically correct ailment de jure. And "gluten-intolerant" happens to fit that category at the moment.

Let's look at the numbers. Your's is more than twice the one I have, but let's accept it as correct. In practical terms, that means one out of every hundred people you meet is gluten intolerant. One out of one hundred. So how come everybody I meet lately claims to be gluten intolerant? Not two out of a hundred. Not three. Almost everybody.

Among restaurant patrons the numbers should be even lower, because people who are gluten intolerant do not represent the dining public as a whole. So let's go with my number, just to have a starting point. That would mean every legitimate gluten intolerant patron represents 220 regular customers.

If we assume your restaurant serves a total of 400+ meals, that means at most 2, count 'em, 2 patrons would be intolerant to one degree or another. Yet I'll bet a steak dinner to a stale doughnut that a significantly higher number will claim it.

Another straw in the wind: There have been, the past five or six years, a fair number of cookbooks published for those suffering gluten intolerance. If the number of people who claim it truly were intolerant those books would be flying off the shelves. Yet, they languish. Ask any publisher how many of those books sell. If they're willing to reveal the numbers you'll find that book sales don't even come close to covering the author's advance.

5. gunnar

gunnar

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Well, hypocondriacs aside, I'll take that steak dinner and hand you that stale donut. I am however willing to agree that many a person may indeed be misdiagnosed or just claim that they are gluten intolerant (i've met maybe 10 since I have heard of it 2 1/2 years ago) to celiac (i've met 2). With as many as you are meeting though, I am curious as to what is going on in Kentucky these days, but maybe you are hanging out in too rarified an area with a direct line to the latest fad from Beverley Hills?

As an aside modifying a dish to be gluten or wheat free for my wife has been fairly easy. It's not nearly as hard as trying to avoid high fructose corn syrup. I did have to label check  quite a few soy sauces till I found the brand that I use. Also while my sauces may not be up to ACF standards they are still tasty. My biggest drawback at this time is finding or making a bread that I like that's gluten free.  Although with the Dolsas I have been introduced to, we have a delicious crepe substitute now.

In short, while you may be hearing about it a lot these days and quite a few people may concerned about the possibility they too are afflicted with this issue, it will go much like bird or swine flu and fizzle out , except for those that actually have it.

6. Iceman

Iceman

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    OK. First point is my uneducatedness about "high fructose corn syrup". Please help me out on that.

Secondly, I do believe in the idea of "flavor of the week" allergies or intolerances. Many people will claim they are in some particular situation because they feel it will get them special treatment and/or consideration. I'm not making that up. I read it in two different trade journals, one each of two different trades, so it's got to be true. I also saw it happen in the public school system. Children claim lactose intolerance in order to get out of drinking milk and being allowed pop or soda instead. 

Next and lastly, I worked in a place that all at once saw a massive breakout of "mad cow", "swine flue" and the "bird virus" that wiped us out mercilessly. After the doctors, inspectors, scientists and clean-up crews were all finished they came to the joint conclusion that we experienced  .......................................

.................... Farmageddon.

(Hey look, I'm not sayin', I'm just sayin'.)

7. katbalou

katbalou

Exp:
    Professional Chef
  8. allium

allium

Exp:
    Line Cook
    From the Facts and Figures:

"A positive attitude, 100% of the time, helps celiacs create a gluten-free lifestyle for themselves and their affected family members."

I'm not saying anything about celiacs, trying to rebut anything, &c.--this sentence just made me laugh. I don't really know what it means, or how it could be considered a fact.

9. radleycooks

radleycooks

Exp:
    Line Cook
    Last year, on most Wednesdays we would have a lady and her husband come in, always with a reservation. He would order off the menu but on the res book it would always notify us under special requests "blue fillet" for her.

This is what she was looking for: about 30 minutes before their reservation time we would pull a fillet out of the lowboy, toss is on a sizzler and leave it out on the counter. When we got their ticket in we would fire the husband's order and at the last minute sear the fillet and send it just like that..

8 oz of room temp beef with a crust.

Almost every week for a year we'd get it. 

You get the odd stuff every once in a while but we actually really enjoyed sending the blue fillet, it was always an event for some form of tasteless joke such as those routinely shared on the line. Good times.  

10. phaedrus

phaedrus

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I'd absolutely be down for a customer like that.  Sounds like she's always cool about it and you always know ahead of time.  It's awesome when a customer wants their beef nearly raw as opposed to burned to a cinder...especially when it's a woman!  Where I work we don't offer a filet on the menu but often feature them.  And when we do, inevitably half the customers order it medium well or doner./img/vbsmilies/smilies/mad.gif

Last edited: Feb 2, 2011
  11. radleycooks

radleycooks

Exp:
    Line Cook
    Haha. Filets well done should be ordered "why bother."

chicago chef likes this.
  12. chefgord

chefgord

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Milk/cream in coffee=BLECH!

A nice dark roast, black, is the way to go.

Lately i've begun to appreciate the 'Americanos' that i've been making at work with the new espresso machine. It's like a warm coffee hug in the mouth.

13. chefgord

chefgord

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    HA!!!

I only laugh because i hear that request most every week during brunch.

14. shichangchu

shichangchu

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Yeah the other hollandaise request I've gotten is no butter.

15. knife4hire

knife4hire

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    somehow I don't think boiling hot hollandaise would work too well... haha

16. tonyc

tonyc

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    My 2 all time favorites:

I'm allergic to SALT, but I'll have the shrimp.

Bacon cheeseburger, sub veggie burger

17. dontcallmechef

dontcallmechef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    My personal favorite it: " Is this fish a fishy, fish"?  The other day I had one of the waiters at work ring in a ticket that said " filet- well done". besides the obvious, that person was also in a rush and requested timely service, to which I replied "ok, to make it much faster as if he wouldn't mind if I butterfly the filet " the waiter came back and replied with " he said he does not want you to butterfly it because he would like it to be juicy still" (sound of a full service line of laughter)

Also the "somewhere between medium rare and medium"

the " can I have mine medium rare with no pink, please?"

on more than one occasion Ive gotten from the middle aged women "hmmm.. I never know how I like my steak cooked is medium rare bloody? honey how do I like my steak"? How in 45 years do you  not know how you like your meats prepared?

anyway those are my few.