Wedding reception dinner meal @$12pp?

Discussion in 'Professional Catering' started by ribshak1, Feb 3, 2011.

1. ribshak1

ribshak1

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    I have a friend, who has a daughter ,who wants a quote for a reception dinner. Problem is she only has a budget of about $12.00pp. Guest count is about 150. Can someone,anyone give me suggestions for a menu in this price range. Also note that, I usually am the one cooking, prepping, etc.. but I will actually be at the wedding myself, so I will have to hire extra help. My first thought was to graciously decline offer, I'm use to plates in the $15-25pp.

Help

2. petemccracken

petemccracken

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I'd decline and refer her to Subway, KFC, etc., or her local supermarket deli trays.

IMHO, $12/person (150#$12 = $1,800.00) might cover the cost of labor and possibly rentals/disposables

katbalou likes this.
  3. ribshak1

ribshak1

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    That's the way I'm leaning. Thanks. Is Porteville up past ukiah or Napa area?

4. chefjake

chefjake

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Hello,

My name is Jacob and I'm a personal chef serving ppl in their homes meal planning & dinner party services, every know & than I get request based on this your talking about, it absolutly frustrates me, because your worth more than that.

Question; Why don't you respond to the client & explain to them what your really worth, why the price would be more based on all the work you have to put forward, like labour, menu planning, serving staff, quality of food & time.

The experience; The client's will remember the experience for a life time and will think I'm glad I spent the price it was well worth it.

Alternatively; They can hire a cheaper caterer & recieve frozen product's.

Repetation; Also remember your reputation is on the line when you take smaller jobs, everyone will think they can hire you cheaper.

take care 

5. chefbillyb

chefbillyb

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    If It's sit down do a Chicken Kiev, rice pilaf and veg salad and roll........Wedding cake for dessert...........Buffet, offer a Carved Top Round with aujus/creamed horseradish, roasted potatoes and hot veg, relish try, salad, roll............

6. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    you are the only one who can answer whether it's worth it for you.....if you are already serving $15 meals, 150 @ $12 is not a huge stretch.

Chicken Mirabelle (can be made in advance, warmed and served easily)  use thighs.

Salad....can be made in advance dressed on site, ceasar or greens with cranberries, croutons...? whatever is your standard salad

rolls/butter

Starch....easy for staff.....either rice or mashed potatoes or roasted potatoes if the facility has ovens....

Or I'm loving the chicken pot pie in vol a vents as a low budget entree (already loaded with veg)

Salad

rolls/butter

Their wedding cake....Their beverages unless they want to pay you for them....their rentals.....you just do dinner.

Appetizers...chef's choice if you feel like it or offer it over the $12.

If the site gives you latitude on setup time then do the buffet set up early....you'll save $ on the setup end. 

7. foodpump

foodpump

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    I don't know what the client's expectations are.  Food only at $12.00 is do-able, not a money maker or a reputation maker, but do-able.

Stuff like hall rental and chinaware and glasware are not mentioned, nor is labour, and my gut feeling is, that if the client is throwing $12./pp at you, then the client has abolutely no idea about rentals and labour and is assuming you will do the whole thing --from setting up the hall to coffee and tea service and a cake for that price.

My gut feeling would be to say "I'm booked for that date".

8. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    or better yet, say this is for food only....not rentals, beverages, and any staff other than those needed for food.

9. ribshak1

ribshak1

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Thanks to all for replies, I did talk with client and informed them about pricing issues. After consideration, we both agreed that my services could not be utilized. They opted to do a "TACO BAR". Best thing that comes out of it all, I don't loose out on money, my reputation won't get tarnished, and I still get an invite to wedding. Thanks again to all for GREAT information.

10. petemccracken

petemccracken

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    45 miles north of Bakersfield, 75 miles southeast of Fresno, intersection of State highways 65 & 190

11. chefbillyb

chefbillyb

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I don't understand the perception, that a Caterer has to charge a lot of money to be considered a quality Caterer. I have shinned in every catering I have ever done, I don't care if it's a $6 to $8 lunch, or a $125 per person 5 course dinner. The quality of a Caterer shines through at every price range....................ChefBillyB

12. petemccracken

petemccracken

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Absolutely, but one DOES have to cover the costs of food and labor at a minimum.

And then there are those that do not grasp the difference between a caterer and a bulk food supplier /img/vbsmilies/smilies/wink.gif

13. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    No insult intended but'''''Since we all assume  as they do that they will only get married once  once. Why not do it right.Cut the list to 75 then you have $24.00 to work with which is in the ballpark .

Look at it this way A Big Meal at Burger King is now  $5.29 ????? For the amount of staff you will need for 150 correctly  IT CAN"T BE DONE  unless you do football style==Everyone brings a dish.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2011
  14. chefbillyb

chefbillyb

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Pete, I could still walk out of this catering making 40 to 50% profit. How much labor do you need for a buffet and food cost and some kitchen prep. It would sure beat the Hell out of a Taco bar.....................CBB

15. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    I would not do a gig like this Simply because, how good can you do for 150 people for $1800..00. ?

The other 148 people there  may think that this is what this caterer does all the time.My best advertising and least expensive is Word of Mouth

16. petemccracken

petemccracken

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    ChefBillyB,

My point precisely!

If you can provide what the client desires for the price the client wants to pay and you can cover your costs with enough left to satisfy you and do it in a manner that is complimentary to the rest of your business, do it!

Know your costs, understand what the client desires, recognize what your goals are, and if it all comes together, DO IT.

If any part is unacceptable to YOU, for whatever reason, DON'T DO IT!

For me, with the information presented, I would probably pass on this "opportunity". That is for ME, MY operation, and what is important to ME.

17. chefbillyb

chefbillyb

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Pete, the Keyword to me in this post was, "Friends Daughter" I wouldn't do this for this price normally.....................

18. petemccracken

petemccracken

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Whoops, read toooo fast, missed that! And, for many, may be a very real key element in the decision!

19. xjmrufinix

xjmrufinix

Exp:
    Sous Chef
    Just did a function for $12.50 a head for about 200 the other day. We have a facility so there was no rental involved, but it was quite doable at that price. It was nothing fancy - choice of grilled chicken or roast beef, roasted potatos, mixed veg, rolls and a cookie/brownie platter for dessert - but with time s being as tough as they are we're reluctant to turn away business. Like in this situation, it was something a personal favor, a funeral reception for a long-time customer. I don't know how happy I'd be doing this all the time, but I like to think that if 200 people came and had a good experience, some of them knowing that we put this together on a tight budget with very little notice, it may come back in the form of more business later. 

20. chefbillyb

chefbillyb

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    XJ, what part of CT ???????????? I am from the elegant, affluent, Resort town of Bridgeport...............