Website

Discussion in 'Pastries & Baking' started by panini, Sep 19, 2004.

1. panini

panini

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    I don't know if this is in the right place. But does anyone else have problems have their work show on other persons website? We even tried to put our names across the pic, but it seems they can delete this.
    This is not a financial concern, we're booked thru 10-05 It just drives my wife and decorator crazy. Anybody know how to write over pics without making it look condesending.. We actually had one of our cakes in a large wedding rag without permission. We're small an only work within a 12 mile radius, knock on wood. I guess it's not a big a deal as I type this but we had a bride in yesterday and had one of our pictures from another website( we knew it was ours), she asked if we could do something like this. It sucks to try to talk someone into doing something you've already done well.
    Sorry for the rant :confused:

2. chrisi sweets

chrisi sweets

You could always try and do an edit on the photo before you ever post it. Once you get into edit, use the typing feature and type your name in a place that will make it hard from someone else to erase or cut off with their edit feature. If someone tries to re edit it to use as their own, it more than likely will look like they lifted it from another....

3. panini

panini

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Chrisi Sweets,
    The writing across(edit as you call it) My wife had done that and now half our names are missing. I'm not the pro, she is. Take a look at my site. If you look, some of the pictures have our name and most do not now.
    I'm going to assume someone has the ability to edit out site,or, I've been told that you can cut edit and paste.
    I will pass on your info to my wife. I was browsing some sites to see what they do and low and behold a large site in NY has one of my cakes on their cover. It's the tall on with the butterflies and dragon flies. They went even one step further and straightened it because it had been scanned and looked like it was tilting.
    paninicakes.com

4. headless chicken

headless chicken

Exp:
    Line Cook
    The only legal avenue I can think of is to secure a copyright for your pictures but I don't know how much those cost. If you ever catch someone using the same photo that has the copyrights protection tag edited out, you can report it and possibly recieve some royalties.

5. chrisi sweets

chrisi sweets

Your cakes are absolutely beautiful and it would be a shame to have to put a name across them...even if you use special coding in the website to stop the right click copy feature they can still copy it if they really want to...I would definitely check into the copyrights Headless Chicken suggested...good luck.

6. salvatore

salvatore

just checked out your site, Panini...very nice work. I do find it somewhat of a shame if you have to draw attention from the great work you and yours have done on the cake by having to have the name set across it.

7. panini

panini

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Well, over employee lunch today, we have decided to do nothing. Kind of funny, Salvatores post was the vote. Take the names off. If they want it, oh well.
    I will tell anyone who goes to the site from here, look at the cookie cake. This was created a many years ago for a groom who just didn't want cake and loved chocolate chip cookies. We presented this at The Mansion on Turtle Creek (5 star) with pitchers of milk around it. It was a great hit! We now do tons of these. They are great for offices and such. No plates,forks etc.
    I just throw this out there because somebody will be taking credit for it on MS or goodmorning something. :eek: For anyone interested I can describe how we make the cookie shell. This whole thing is edible.
    Sorry again for the rant :D

8. salvatore

salvatore

Happy if i was helpful. Like i said, from what i've seen, you guys to beutiful work. My personal philosophy has always been that pastry, more so than cooking, relies almost as much on sight as it does on tast. Visually, what i've seen from your site is beutifule, it's a shame to hide it behind writting because some people with no scruples steal your work. (as you can guess, i really dislike it when folks try to take credit for another persons hard work!).

9. m brown

m brown

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    plexi glass with your name etched into it between food and camera so it goes across all products, try to photoshop that!

10. panini

panini

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    LOL :)
    All of our deliveries are made by chefs who can repare if necessary. It's hard enough getting back the shipping boxes! can't imagine plexiglass. I'm just thinking? what if we have the lens to the camera etched?!?!?!?!OMG I'm going to that patent website now!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :p

11. rjhunt

rjhunt

Unless you are willing to hire an attorney and actively pursue people using your photos, there is no point in paying for copyright. Lawyers and lawsuits can cost you dearly.

It's a major pain in the butt that people lift the work of others. You do beautiful work. Reality is people can lift your photos, but hey, make it impossible for them to duplicate your quality!

I was married over 3 years ago. People STILL remark about how delicious the wedding cake was. It is the most frequent comment made. And, it was amazingly delicious. We had the bakers make us a smaller version for our 3rd anniversary. Delicious!

becca

12. fargesh

fargesh

becca is right on the money. There's really not too much you can do in a practical sense to protect any kind of intellectual property once it's on the web. If someone wants the pictures, they can get them. There isn't any kind of content protection that is hack-proof for very long.

What you have that the thieves don't is a gorgeous, quality product!

I would persue the magazine that published your photo, though. If you can produce the original photo that was lifted, you should be able to easily persuaded them to run an apology or give you some ad credit.

fargesh